Face Creams...which ones really work?

birdie16

I am trying to cut costs and find a replacement for my Lancome creams. I have tried Roc and liked it, but now there are all these different creams in the drug stores, all claiming to restore my youth and remove wrinkles. Do any of these things really work? There is a new line in a red bottle, can't remember which company, then all the different Olay creams, etc. How can a person make up their mind?

If you're looking for anti-wrinkle creams that are less expensive than Lancome, then I think you're best bet is Roc.

I think that for the price, they're a great bang for the buck.

If your wrinkles are severe or deep, you might want to use a prescription retinoid cream. Not inexpensive, but does work. Get from your dr.

StriVecin works, and though pricier than Lancome on the initial monetary outlay, it's a lot le$$ because the it's a large tube, so the cost per ounce is a lot less.

If you're looking for anti-wrinkle creams that are less expensive than Lancome, then I think you're best bet is Roc.

I think that for the price, they're a great bang for the buck.

If your wrinkles are severe or deep, you might want to use a prescription retinoid cream. Not inexpensive, but does work. Get from your dr.

StriVecin works, and though pricier than Lancome on the initial monetary outlay, it's a lot le$$ because the it's a large tube, so the cost per ounce is a lot less.

Jane,

Do you know if retinoid creams can be used on sensitive skin? I have rosacea (under control these days, thankfully!), and some things tend to cause a flare-up.

Thanks!

Janine

Go get a prescription strength retinoid for night. Sunscreen for day. Best bet is Tazorac cream, if your skin can take it. Differin/Renova is a 'gentler' version; it is even used in mild cases of rosacea. Skip the OTC junk and Strivectin. A presciption retinoid is only a reasonable copay and lasts for many months. It will do more for your wrinkles than anything else.

Roc isn't bad, but compared to Rx; it's not nearly as effective.

Aside from a face lift, NOTHING will "restore" your skin to youth! Anything that keeps your skin moistuerized will help, but there is absolutely NOTHING that will rid you of wrinkles that have already formed. Sorry!

Jane,

Do you know if retinoid creams can be used on sensitive skin? I have rosacea (under control these days, thankfully!), and some things tend to cause a flare-up.

Thanks!

Janine

Hi Janine,

I went to a lecture about roseacea last month and honestly don't recall what the derm said about retinoid and roseacea patients.

That said, having roseaca, I'm sure you're under a doctor's care, and your Dr. is the best person to tell you if you can use Rentinoids or not.

I have mild rosacea and use Renova with no problem. Insurance does not cover it...no "co pay" as someone else mentioned. It's $140 a tube. I order mine from an online Mexican pharmacy...$12 a tube. Same cream...better price.

I, too, have mild rosacea. I have used Renova for years, but, for me, it does seem to irritate my skin somewhat now that I've developed rosacea. If I'm having a flair-up, I stop using Renova for a few days, or use it every other day.

I buy mine in Mexico too, when we visit my mother-in-law who lives in South Texas, for around $7 a tube.

I agree that probably there is no cream that actually removes wrinkles, though some may 'plump' the skin. Let me know if there is one! Renova is more of a preventative, working to keep skin from aging as fast.

Does it work? Hard to tell, unless you only used it on one side of your face for years, and who wants to do that? My only 'proof' is that when I'm out with my young grandkids people are always mistaking me for their mom. Since the youngest is five, I just grin and say, "Yes, she's my miracle birth." And them correct them. (I'm 64)

About two years ago I bought the book "Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me". There's also a website by the same author, beautypedia.com. Do some reading and find out what is really in those products that cost $20, $30 or more. This book has saved me a lot of money, because now I'm not tempted by buy products that may or may not work as advertised. The cost of the book ($20), or a subscription to the website ($25/year) is very low compared to what you can spend on face creams and other cosmetics. The book makes recommendations across all brands and price ranges, so you can pick and choose among the best products for you.

Thanks for all the advice! I will save my money and continue with the Roc, it seems to be working fine. It's just all those bottles, tubes and jars in the magazines and on the shelves look so tempting! LOL. I will check out the book suggestion.

I have sensitive, dry skin, and use Differin at night. It is a milder retinoid than products like Retin-A. I think that these prescription products are the only ones tested by the FDA and proven to reduce fine lines and wrinkes. My cost is a $50 co-pay per tube, but it lasts for months.

During the day I use an AHA lightening gel for brown spots, then Finacea (another prescription product which is a $50 co-pay) for rosacea. Then sunscreen on top.

All in all I spend maybe $20 a month for face products that are FDA-approved.

Aside from a face lift, NOTHING will "restore" your skin to youth! Anything that keeps your skin moistuerized will help, but there is absolutely NOTHING that will rid you of wrinkles that have already formed. Sorry!

Absolutely correct. Anything that promotes the ridding of wrinkles is lying. Think about skin and its consistency, when it loses its elasticity, there is nothing that can 'snap' the skin back.

