Bringing soft drinks onboard? Is this to change?

As RCI are rolling out from 30th August 2009 a new selection of beverage packages that include water and juices, does this mean the end to allowing guests bring their own water and soda onboard?

There is a new water package available. Evian 750ml bottles that can be pre-ordered and delivered to your stateroom.

From the UK you can pre-order a

8 pack of water at a cost of £20.29 (including 15% gratuity = £2.54 per bottle)

16 bottle package at a cost of £36.04 (incl 15% gratuity = £2.25 per bottle).

I understand the US$ prices are for 6 pack water $32.72, and 16 pack $58.13, but not sure if these incude 15% gratuity.

Juices are Minute Maid (Apple, Orange or Ruby Red Grapefruit - no mention of bottle size)

6 pack costs £14.36 = £2.39 per bottle

8 pack costs £18.01 = £2.25 per bottle

12 pack costs £25.34 = £2.11 per bottle.

All the juice prices above include 15% gratuity.

For US$ prices they are for 6 juice pack $23.17, 8 pack $29.04 and 12 pack = $40.88, again not sure if these include 15% gratuity.

As RCI are rolling out from 30th August 2009 a new selection of beverage packages that include water and juices, does this mean the end to allowing guests bring their own water and soda onboard?

I have not heard them saying that soda and water can not be brought on board. Politically, I do not think they can easily disallow water and soda as they can alcohol.

I understand the US$ prices are for 6 pack water $32.72, and 16 pack $58.13, but not sure if these incude 15% gratuity . . . For US$ prices they are for 6 juice pack $23.17, 8 pack $29.04 and 12 pack = $40.88, again not sure if these include 15% gratuity.
Holy cow! That's $5.45/bottle for water purchased in six-packs, $3.63/bottle for water purchased in packs of 16. 3.86/juice purchased in six-packs, and 3.34/juice purchased in 12 packs. AND you have to keep it in your cabin and chill it yourself! At these prices, why wouldn't anyone purchase it one bottle at a time, get it ice cold, and not have it knocking about the cabin getting in the way of things?

Outrageous! I just bought a 24-pack of water today for $2.99. I don't buy juice often, so I can't comment on that, but I'm sure you can have a large family-sized bottle for less than three dollars!

I don't see this one going over with the consumer.

Any other cruise lines planning on doing this? My wife drinks bottled water because she can taste the difference between locations. When we travel, she'll only drink bottled water. I'm not as particular so it's not going to affect me.

It's funny the RCI would claim as part of getting rid of the mints that waste disposal was part of the problem. Now they appear to want to sell bottled water. Something isn't making a lot of sense unless they figure to get the waste disposal fee's from the passengers by requiring you buy the water at greatly inflated rates.

Any other cruise lines planning on doing this? My wife drinks bottled water because she can taste the difference between locations. When we travel, she'll only drink bottled water. I'm not as particular so it's not going to affect me.

It's funny the RCI would claim as part of getting rid of the mints that waste disposal was part of the problem. Now they appear to want to sell bottled water. Something isn't making a lot of sense unless they figure to get the waste disposal fee's from the passengers by requiring you buy the water at greatly inflated rates.

The water purification systems in the ships these days are state of the art - they eliminate any taste, smell and germs. I was very surprised when I learned that they make the water continually from sea water. But to each his own.

Re mints, whatever RCCL said was the problem, I think a part of it is that it is too easy to soil bed linen without even having the candy. Imagine how easy it is to leave the mints and/or wrappers in the bed, next day the attendant does not find it, off into the laundry goes the linen and there it just gets soiled. Besides someone did the math and it will save RCCL a million a year :)

What a joke!:mad: You can easily stop at a grocerry store (or walmart/costco/sams) before heading to the port to buy water, pop, and juice at a fraction of the cost, so why would anyone consider paying these ridiculous prices is beyond me!

What a turn off that they would even consider price gauging like this.

One thing to keep in mind is Evian is considered "high-end" water it cost more at restaurants and even in grocery stores than other bottled waters.

The packages that Disney offers is either Dasani or Aquafina (whichever one is owned by Coke, one brand is owned by Coke and the other is owned by Pepsi) which is basically extra purified city water.

Is Evian worth the extra cost over Dasani/Aquafina or the ships water is up to the end-user.

What a joke!:mad: You can easily stop at a grocerry store (or walmart/costco/sams) before heading to the port to buy water, pop, and juice at a fraction of the cost, so why would anyone consider paying these ridiculous prices is beyond me!

What a turn off that they would even consider price gauging like this.

Some first time cruisers on Rhapsody didn't know they could bring water/soda on board and paid for the package. There will always be people buying these pacakges who either don't or don't care.

One thing to keep in mind is Evian is considered "high-end" water it cost more at restaurants and even in grocery stores than other bottled waters.

The packages that Disney offers is either Dasani or Aquafina (whichever one is owned by Coke, one brand is owned by Coke and the other is owned by Pepsi) which is basically extra purified city water.

Is Evian worth the extra cost over Dasani/Aquafina or the ships water is up to the end-user.

This is not true. I just sailed the Disney Magic on 4/22 and purchased the water package. It was Evian water, not Dasani or Aquafina.

What a joke! You can easily stop at a grocerry store (or walmart/costco/sams) before heading to the port to buy water, pop, and juice at a fraction of the cost, so why would anyone consider paying these ridiculous prices is beyond me!

Convenience. I did not pay RCCL's high prices but as I said above, I bought Disney's water package for $38. We flew into Orlando and used Disney's transportation to get to the port so it wasn't convenient for me to buy water after landing. I've heard some people actually check-in alcohol, beer, and water with the airline from home but I personally think that's crazier than paying $38 for a case of water. I'm not going to buy a case of water in Dallas and pay to fly it to Orlando as check-in luggage so I can bring it onboard! :)

Not on Disney Cruise Line.
Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know the policy on other cruiselines, like RC for instance?

I rarely drink, but I would bring a bottle along, just in case, maybe offer it to someone, maybe even have a few myself, if it's allowed.

I was definitely told that I couldn't bring liquor onboard from the ports we visited, and that if I did, they would confiscate it and give it back at the end of the trip.

Have I been misinformed?

Why do people bring water aboard instead of a water filter? Water is heavy. A filter is light. Water is bulky. A filter is easy to pack. Bottle water that you bring aboard runs out. As long as there is water in your cabin, you will have an unlimited supply of filtered water. Bottled water is expensive. Filtered water pitchers are cheap. For under $15, you can get a pitcher and filter that will filter hundreds of gallons of water.

What is it with so many people wasting money, carrying heavy loads, and bringing limited supplies, when the alternative is cheaper, lighter and unlimited?

Thanks for the info.

Does anyone know the policy on other cruiselines, like RC for instance?

I rarely drink, but I would bring a bottle along, just in case, maybe offer it to someone, maybe even have a few myself, if it's allowed.

I was definitely told that I couldn't bring liquor onboard from the ports we visited, and that if I did, they would confiscate it and give it back at the end of the trip.

Have I been misinformed?

From the RCI site (Onboard Policies)

Guests are not allowed to bring alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other use. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing.

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soft drinks bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol. Guests who violate any alcohol policies (over consume, supply alcohol to people aged under 21, demonstrate irresponsible behaviour or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and/or luggage check points or at any other time) may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of 21 will not have alcohol returned to them.

Archived