Cruise then DisneyWorld...Questions!

tropiclvrs

After our cruise next May, we're thinking about heading to Orlando for our first ever trip to DisneyWorld.

Does anyone know how long it would take to drive from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando? Anyone done this and have any experiences (good/bad) to share? Jsut tring to figure out if it would be worth it (our kids will 5 and 3).

Thanks!

We have done Disney World. It would take between 3 to 4 hours to drive to Orlando. Not to bad. The lines at DW will be long and hot. If we were doing it in may. I would go early in morning and late in the evening and the rest of the time would be at the pool. We prefer to DW in the fall or early spring, when school is still in session. The lines are only maybe 5 minutes if any. You can also go during free dining and the kids can go to a character breakfast or dinner. We love to stay at the Coronado. It has a great pool and the beds are great. Hope this helps. If you need anything else just let me know.:)

I was thinking it probably would be really hot/humid in May, but figured it might be a good use of our trip out to FL since we're from CA.

Do you think it would be "worth" it for a 3 and 5 year old? I think my DS (5) would have a blast but am wondering if my DD (3) woudl still be a bit too young to get the most out of it.

Thanks for your info!

I was thinking it probably would be really hot/humid in May, but figured it might be a good use of our trip out to FL since we're from CA.

Do you think it would be "worth" it for a 3 and 5 year old? I think my DS (5) would have a blast but am wondering if my DD (3) woudl still be a bit too young to get the most out of it.

Thanks for your info!

I took our kids to disney in march...my youngest was not quite 2 and the other one was 3.5 and they both loved it and we still talk about it. My 2 yr old is mickey crazy. Of course my older kids always enjoy it. We are going back for a few days in october where hopefully the lines will be better than they were in march.

After our cruise next May, we're thinking about heading to Orlando for our first ever trip to DisneyWorld.

Does anyone know how long it would take to drive from Fort Lauderdale to Orlando? Anyone done this and have any experiences (good/bad) to share? Jsut tring to figure out if it would be worth it (our kids will 5 and 3).

Thanks!

http://www.allearsnet.com

This was quite helpful when we were planning our trip to Disney World. Our favorite hotel is Port Orleans, which has a french quarter side and a riverside. The buildings are amazing and resemble plantations.

Our girls absolutely love Disney and started going at 3, so it would definitely be worth the trip.

We are leaving in about 2 weeks to head to Florida for our vacation. We will be stopping in Orlando for a couple of days to do the Magic Kingdom on our way to Miami for the cruise. Depending on traffic, stops, etc... it should take around 3 1/2 hours from Ft. Lauderdale. Are you planning on driving straight from the cruise ship to go to Disney the same day? If so, I would probably get a hotel in Orlando for the night and go the next day. We will be taking our 7 year old and 3 year old. Out of the two of them, our 3 year old is the most excited to be going to Disney, so I don't think that 3 is to young at all. If it were me, I would definitely go to Disney especially since you will be coming all the way from CA.

You should really reconsider stopping at Disney after your cruise. It is so much work to visit the theme parks, and very tiring. You would do better to go to Disney first--and THEN go on your cruise so you can truly relax.

CeleBrat

We're a little Disney crazy here in our house (we even honeymooned at DisneyWorld)... definitely agree with previous posters. your 3 year old will LOVE it. We took my son back in Feb (he was 18 months at time) not thinking he'd really get anything out of it and I can't even watch Extreme Home Makeover on ABC without him going crazy if Mickey comes on the t.v.

disney now has age-appropriate maps on their site to show which rides work for your various age groups. Will show any height requirements and also give you insight into fast pass, etc.

It will definitely be hot and humid at this time of year and lines will be long. That being said, if you are up for that, it would be great to go. Definitely plan to get there early (if you stay at Disney hotel you can possibly get in for the extra magic hour... check the Disney site for more details) and then leave and come back at night... we did this every day with DS and it worked out great. We all got great naps, hung around the hotel a bit and enjoyed ourselves. make sure you bring some snacks and little toys and things to entertain them while in line. If you have a stroller (or rent one), put something easily identifyable on the stroller so you can find it - it can be a nightmare especially in fantasyland where all the little kiddies are!

I believe there is a package deal with WDW and DCL where they provide the transportation to/from the hotel to the ship. When we stayed at the most fabulous Wilderness Lodge in WDW, I always saw buses that said Disney Cruise Line on them. I think you should base your decision on whether you and your spouse want to see WDW. The kids won't remember it when they're older anyways.

I believe there is a package deal with WDW and DCL where they provide the transportation to/from the hotel to the ship. When we stayed at the most fabulous Wilderness Lodge in WDW, I always saw buses that said Disney Cruise Line on them. I think you should base your decision on whether you and your spouse want to see WDW. The kids won't remember it when they're older anyways.

Yes, you can get Disney Cruise Line transfers from some of the Disney hotels. Is the OP doing a Disney cruise?

In Disney, there is the Free Disney magic express that runs from the airport to the Disney resorts. But then the Disney Cruise Line Transfers run from the resorts to the port. And they aren't cheap. So we've used them once, but then used a private town car service for the rest of our trips between WDW and port Canaveral. One year we also rented a car so we could do Sea World after the cruise and then head to the airport.

