Has anyone been on the MS Neptune on the Nile?

shadowdiver

We leave in 25 days. Except for the posts from our "tour friend" Carlisleboy, haven't seen any from others on our same tour. Either they're shy, don't know about Cruise Critic, or only two cabins are going to be occupied for our Nile Cruise (not!!). If you're out there, we'd love to hear from you. Right now, we've reserved the big package excursion for the cruise, but are holding off on the rest to see if there are others not shown in their itinerary. Reading past posts, that worked out well for people, and that is what we did for our G-1 trip to China last year. You could sign up and pay right up until the time the excursion left.

We too have found only one other couple going on our date (Oct 28th) Actually I am somewhat surprised that we found even one.

Due to there only being 40-45 people on any given tour......and there are a multitude of dates........ and then they have to find Cruisecritic...... the odds add up.

We leave in 25 days. Except for the posts from our "tour friend" Carlisleboy, haven't seen any from others on our same tour. Either they're shy, don't know about Cruise Critic, or only two cabins are going to be occupied for our Nile Cruise (not!!). If you're out there, we'd love to hear from you. Right now, we've reserved the big package excursion for the cruise, but are holding off on the rest to see if there are others not shown in their itinerary. Reading past posts, that worked out well for people, and that is what we did for our G-1 trip to China last year. You could sign up and pay right up until the time the excursion left.

I Ordered all the Tours and paid for them in Advance, Because Come Hell or High Water I will go to all these places if I have to jump off the Boat and swim there.

Really, I am An Alaskan and will do it.

What I really want to do that was not offered is the Hot Air Balloon flight at Dawn over the Valley of the Kings. It is said that that is one you have to pay for on the cruise. Here's Hoping!!

I Ordered all the Tours and paid for them in Advance, Because Come Hell or High Water I will go to all these places if I have to jump off the Boat and swim there.

Really, I am An Alaskan and will do it.

What I really want to do that was not offered is the Hot Air Balloon flight at Dawn over the Valley of the Kings. It is said that that is one you have to pay for on the cruise. Here's Hoping!!

We wanted to go on a hot air ballon flight but gate 1 does not do it. We also found that we would have had no time to do it but im sure our guide would have worked it in for us. I believe it was somewhere like $50us but i dont remember....

Hope it works out for you...

TravelJM

We wanted to go on a hot air ballon flight but gate 1 does not do it. We also found that we would have had no time to do it but im sure our guide would have worked it in for us. I believe it was somewhere like $50us but i dont remember....

Hope it works out for you...

TravelJM

Well we have at least 3 Days in Luxor, so that is Three Sunrises to get the Chance before we go on the other tours for the day.

And just to echo what drpatch said ANYONE going on the Sept 24th -October 7th trip should just say Hi!

Oh, And drpatch, just let me know if anyone you know is a Deadliest Catch Fan And I'll bring something from Dutch Harbor Alaska for them

Well we have at least 3 Days in Luxor, so that is Three Sunrises to get the Chance before we go on the other tours for the day.

And just to echo what drpatch said ANYONE going on the Sept 24th -October 7th trip should just say Hi!

Oh, And drpatch, just let me know if anyone you know is a Deadliest Catch Fan And I'll bring something from Dutch Harbor Alaska for them

Just an FYI..... my nephew did Alaskan King Crab fishing for 4 seasons many years ago...... he made good money but wheweeee it was tough work and dangerous (as the show depicts)........

When our oldest son was in school at the University of MN in Minneapolis, one of his roommates for two years was from Alaska. He fished a few summers and his family was involved also. Not sure what happened to him. That was awhile ago (son is 35). Will think about the Deadliest Catch stuff. Thanks. BTW- we are Nancy and Jerry.

When our oldest son was in school at the University of MN in Minneapolis, one of his roommates for two years was from Alaska. He fished a few summers and his family was involved also. Not sure what happened to him. That was awhile ago (son is 35). Will think about the Deadliest Catch stuff. Thanks. BTW- we are Nancy and Jerry.

