Face Creams...which ones really work?

birdie16

Every night, I put on what I call my "oceans of lotions and potions."

Only problem with Botox is you have to have it done every 3-4 mos. At roughly $300-500. That's just crazy! I can't see doing that long term.

Every night, I put on what I call my "oceans of lotions and potions."

Only problem with Botox is you have to have it done every 3-4 mos. At roughly $300-500. That's just crazy! I can't see doing that long term.

In south Florida, I've been given quotes from $600 to $800 for 2 areas (forehead + frown lines) of Botox. I believe these are the 2 areas that most women have done. There are introductory specials for less but only for the first treatments. I also had my eye area injected to reduce undereye wrinkling and crow's feet, but I thought it made my eyelids look bad. Also, when you have the forehead and frownlines done, it makes it hard to put on eyeshadow because you cannot lift your brow, so you have to use both hands.

Jane, I just noticed that StriVectin is coming up on the Canadian Shopping Channel next month. Is there a specific product that you recommend?

Stick with the original - StriVectin-SD.

All the other products are specialty such as for the neck, eyes, etc.

They do have a new serum for deeper wrinkles but have not heard any feedback on it's effectiveness yet. They sent me a bottle of it, but haven't tried it yet as I'm in the process of moving and everything's getting packed up. However, I don't have deep wrinkles, so I don't think I'm the best candidate for a trial test.

If you have deeper wrinkles, I'd recommend asking a doctor for a retinA prescription, unless you have a skin condition preventing you from using it.

BTW, StriVectin guarantee's results and will refund your money if you don't get any. However, remember compliance is the biggest issue. Many people don't stick to the prescribed regimen and then badmouth the product saying it doesn't work. Used properly, it does work.

I mean, there are some good creams out there that "reverse" FINE lines, as in ones that probably could've been prevented (and "reversed") simply by drinking more water..., but as far as taking 20 years off of you....especially for under $20...never seen any proof of anything like that. If you find something, though, please let us know!

Even the best face lift can't make someone look 20 years younger. So a cream, or a laser treatment certainly can't either.

To turn back the clock 20 years, one would have to have a Benjamin button! ;)

I have mild rosacea and use Renova with no problem. Insurance does not cover it...no "co pay" as someone else mentioned. It's $140 a tube. I order mine from an online Mexican pharmacy...$12 a tube. Same cream...better price.

Where do you order this from? I's be interested!!:)

Medsmex.com Ordered from them a few times....good prices...also an 800 number if you don't want to order online.

Thanks so much!!:) I think I'm ready to go to prescription-strength, but really did not want to pay over $100. Will try this - but good to know from someone that has already bought from them. (Trying to put off the Botox & Restylane as long as possible!!)

Thanks so much!!:) I think I'm ready to go to prescription-strength, but really did not want to pay over $100. Will try this - but good to know from someone that has already bought from them. (Trying to put off the Botox & Restylane as long as possible!!)

If you're going to be travelling to a foreign country, bring your prescription with you and buy it in a local pharmacy.

I buy RentinA in Paris, and I think I paid about $20. for a tube (I also buy MrJane110's eyedrops there. $45. here, $9.00 there) and a friend of mine bought her RetinA in Iceland for less than half the price of the US.

You can also buy Retin A in some places in the Caribbean.

I have purchased it in Cozumel and recently in Roatan for $15.80 without a prescription (it was the 0.l, the 0.05 was even cheaper:D).

Absolutely correct. Anything that promotes the ridding of wrinkles is lying. Think about skin and its consistency, when it loses its elasticity, there is nothing that can 'snap' the skin back.

However if you are looking to slow down the aging process there is a lot you can do. #1 stay out of the sun. #2 eat lots of foods with healthy oils (salmon, sardines) #3 take fish oil capsules #4 stay away from sugar

You may laugh, but I use Nivea on my skin - it's cheap and effective for my skin. My mother has used Nivea for years and is now in her 70's. She looks 20 years younger. I am 37 and I always get asked for my ID!

But don't fall for those empty promises on lotions and potions about reversing wrinkles. It's all rubbish - you can't do that without a facelift.

Totally agree. I started taking fish oil tabs a couple of years ago after reading some material that said it could reduce my chance of Alzheimer's later in life. (It's in my families line). Within 3-4 weeks I had several people compliment me on my skin and the extra sheen in my hair. I really feel a big difference if I skip a few days. My skin feels more moisturized and has a healthy glow to it. I still use SPF 30 on my face every day but the fish oil really seems to help from the inside out.

Personally, I think a trip to your dermatologist would be best. What works great for one person isn't always the best for another. I use many different skin care products (I'm a skin care junkie really) but I think it's combo of things -good skin care, healthy diet, exercise, trying to keep stress under control, vitamins & supplements (I swear by Carlson Labs Fish Oil-Lemon flavor), wearing sunscreen, genes, etc... Basically, I think that exfoliating regularly (forcing the cells to turnover) and keeping the skin moisturized (keeps the fine lines and wrinkles plump) are key.

Having said all that, I do think skin care products can help! I use a glycolic cleanser, Renova and I get regular facials, microdermabrasion & peels. I've tried things that my friends swore by and they didn't work for me or I had a bad reaction. Also, I think a dermatologist can recommend products that are RX and not filled with all the perfumes and other unnecessary ingredients that can irritate skin. Good luck!:)

Hi Jane,

Long time no talk to, I was asking advice from you last year when I went to Paris to visit my niece!

I was just wondering, can you describe your daily skin care regime and what products you use. I know you are in the beauty industry and are exposed to lots of different products.

I like the original poster, am looking for reasonably priced products that I can add to my daily skin care routine. Thanks in advance.

