Has anyone been on the MS Neptune on the Nile?

shadowdiver

So is anyone going on the September 23-Oct 7 Trip with Gate 1?

We picked a slightly later date......hoping for cooler temperatures. We are on the Oct 28th - Nov 11th tour.

Be sure and come back and post ALL ABOUT YOUR TRIP for those of us going after you ! :D

Hey Don,

More questions, I'm not going until May 5th next year and since you went May of this year, how was the weather? Also, I am assuming that it's a dry heat - little to no humidity?

I'm really jealous that everyone is going sooner, but I'll have a wealth of information before I go!!! I noticed that all of May has been sold out for next year - hopefully someone going on the same date will show up here on this site.

Take care,

Jo Ann

Hey Don,

More questions, I'm not going until May 5th next year and since you went May of this year, how was the weather? Also, I am assuming that it's a dry heat - little to no humidity?

I'm really jealous that everyone is going sooner, but I'll have a wealth of information before I go!!! I noticed that all of May has been sold out for next year - hopefully someone going on the same date will show up here on this site.

Take care,

Jo Ann

Jo ann - try this website for trip planning as far as weather goes. It is the best one I have found.

www.americanexpressweather.com On the left hand side is trip planner. Put in where you are going and the dates and voila' up pops all kinds of info regarding weather.

Some really good friends were going to go in May also...... said by the time they got ready to book - it was sold out.

OH MY.... just checked that website....... way too hot for me ! Even with low humidity - 109 degrees is melting for me.

Hey Don,

Take care,

Jo Ann

It will be hot but very dry. In the Cario area they get about 3 to 4 inches of rain a year. Down south it rains about 1 to 2 inches a year. We were in the desert and was told it hadn't rained in 15 years.

I guess the temp was in the low to mid 90's every day. You do most of your touring in the early morning or late afternoon or early evening. So during the heat of the day your are in AC

Don

Thanks for the information all. I'm not a hot weather fan at all but I'm going to Egypt! I can deal with the heat a lot better than the humidity. So if it's dry heat and touring in the morning and evenings I'm going to give it a go. Hot weather is more comfortable when you can dress casually, going to work in this humidity in a suit and heels is a bear - I can't wait for fall!!!!

Jo Ann

Jo Ann - while in Cairo you are encouraged to wear sleeves and either long pants or long skirt. Not excactly casual for me..... I wear shorts and t's all day (I live on Padre Island) I have been looking already for lightweight tunic style tops with sleeves and lightweight longer capris or slacks for Cairo. With our itinerary we do the pyramids in the morning and do not go back to the hotel but rather head into Cairo for lunch and then the Museum and Citadel. So no opportunity to change :eek: On the cruise and Red Sea it is much more casual and LONG shorts are OK when heading to other sites such as Valley of the Kings etc...... so I plan to cover up as best I can without melting and I am sure I will be hitting the pool after touring in Cairo !

Jo Ann - while in Cairo you are encouraged to wear sleeves and either long pants or long skirt. Not excactly casual for me..... I wear shorts and t's all day (I live on Padre Island) I have been looking already for lightweight tunic style tops with sleeves and lightweight longer capris or slacks for Cairo. With our itinerary we do the pyramids in the morning and do not go back to the hotel but rather head into Cairo for lunch and then the Museum and Citadel. So no opportunity to change :eek: On the cruise and Red Sea it is much more casual and LONG shorts are OK when heading to other sites such as Valley of the Kings etc...... so I plan to cover up as best I can without melting and I am sure I will be hitting the pool after touring in Cairo !

I found the informatin above to just backwards. In Cairo, which is a large city, more causal dress is acceptable and the sites on the Nile they were more conservative. The Red Sea is a resort. Everywhere you will see folks looking at you if you wear clothing that is too short and revealing. But we had a girl on our tour who was in her early 20's and wore shorts almost everyday and nothing was said.

One thing in the pool at our hotel by the Red Sea a Muslim women work a swiming suites like you would of seen in the 1930's. A one piece from the neck down to the calf. Our tour guide told us anything was alright to wear but modesty was paramount. Nothing too revealing. "Always keep in mind the minds of the men who will see you", his words not mine.