I LOVE Wilderness Lodge too. :D

I went to WDW in March with my 3 year old. He looooved it. He's been asking to go back ever since.

I also did a 1 week WDW stay post cruise a couple of years ago with my older 2 children. We cruised for a week first on a cruise that disembarked in Miami and then drove to Orlando. It took 5+ hours for the drive. There was an accident that closed the highway for over an hour. We had a great time though in both places.

May should be a very nice time to go. Older kids are in school, there aren't any long holidays, so it will be one of the least crowded times of the year - and it's not as hot and humid as the summer.

Thanks for all the replies!

We are actually planning on going on Oasis next May. While I do want to try Disney's line in the future, I think we prefer to try Oasis first. Maybe we'll do DCL when their new ships come out in a couple of years.

I also thought it would be best to do Disney first and then the cruise but the way the flights work out (we're using miles for the tickets), we would need to go after.

The 3 1/2 hour drive shouldn't be too big of a deal since we're used to traveling from So. Cal to No. Cal around 3 times per year (6-7 hour drives). I assume that one we get into Orlando we probably don't need the rental car any longer since everything is right there.

I ask about the ages becuase we just went to Disneyland for 2 days last month. While we all had a great time my DS (4) really didn't get into it as much as I thought he would. He even asked to go back to the hotel a few times! He did have fun on the rides but wasn't overjoyed with it all! He's been 4 times now but I think necxt year will be when he's more excited about it all (at least I hope so).

Thanks for all the replies!

We are actually planning on going on Oasis next May. While I do want to try Disney's line in the future, I think we prefer to try Oasis first. Maybe we'll do DCL when their new ships come out in a couple of years.

I also thought it would be best to do Disney first and then the cruise but the way the flights work out (we're using miles for the tickets), we would need to go after.

The 3 1/2 hour drive shouldn't be too big of a deal since we're used to traveling from So. Cal to No. Cal around 3 times per year (6-7 hour drives). I assume that one we get into Orlando we probably don't need the rental car any longer since everything is right there.

I ask about the ages becuase we just went to Disneyland for 2 days last month. While we all had a great time my DS (4) really didn't get into it as much as I thought he would. He even asked to go back to the hotel a few times! He did have fun on the rides but wasn't overjoyed with it all! He's been 4 times now but I think necxt year will be when he's more excited about it all (at least I hope so).

If he isn't that into DL, he may totally overwhelmed by WDW. Magic Kingdom is almost a duplicate of DL, so you could skip it if you want. I don't know that a 4yo will be too interested in much of Epcot, Animal Kingdom or the movie one (blanking on the name). My DD (at 8) liked parts of AK and Epcot, but found some of it boring. She did like the movie studio one, but she was older than your son. I think her favorite part was the pool at the hotel. :rolleyes:

This is our experience. The last time we were there was in fall of '04 and our son was 3 1/2. Now I don't know if he was just different than most 3.5 yr olds but he just didn't get into it. I don't know why, maybe a little too young, I suppose. And he still napped alot at that age so we would go back to the room once and maybe one day twice for him too nap. Now we still had a great time but it would have been better if he was more into it. It is a very tiring experience for anybody more less a young one. The wife and I love it, been there 6 or 7 times.

We are planning to take him next year when he is 9 so I'm thinking it will be a lot more enjoyable for him. Have fun whatever you do.

Shane

We made the drive in January and it's no big deal. The toll highway is really nice and there are regular stops along the way for food, gas, etc. We got off our cruise, caught a cab to the airport, and rented our vehicles there, then hit the road. We stopped for lunch and made it to Orlando by about 2pm.

I think Disney is a good choice for you, since you've basically got Seaworld and Universal at home. The Magic Kingdom is, as has been noted, the closest thing to Disneyworld; it was the first FL park and it was designed after the original in CA.

MGM Studios is fun and has some great stuff for kids, with a movie theme. There aren't as many rides, but there are some really good live shows, and their evening water/fireworks spectacular is one of my favourites.

Epcot, in my opinion, tends to appeal to older kids and adults. There are definitely kid-oriented activities, it's just a little more 'educational' than the others. My daughter made cookies at the Toll House display and we've got a great picture of it - from 6 years ago! (a great picture is always a great picture!) They also have an amazing fireworks display.

The Animal Kingdom is fantastic! It was easily my daughter's favourite, and on the 'Safari Ride' we learned how rhinos poop! :eek: They had a simply amazing Lion King live show that is not to be missed (sit near the front, there's lots of audience participation), and the parade is pretty cool too. There are again not as many rides, but there are tons of activities and interesting places to explore and see things.

My recommendation is to pick yourself up a guide book. Both when I took my neice at 5 and on our first trip with our daughter (at 5), I was able to pick up one specifically for 'Disneyworld with Kids'. They have amazing tips in them and can make your experience much smoother - they often have 'touring plans' that can help you move through the parks more easily than if you try to just look at the map and do things at random. Mind you, the maps are indespensible; always pick one up as soon as you arrive. Not only do they have the layout of the park, but the times of any shows or events that will be happening that day. The website mentioned above by Randisoko is also a really good one, as is the WDW site for gathering information about what's available at each park.