Brian here. Also Known as Carlisleboy or CB. (Long Story)

http://dutchharbordirt.blogspot.com/

Is my blog and pretty much shows life in Dutch Harbor, With Friends, Deadliest Catch Stuff, politics and everything else thrown in,

Nice to meet you Brian. :) We're still waiting for all the travel documents to come through the computer. Any idea how far out (or at this point), how close to leaving, we can expect them? Our G-1 TA seemed less interested in hearing from us, once she had the booking locked in. I'm not worried yet but if they don't come by this week-end, I'll call G-1 again. We'd like to get them printed out and put with the rest of our "stuff" for this trip.:cool:

We've been on 7-8 cruises on the big ships but this is our first "river cruise" on any river. We're looking forward to it and expect it will be very different. I discovered CC last year by accident when we were planning our South American cruise that went around the Cape. Found it to be very valuable in many ways. We'll always check the boards/threads now before we do any cruising. np

OK, just called Gate 1 and found out our TA no longer works there (jstaufenberg). Wanted to know when we might expect our e-documents (14-21 days before departure) and emergency phone numbers in case of extreme problems at home while we're gone (numbers should be in documents). I've gotten all three hotel phone numbers from internet but can't find one for the Neptune. TA who answered said the number would probably be the Gate 1 Egypt number. Must be patient (but it's so hard!).

OK, just called Gate 1 and found out our TA no longer works there (jstaufenberg). Wanted to know when we might expect our e-documents (14-21 days before departure) and emergency phone numbers in case of extreme problems at home while we're gone (numbers should be in documents). I've gotten all three hotel phone numbers from internet but can't find one for the Neptune. TA who answered said the number would probably be the Gate 1 Egypt number. Must be patient (but it's so hard!).

What time do you arrive in Cairo? I get in at 4:15pm. Also on the Last Day I do not leave until 11:55PM so I have a full extra day in Cairo.....already extended the hotel 1 more day. Maybe Pyramids a second time then the Museum in case we are rushed that first day.

I am climbing the walls ready to go too........

We get into Cairo at 11:15 am. Leave on the last day at 9:20 am. Flights were arranged by G-1 (not WI to NYC- we did that- Fly into LaGuardia and have to shuttle to JFK but we get in around 11 am and will have plenty of time to get to JFK) Nice that you have that last full day in Cairo. We're spending one night in NYC at the end, before we head back to WI. Don't leave on that Fri until 6:30 pm so it gives us a little time to sightsee. Changed some US$ for Egyptian Pounds today. Our local bank can order it. Comes in handy. One less thing to have to do as soon as we arrive. Also got a bunch of $1.00 bills (US) for tips, etc. like was suggested on one of the threads.

We get into Cairo at 11:15 am. Leave on the last day at 9:20 am. Flights were arranged by G-1 (not WI to NYC- we did that- Fly into LaGuardia and have to shuttle to JFK but we get in around 11 am and will have plenty of time to get to JFK) Nice that you have that last full day in Cairo. We're spending one night in NYC at the end, before we head back to WI. Don't leave on that Fri until 6:30 pm so it gives us a little time to sightsee. Changed some US$ for Egyptian Pounds today. Our local bank can order it. Comes in handy. One less thing to have to do as soon as we arrive. Also got a bunch of $1.00 bills (US) for tips, etc. like was suggested on one of the threads.

You can get Egyptian pounds (money) in Egypt. We never had any problem getting Egyptian money. Actually you need to get your visa at a local bank. You can get cash and visa at the same time. Often times your local bank charges a higher cost for Egyptian money than you have to pay in Egypt.

When I was in Egypt recently(May 21-June 11, 2010) a US dollar worth 5.5 pounds.

Don

I am waiting till I get there, the exchange rate is supposed to be better, and I have an APP on my I-Phone to track the exchange rate to make sure they dont rip me off. It would be too much bother for the ONE bank we have on the island to get EGYPTAIN Pounds so no worries. Bringing lots of $1 bill for tips. That is recommended in all the Guide books as well.