Don

I was going to play it safe with modesty - even more modest than I am now :-). I too have been looking for tunics, if it's going to be long then it has to be loose for the heat. I do plan on some short sleeves but with some type of scarf that could be used as a wrap if I need to cover the arms. I really do want to respect their culture so when in ROME! Keep all the tips coming.

Hi,

I just got some great tunic tops with 3/4 length sleeves in cotton at Sears. They are having a sale right now and I got two of them for less than $25.

Also found some Dr. Scholl's mary jane type shoes with a closed toe for $40.

They have those gellin' inserts and are the rocker bottom like Sketchers. Really comfy and I'm thinking that they will do nicely for trekking thru temples and in the city.

I'm taking a couple of pairs of longer capris for touring and a couple of skirts for evening and during the hot days. I go in Feb so it won't be quite as hot as when you are going.

Having a great time planning with my ever-expanding group of travelers. We started out with 5 and now are up to 11! You mention trip to Egypt and friends just flock to the Gate 1 website, see what a great value it is and book!

Speaking of books, I just bought a Barnes and Noble Nook, an e-book reader. It is definitely going with me to Egypt. I have downloaded the Elizabeth Peters series of Amelia Peabody, the female Indiana Jones..........lol. I read about this book series on the Fodor's website or the TripAdvisor, can't remember which, heck, it could have been on this sight.

Anyway, I am reading the books and they teach you about the places we will be seeing. Great fun!

Later.

Suzie

Thanks for the tip.

I plan on checking Sears, Target and Penneys since I don't normally wear tunics, but the key is that they have to be lightweight so that I can wash and dry them in my room. I have purchased items from Travel Smith, they are a little pricey (not if you get them on clearance or at their outlet) and they have great items that you can wash in the sink and roll in a towel - hang and dries quickly. When I went to Asia I purchased a couple of their sets and they dried as advertised, also Exoffico and travelsmith have quick dry underwear for men and women - same idea and they dry in a couple of hours, 3 pairs and you are good to go.

They are having a clearance sale right now on-line and they have a skirt and some lightweight tunics, not quite as reasonable but quick drying.

I looked at Amazon for some books and they have quite a collection, there's one on Nile Cruises and I always enjoy the DK Eyewitness books especially their Top 10's.

Well happy reading and shopping!

Jo Ann

Hi JoAnn,

I have bought all of my Travelsmith and Exofficio on Ebay. Most of the items i have bought have been less than $20 and most under $10! I think I mentioned Chico's in my last post and they go with me everywhere. I have traveled to southeast Asia, South America............hot,hot,hot. My Chico's worked well and I washed them out at night in the bath and hung them to dry and they were good to go the next day.

As far as underwear, I always get the quick dry kind and wash things out. i carry a hanger with clips even tho most European accomodations have clotheslines in the shower.

I just got a new travel buddy! A Barnes and Noble Nook. I can download my books and take them with me without taking up too much room. I'm not sure the wifi will work in Egypt ????????, but reading is a must and I have it covered.

Happy planning. Keep cool down there in KY. Up here in OH we are sweltering, hopefully we'll have a cool down this week.

Suzie

Suzie,

I'm an avid ebayer too. Most of my items I get there but when travelsmith has a sale you can get pretty good deals there too, they are having a summer clearance sale. The one thing I'm ordering is a packable panama hat, I don't wear hats usually and this is a nice one (originally $59.00 for $19.99). I also shop sierratradingpost too. I too take a hanger with clips for drying. Well, I'm excited but I have a ways to go. At least when I pack up my summer stuff I'll leave the items that I'm taking in May out so I'll get a little joy in doing that. You guys will definitely have to come back on the board and fill us in. I just hope someone going in May or even on my date shows up on the board. If I get any books, I'll let you know how they are and enjoy your nook!!

Jo Ann

All great sites for shopping guys !!! Thanks.

I purchased a DK Eyewitness travel book on Egypt a while back - when we were first considering an Egypt trip.

this book is so well organized, lots of useful info (keyword useful) and tips on shopping etc etc - not to mention the wonderful pictures which make it even harder to wait for our leave date :o I cannot recommend it enough. Have bought Karen Brown, Rick Steves and others before but really like DK !

Gave my dd a Kindle for Christmas year before last. She is an avid reader and has enjoyed every minute with it. I find I don't read much on trips. Too much to see and do..... I do take my travel guide tho and refresh my memory on items as we go. Also my 3-ring binder that I do for every trip with ALL my stuff (air, hotel, transporation, excursions, research, shopping, restaurants and on and on) to keep me organized.