All of the hotels on site are fun. Even the All Stars hotels offer an excellent experience, with theme pools, available transportation, and great service. You're absolutely right about not needing your car after you get to Orlando. Even if you choose to stay off site, there will be some sort of shuttle available. On site is really worth it if you can do it, though; once you walk onto the property, you don't have to go anywhere else. The Disney Transportation takes you to and from your hotel, Downtown Disney, all the water parks and all the theme parks, and if you stay on site, you can get length of stay passes that tend to be the best deal going for tickets.

I lived in Florida for 12 Years, and now SoCal for 6 years. WDW is a million times better and different than DL!

Again, this may be biased since my husband and I were married at Disney World, honeymooned there as well, and our now 27 month old has been to all the Disney Parks on Earth, but there's definitely something great about WDW. It really feels like a complete resort. Make sure to hit up one of the water parks too! Tons of stuff for the little ones to do there.

We're doing a brief WDW trip in September before our FOS cruise. My son is 4. He's been going to Disneyland since he was 11 months old, but he's never been to WDW. I've been to WDW many times as an adult, the last trip being in February.

Here's what we're doing FWIW!

Flying in on Thursday evening. Having dinner at the Beach Club. We're staying at the Dolphin. Friday is Animal Kingdom in the AM, back to hotel for a swim, then Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party in the evening at the Magic Kingdom. Normally, we aren't at the parks so late, but since my son will think it's three hours earlier, we're hoping he'll be up for a night at the park! Saturday, we're planning to go back to the Magic Kingdom because we have lunch reservations at the Castle. But honestly, this is up in the air. If we do everything we want on Friday night, we may not kill ourselves getting to the park for rope drop. We plan to leave the MK after lunch and go back to the hotel. Then, we have dinner reservations in Epcot. We may or may not do any attractions at Epcot. Sunday morning, we're getting up and heading to Port Canaveral.

When I was in WDW in February, I specifically was looking for things my son would like. This is how I decided to just concentrate on the Animal Kingdom and the Magic Kingdom for our trip in September.

I've used the Unofficial Guide to WDW for YEARS. I think it's the best. The touring plans are awesome. In February, on a very crowded day, my sister and I used the MK touring plan, and we were seriously done by 11:30AM. We rode everything we wanted without any waits.

Also, the DisBoards are a great source of info and most people on there are very nice.

Good luck!!!

Hi,

DH and I did the same as you want to do but in reverse; we hit DW first and then drove down to Ft. Lauderdale. It was perfectly fine. Being from CA we thought it would take at least 6 hours to make the drive...it was a total of 3.5 (we stopped along the way to eat) we took the toll road because we were told that the Highway could get very congested. We too are from CA so some info for you...DW Magic Kingdom is the same as Disneyland, just much more spread out. It has a few differences but not many. MGM is just like CA Advent. for the stars walk area, but has some rides. We litteraly spent most of our time at the Epcot Center as DL does not have anything like it. We loved going through the different countries and trying all the different foods. The only funny thing in Epcot Center is they have "Soring" and then in little itty bitty print (over California). It is the same ride as at CA. Advent. but everyone in DW thought the places were all over the country not all in CA.

Anyway as for tacking it on to the cruise, why not? When else are you gonna be out there? Also from all that I saw the parks are so spread out that I would stick to only one or two a day. PS try finding the tickets online, I was able to get a great deal on a 3-day hopper pass.

I'm a disney world nut, I think 3 & 5 are the perfect ages. We've been to WDW the past 3 yrs when my youngest was not quite 2, not quite three and not quite 4. She loves every minute of Disney.

Disney World is huge and requires advance planning. I've spent 9 days at WDW and only hit the top of the iceburg of things to do there. If I were going after a cruise, I'd narrow down the choices and focus on two, maybe 3 parks at the most. We skipped Hollywood studios two years and only went this year to do the new Toy Story Mania but still, it is my least favorite park for kids.

MK is pretty self explanatory, a haven for small kids. Epcot is my daughters second favorite. We had a great day there before she hit the magic 40" mark, enjoyed a relaxed headliner free toddler tour of Epcot that included: Spaceship Earth, Character Spot, Turtle Talk, Finding Nemo ride, Figment/Imagination, boat ride in Mexico, Malestrom (norway), visiting the countires and meeting TONS of characters, princess lunch at Norway. Oh and if the Flower and Garden event is still going on, there are fun things with that too, playgrounds, a butterfly house and more. I think I'm forgetting something, but in any case, my kids love Epoct, and I'm never sure why people say it isn't for kids.

My favorite park is MK, followed by Epcot, and if you can affort it, look into the Monorail resorts. I love love love the Contemporary, it is awsome to be able to walk directly to MK and you are also on the monorail to Epcot. I think after a cruise, I'd try for a monorail resort and focus a short WDW trip on MK and Epcot with lots of down time to swim at the resort.

:)

Archived