19 Days till I leave Dutch Harbor.....24 till Egypt! Thankfully it is going quick, though not quickly enough!

I am waiting till I get there, the exchange rate is supposed to be better, and I have an APP on my I-Phone to track the exchange rate to make sure they dont rip me off. It would be too much bother for the ONE bank we have on the island to get EGYPTAIN Pounds so no worries. Bringing lots of $1 bill for tips. That is recommended in all the Guide books as well.

19 Days till I leave Dutch Harbor.....24 till Egypt! Thankfully it is going quick, though not quickly enough!

I must admit I'm somewhat amazed as to why you'd want to give your baksheesh in US dollars when all the toilet attendants and everyone else with their hand out want is 1 Egyptian pound. At the current rate that's about 5+LE to the US dollar. There are banks in most of the hotels (in the Marriott there were 2) that will do the current exchange rate and when your holiday is over they exchange back at the same rate. You'll have your hand in your pocket around 10 times a day from the lady outside the toilet to a tourist policeman who'll expect baksheesh to have his photo taken. We found that carrying either 1 LE notes or coins was the way to go.

I must admit I'm somewhat amazed as to why you'd want to give your baksheesh in US dollars when all the toilet attendants and everyone else with their hand out want is 1 Egyptian pound. At the current rate that's about 5+LE to the US dollar. There are banks in most of the hotels (in the Marriott there were 2) that will do the current exchange rate and when your holiday is over they exchange back at the same rate. You'll have your hand in your pocket around 10 times a day from the lady outside the toilet to a tourist policeman who'll expect baksheesh to have his photo taken. We found that carrying either 1 LE notes or coins was the way to go.

Ok, I'm going to try to say this without sounding mean.......but it may not come off that way.

I Work in the Hospitality Industry. I'm a Hotel Manager now, but I started at the bottom when I was in college, Night Audit, Bartender, Server Housekeeper and Public Attendant were just some of the jobs I did. Starting at Motel 6 I moved up the ladder to Quality, Holiday, Ramada and Finally to Hilton Hotels. Starting at the bottom and doing those jobs has made me a better person and a better manager. It also allows me to Empathazie more with workers in those jobs. I left Hilton Hotels after almost 10 years for the Adventure of running a Hotel "In the Bush" in Alaska. I make.......good money. Personally, for me, If I am going to spend the money to go to Egypt, I'm not going to "nickel and dime" the people that are responsible for serving my food and drink, cleaning my accomidations or who are responsible for my personal safety. Spending $20 a day vs $5 and having happy people around me is worth alot more to me than $15.

I've read some of your other posts and you seem to be really "Anti-Tipping". I understand as an Australian you do not have that much experience with it, I'm not "Faulting" you for it, I'm just explaining my point of view. I've Budgeted $500 for tipping and other gratuties on this trip. This IS higher than the normal amount I budget for tips on trips, but from everything I have read "Baksheesh" is a large part of the Culture in Egypt.

Giving a person who has to sit in, and MAINTAIN a bathroom all day 20 cents instead of $1 just seems like a cheapskate move to me. If I was that worried over 80 cents I would not be taking a trip to Egypt. Call me "naive" but I actually believe in the "Pay it Forward" theory: One small act of kindness can change the world. And even if that is simplistic the simple smile that people get when they see what I have left for a tip is enough for me.

In other words, I'd rather spend a little bit more and have a great experience, and maybe just make a person's day a tiny little bit better than "get the best deal".

Again, not trying to be mean, just trying to explain.

And Anyways, I'm From Alaska, We have a reputation as great tippers to maintain.

Ok, I'm going to try to say this without sounding mean.......but it may not come off that way.

I Work in the Hospitality Industry. I'm a Hotel Manager now, but I started at the bottom when I was in college, Night Audit, Bartender, Server Housekeeper and Public Attendant were just some of the jobs I did. Starting at Motel 6 I moved up the ladder to Quality, Holiday, Ramada and Finally to Hilton Hotels. Starting at the bottom and doing those jobs has made me a better person and a better manager. It also allows me to Empathazie more with workers in those jobs. I left Hilton Hotels after almost 10 years for the Adventure of running a Hotel "In the Bush" in Alaska. I make.......good money. Personally, for me, If I am going to spend the money to go to Egypt, I'm not going to "nickel and dime" the people that are responsible for serving my food and drink, cleaning my accomidations or who are responsible for my personal safety. Spending $20 a day vs $5 and having happy people around me is worth alot more to me than $15.