:rolleyes:

texancruser,

I think we must be kindred spirits! I always have my binder with me when I travel. My friends think I am a bit of an obsessive. Went to Ireland a few years back with 5 friends and made a map book or trip tic, a book of fairy stories for the road and a CD of Irish music. It made the road trip fun and informative.

For Egypt, I have already researched packing tips and general tips for our trip. I just hate to waste precious time on a trip, finding out things that I could have discovered before I went. My friends are always thankful of my OCD when they realize that we have been able to optimize our time and resources.

Researching is half the fun of traveling.

Has anyone found any travel ebooks?

Anyone thinking of doing a hot air balloon in Luxor? Don't really see it offered by Gate 1, but I know there are companies out there that are reputable.

Suzie

As for the hot air balloon - I'm game but would never in a million years get dh on one......... But in reality we have enough scheduled for this trip as is. I am going to have to come home and rest :o

New developement; just booked another cruise in March - girls cruise with a bunch of my in laws, daughter, nieces, etc...... perhaps 12 of us. Will be fun as it will be Mardi Gras in Galveston and on the ship too. So now I am going back and forth planning etc..... phew.

texancruser,

I think we must be kindred spirits! I always have my binder with me when I travel. My friends think I am a bit of an obsessive. Went to Ireland a few years back with 5 friends and made a map book or trip tic, a book of fairy stories for the road and a CD of Irish music. It made the road trip fun and informative.

For Egypt, I have already researched packing tips and general tips for our trip. I just hate to waste precious time on a trip, finding out things that I could have discovered before I went. My friends are always thankful of my OCD when they realize that we have been able to optimize our time and resources.

Researching is half the fun of traveling.

Has anyone found any travel ebooks?

Anyone thinking of doing a hot air balloon in Luxor? Don't really see it offered by Gate 1, but I know there are companies out there that are reputable.

Suzie

Guess what guys, I do a binder too! It would really be a hoot if we were all going on this trip together. If you guys are planning another trip let me know (I always do a year in advance) and I'm already thinking about next year (2012). If all goes well with Gate 1, I was looking at the 3 countries tour (Greece, Turkey and Iserael) or India - not near ready to book but exploring my next options. If there are any travel guides in e-book form, I'd really consider purchasing an e-book reader that would be awesome and if there was a way to transfer my notebook notes on it - it would be a done deal. Wow - I think I'll research that possibility!

Take care guys,

Jo Ann

Joann, already have discussed with dh......if we really like our experience with Gate 1 we would be looking to book Thailand trip for perhaps Fall '11 or spring '12....... as you, we are waiting to see how this one goes.

texancruser,

... a book of fairy stories for the road and a CD of Irish music. Suzie

Was reading about things to buy in Egypt..... someone said a cd of Egyptian music. Now - I am curious.......will have to check that out. I too like to purchase music from places I have visited - that way I can listen to it at home and am instantly taken back to that place :D

Now that is something I never thought of buying a CD where I've traveled. That is an excellent idea.

I did find on amazon and BN that they do have travel ebooks on Egypt. I also found that the new Kindle does let you download PDF files and word documents so it looks like I know what I want for my birthday!

Again, thanks to everyone - keep the tips coming!!!

Jo Ann

Now that is something I never thought of buying a CD where I've traveled. That is an excellent idea.

I did find on amazon and BN that they do have travel ebooks on Egypt. I also found that the new Kindle does let you download PDF files and word documents so it looks like I know what I want for my birthday!

Again, thanks to everyone - keep the tips coming!!!

Jo Ann

Went to Academy yesterday with dh. He wanted a new golf bag...... but I also found him 3 pairs of the Columbia pants with the zip-off leg. He really likes them and they had khaki, gray-blue and light gray ones...... but - not cheap :eek: $ 60.00 a pair...... oh well, you get pants and shorts in one ;)

Now I am focused on shoes to sightsee in for me....... perhaps a new pair of Skechers. Will work on that this week.

• 2 weeks later...
HI I got back from this tour in July. It was one of the best experiences i have ever had. We had so much fun. You will not be disappointed with this trip.

Thanks for your post! How was the Neptune?

Archived