Bringing soft drinks onboard? Is this to change?

Considering that the package is advertised as saving money over buying individual bottles throughout the week I don't think the target audience brings drinks on board with them. Since there are people who do buy those bottles of water on board there will definitely be people who buy the package because for them it really is saving money (no matter how backwards it is).

I keep waiting for them to ban bringing on soda and water. They charge around $6 a day for their soda package. That is for fountain sodas which cost around a nickle, if that much, per glass. That is a heck of a mark-up. probably better than the mark up on alcoholic drinks. Even charging $2.25 a can with tip yields a nice mark-up.

Actually, Carnival did try banning bringing on soda/water once. I think it lasted about a month.

I usually bring on a few bottles of diet Dr. Pepper in my suitcase. The room it takes up is filled with things coming home.

Tucker in Texas

The water package was available on our June 11th Explorer sailing. We did bring a case of water on ourselves.

Yes the package was on our April/May cruise too but the bottles are bigger so I do not like them to bring into port as heavy in bag. I like the smaller bottles I bring with us for ports:)

Taking aside the price of the packages, couldn't the cruiselines stop any liquids being brought onboard like it is banned on airlines in the interests of security and safety?

Not if they want to stay in business, not to add banning liquids would have absolutely nothing to do with safety. It's nothing but pure greed! Unlike the airlines, the cruise lines pretty much have you hostage for the duration of your cruise which consist of days, not hours. Additionally, with regarding to airlines, once you pass security you bring whatever you want onto the flight with you. However, on the ship it's not like you can buy drinks elsewhere. Granted we all have paid a nice penny for drinks at specific restaurants while at home, but that's just for one evening not 7 nights straight. Even when you take a land trip at a resort you have the option to buy drinks off the property. When you are on the ship you just have to accept the high prices, which is why this nickel and diming is getting to be more prevelent and irritating for cruisers. However, as with any business, as long as the people keep giving them what they want, they will continue to practice this which is why cruising is no longer what it use to be.

Why do people bring water aboard instead of a water filter? Water is heavy. A filter is light. Water is bulky. A filter is easy to pack. Bottle water that you bring aboard runs out. As long as there is water in your cabin, you will have an unlimited supply of filtered water. Bottled water is expensive. Filtered water pitchers are cheap. For under $15, you can get a pitcher and filter that will filter hundreds of gallons of water.

What is it with so many people wasting money, carrying heavy loads, and bringing limited supplies, when the alternative is cheaper, lighter and unlimited?

I usually drink the tap water from my stateroom or the iced water in the restaurants, but that's a good idea. I might do that on my next cruise.

Archived