I've read some of your other posts and you seem to be really "Anti-Tipping". I understand as an Australian you do not have that much experience with it, I'm not "Faulting" you for it, I'm just explaining my point of view. I've Budgeted $500 for tipping and other gratuties on this trip. This IS higher than the normal amount I budget for tips on trips, but from everything I have read "Baksheesh" is a large part of the Culture in Egypt.

Giving a person who has to sit in, and MAINTAIN a bathroom all day 20 cents instead of $1 just seems like a cheapskate move to me. If I was that worried over 80 cents I would not be taking a trip to Egypt. Call me "naive" but I actually believe in the "Pay it Forward" theory: One small act of kindness can change the world. And even if that is simplistic the simple smile that people get when they see what I have left for a tip is enough for me.

In other words, I'd rather spend a little bit more and have a great experience, and maybe just make a person's day a tiny little bit better than "get the best deal".

Again, not trying to be mean, just trying to explain.

And Anyways, I'm From Alaska, We have a reputation as great tippers to maintain.

Well said. However, I think us Texans have a bigger reputation in that department ;)

I once watched my husband tip a waiter $20.00 "to keep the cheese coming" for the homemade bread they were serving..... then he put another tip on the tab for the meal...... :D

I love the threads about tipping in Europe too......:rolleyes:

Carlisleboy - you didn't sound mean and I'm not an anti-tipper. If you wish to give away hundreds of dollars (and the Egyptians you give them too will probably end up with 20 cents in the dollar when they try to exchange them into their own currency) then that is your prerogative.

Just got all the Travel Documents Today!! Did you get yours too? 34 Pages!! Going through them now. Also just booked a hotel in NYC. Ended up with an 8 hour layover between my flight from Seattle and boarding for Cairo and I am not hanging around an airport for that long before a 12 hour flight!

I am really getting "Island Fever" now.........it's what we call it here when we are ready to leave the Island but there is still time left. I think Douglas Adams Described it best as "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul"

it's Ok, Only 18 more days till I leave the Island and 22 till Egypt....I can make it!

Just got all the Travel Documents Today!! Did you get yours too? 34 Pages!! Going through them now. Also just booked a hotel in NYC. Ended up with an 8 hour layover between my flight from Seattle and boarding for Cairo and I am not hanging around an airport for that long before a 12 hour flight!

I am really getting "Island Fever" now.........it's what we call it here when we are ready to leave the Island but there is still time left. I think Douglas Adams Described it best as "The Long Dark Tea Time of the Soul"

it's Ok, Only 18 more days till I leave the Island and 22 till Egypt....I can make it!

Whoa.... 34 pages ! Our final payment was due the 29th so just made that last week......now looking forward to those 34 pages !!!! Did they assign cabin # on the river cruise? Let us know if there is anything interesting in those 34 pages !!!! Geez..... 34 pages !!!!! :eek:

Hmmmmm I normally book all my travel arrangments myself. But this trip was unlike any other I have done (a tour) so I booked thru a good friend who is a TA. She actually "gave" us 2 free excursions. So I don't think I can access my reservation. Will have to ask her to look for it when it gets a bit closer.

Just checked. Ours aren't online yet. :( Did you get yours snail-mail or thru internet? I've been checking on and off for a couple days. If yours came thru G-1 website, I expect ours will arrive soon (I hope??) Glad yours came.:)

I got an e-mail from Gate 1 today and just looked up my reservation on their website and the "Travel Documents" buttons on the upper left hand side of the screen are now active under my individual reservation.

And YES to Texancruiser, Cabin Numbers are assigned, and almost everything else......I am on Bus 1 and lots of other stuff. Tons of Vouchers since I prepaid for everything.

Wonderfull that this arrived today......super insane at work right now and this was a great pick up to make it through the day.

Archived