Hi Jane,

Long time no talk to, I was asking advice from you last year when I went to Paris to visit my niece!

I was just wondering, can you describe your daily skin care regime and what products you use. I know you are in the beauty industry and are exposed to lots of different products.

I like the original poster, am looking for reasonably priced products that I can add to my daily skin care routine. Thanks in advance.

Everyone's skin care routine is different according to their needs and issues.

I don't have rosacea, or overly sensitive skin, and I almost never break out.

My skin is normal/dry, hates the sun, and needs heavy duty moisturizer in winter.

Basic routine for AM:

Cleansing with mild cleanser.

Apply liquid vit C (Skinceuticals C E Ferulic is best, If too expensive, use Lumene capsules sold in CVS)

Apply a serum (this varies by day depending on my needs) or prptide cream (prefer dermaquest)

Apply eye cream w/ SPF (prefer Clarins)

Apply moisturizer (varies by weather & my diet)

Apply SPF product.

Always include neck and chest area for everything.

Apply makeup

PM

Cleanse off makeup (prefer Chanel, Kiehls, or Lancome)

Glycolic peel product 2X a week or Clarisonic Cleansing system 2X a week.

Use RetinA product 1-2X a week (if too pricey for you, or you don't need much use Roc brand).

Prevage as night cream

Eye cream geared for your specific needs.

Lip Balm

If you have specific questions about some brands I'm happy to give you my opinion, but not everything works the same on everyone.

On a tight budget, I like brands like Roc, Avene, and Embryolisse.

If you wear lipgloss, always use one w/ SPF since the shine attracts the suns rays making lips even more suseptible to skin cancer. Mission Lip protector is SPF20 and is only about $7.00 and it's fabulous.

Hope this is useful.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Jane that was good information. I was wondering about the RetinA product, is that by prescription or is there an actual brand of products. I am looking at the Roc as it is easily available in Canada.

What Glycolic peel product do you use?

What reasonably priced SPF product do you recommend?

Have you heard of Lumedia, it is supposed to be a skin brightening product?

I am currently using Clinque's Turnaround cream which I am trying to use up, I notice a slight difference with it but not much.

When I was in Nordstrom recently they tried to sell me La Mer products but the prices are outrageous and the review online are not great.

Anyway just trying to establish a routine as I have been lucky to not have to worry about wrinkles and such but lately I have noticed a couple of lines and thought I better start, I definitely think sun exposure and genetics have a lot to do with it.

Thanks so much!

• 1 month later...
I can get Roc at a drugstore? Can somebody tell me approx what it costs? Thanks! :)

It's about $22 a tube. I find it at Walgreen's, Ulta, and online. I have to say I was thrilled with the results of ROC when I first started using it - not so thrilled anymore - maybe it's done all it can do! So I'm on the hunt for a new anti-aging moisturizer.

I use the Olay Regenerist line. 3 years ago I had radiation to my neck and jaw and it left me pretty burned up with ultra-sensitive skin. Once the burns healed I started to try various products which was a huge waste of money as it seemed the more expensive the product the more it hurt my sensitive skin. Even Clinique, which I had used before the problems, burned.

One morning I was watching a network morning show and the "expert" they had on said that her consumer group or magazine, I forget which, had tested several products and found the Olay Regenerist line to be really good for wrinkles and moisturizing. I figured I'd give it a try. I'd thrown out so much stuff, another failed cosmetic experience wouldn't matter.

Their product is wonderful. The next time I visited my radiation oncologist, he and his nurse both remarked on how great my skin was looking. I use the moisturizer with SPF15 on my face and neck during the day and sometimes put the "serum" under it. At night I either use the night cream in the purple jar or the new "Microsculpting" stuff int he red jar which has visible results in a few days. Sometimes I use the serum underneath, too. (I know, I know, I sound like a commercial) I use the eye lotion during the day and the eye gel at night.

This year they came out with an SPF50 moisturizer and I use that if I'm going in the sun. Much nicer than regular sun screen. They also have a tinted SPF15 moisturizer that I use as a make up foundation.

As I said, their product has been very kind to my sensitive skin. It hasn't erased all of my wrinkles, but at 63 having had all that nasty radiation and a life-time in the sun, I can't expect miracles, but people always seem to be amazed when I tell them how old I am.

I am not an employee or stock holder of Olay. Just a happy consumer saving money on a good product.

Kellie - could you tell me what the smell of Olay's product is like? That is what I am finding is a big problem for me - especially with night creams. I can't stand that fragrance smell!! Unscented would be so much nicer!! I use a RetinA product at night - but can't use it everynight - too harsh for my skin. I need something to complement it without a lot of fragrance.

I don't know about everyone else, but I'll tell you what works for me. I'm almost 58 and I can honestly say that I probably look 15 years younger. (I didn't say I felt 15 years younger) and I have used Estee Lauder Day Wear since it came out. I swear by it. It has antioxidants (which I think is the main ingredient) and a SPF 15. It is the only thing I've used continuously. I think any antioxidant with a sunscreen would do the trick. I don't know if it will make you look younger but perhaps keeps you from aging as fast. Whatever you do, NEVER EVER go outside without sunscreen. And do not under any circumstances tan your face. And stay out of the tanning beds.

Kellie - could you tell me what the smell of Olay's product is like? That is what I am finding is a big problem for me - especially with night creams. I can't stand that fragrance smell!! Unscented would be so much nicer!! I use a RetinA product at night - but can't use it everynight - too harsh for my skin. I need something to complement it without a lot of fragrance.

The lotions don't have any fragrance I can determine. The creams have a very, very slight fragrance, so slight that it's almost undetectable.

If you buy cosmetics at Walgreens, I think you can bring them back even if you opened the package. Check with Walgreens to see if they still have that policy.

Archived