However if you are looking to slow down the aging process there is a lot you can do. #1 stay out of the sun. #2 eat lots of foods with healthy oils (salmon, sardines) #3 take fish oil capsules #4 stay away from sugar

You may laugh, but I use Nivea on my skin - it's cheap and effective for my skin. My mother has used Nivea for years and is now in her 70's. She looks 20 years younger. I am 37 and I always get asked for my ID!

But don't fall for those empty promises on lotions and potions about reversing wrinkles. It's all rubbish - you can't do that without a facelift.

I was really hoping for a face cream you can buy for under $20, that removes 20 years and stops aging with continued use...I guess it was a pipe dream! :-)

Actually, the Roc was my docs suggestion a couple of years ago. Without a prescription I think that is a pretty good buy. I am not ready for a face lift yet..not sayin' I won't someday though. What a racket these cosmetic companies have!

I don't believe that any creams can reduce wrinkles or restore youthful skin, but you can slow the process. My dermotologist recommends moisterizer, sunscreen, and Retinol products (prescription strength). I also use Tri-Luma for fading brown spots (it works but you have to keep using it; it's available by prescription for about $150 a tube). Botox works great to prevent wrinkles from forming and to smooth minor lines, but it only lasts 3-4 months and is very costly, $2000-3000/yr for both frown lines and forehead wrinkles.

About two years ago I bought the book "Don't go to the Cosmetics Counter Without Me". There's also a website by the same author, beautypedia.com. Do some reading and find out what is really in those products that cost $20, $30 or more. This book has saved me a lot of money, because now I'm not tempted by buy products that may or may not work as advertised. The cost of the book ($20), or a subscription to the website ($25/year) is very low compared to what you can spend on face creams and other cosmetics. The book makes recommendations across all brands and price ranges, so you can pick and choose among the best products for you.

I lost all respect for her opinions when she started flogging her own products.

I lost all respect for her opinions when she started flogging her own products.

I know what you mean, I don't like how all her products earn her highest rating either. But, given that she also gives products from other brands high ratings and rave reviews, I still think there's merit in her work. I also like how she points out the best of the lower-priced options, making it clear that you don't have to spend a lot to get superior products.

I wash my face with Noxzema, and I love Chanel's "Precision" for overnight. It smooths and moisturizes the skin.

I switched about a year ago to 100% Chanel skin care (i've since strayed to a bit of Guerlain eye cream ;) ) and it made a huge difference in my skin. Love it!!

Hi Janine,

I went to a lecture about roseacea last month and honestly don't recall what the derm said about retinoid and roseacea patients.

That said, having roseaca, I'm sure you're under a doctor's care, and your Dr. is the best person to tell you if you can use Rentinoids or not.

I have rosacea and cannot use retinol products.

Like someone said, no creams are going to restore your wrinkles to youthful. Consumer Reports did massive testing on most of these products, and the results weren't all that great. I also saw a show on our local Fox station, and they did a week of testing of many wrinkle products, using dermatologists, and again they all agreed that not much is accomplished with these cremes. But they did say that if you wanted to use something, the most expensive ones were the worst. They talked about using Stri Vectin and Oil of Olay.

Absolutely correct. Anything that promotes the ridding of wrinkles is lying. Think about skin and its consistency, when it loses its elasticity, there is nothing that can 'snap' the skin back.

However if you are looking to slow down the aging process there is a lot you can do. #1 stay out of the sun. #2 eat lots of foods with healthy oils (salmon, sardines) #3 take fish oil capsules #4 stay away from sugar

You may laugh, but I use Nivea on my skin - it's cheap and effective for my skin. My mother has used Nivea for years and is now in her 70's. She looks 20 years younger. I am 37 and I always get asked for my ID!

But don't fall for those empty promises on lotions and potions about reversing wrinkles. It's all rubbish - you can't do that without a facelift.

I too use Nivea (cream) - it is cheap but I really must have it as I am in my 50s and my skin is very dry. It leaves my skin soft (my grandmother turned me on to it) she had beautiful skin into her 90s:)

Jane, I just noticed that StriVectin is coming up on the Canadian Shopping Channel next month. Is there a specific product that you recommend?

I was really hoping for a face cream you can buy for under $20, that removes 20 years and stops aging with continued use...I guess it was a pipe dream! :-)

Actually, the Roc was my docs suggestion a couple of years ago. Without a prescription I think that is a pretty good buy. I am not ready for a face lift yet..not sayin' I won't someday though. What a racket these cosmetic companies have!

I mean, there are some good creams out there that "reverse" FINE lines, as in ones that probably could've been prevented (and "reversed") simply by drinking more water..., but as far as taking 20 years off of you....especially for under $20...never seen any proof of anything like that. If you find something, though, please let us know!

I personally believe in getting botox at a young age...even as young as 20 for some people due to its' preventative capabilities. Yes, botox costs a good amount, but think of the amount in creams that you'll be spending trying to reverse damage that's irreversible.

Archived