Scavi tour reservation forcing change of plans. Looking for Rome"on my own" help now

I received confirmation today for a 1:45 Scavi tour next month. I was going to make this port easy and do an overall Rome highlights ship tour to get the basics of the Vatican museum, Colosseum, Forum, Spanish Steps etc etc. I now am going to do Rome on our own so that we can do the Scavi tour, which was something very important for my husband. Ship is in port 8:00-8:00 and we are going to take the train. This is what I THINK I am up against:

Leave Civitavecchia at 9:17 and arrive at Termini at 10:15.

**HOW LONG IS IT GOING TO TAKE US TO GET OFF THE SHIP (700 PASSENGERS) AND GET TO TRAIN STATION, BUY TICKETS ETC? 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES REASONABLE? I AM ASSUMING BUYING TRAIN TICKETS THERE IS BETTER THAN DOING THIS NOW.

We will have 3 hours 15 min approx before we have to go to (and FIND without getting the lost) the Scavi tour location.

**DO THE VATICAN MUSEUM/SISTINE CHAPEL QUICKLY BEFORE THE SCAVI TOUR OR AFTER? WE DON'T NEED AN IN DEPTH LENGTHY TOUR AND AN AUDIO GUIDE, BRIEF WALKING TOUR OR WALKING THROUGH IT JUST TO SEE IT WOULD BE FINE. LOGISTICS OF GETTING FROM WHERE SCAVI TOUR DROPS ENDS AND/OR STARTS WOULD HELP DECIDE IF DOING THE SISTINE CHAPEL WOULD BE BETTER BEFORE OR AFTER.

End Scavi Tour at approx 3:15 and will have time befoe 6:05 train Termini Station back to ship. BE AT TRAIN STATION AT 5:30?

Train times:

6:05 gets me back at 6:47 (I figure we have to be back on the ship by 7:30 for 8 pm sailing). If we get in trouble and miss the train (god I hope not) next ones for back up arrive to port at:

7:13

7:33

7:57 (obviously we are in trouble)

With having to eat at some point between all of this and wanting to see the Colosseum, I don't see how we can do anymore than the Vatican and Colosseum. I had thought we could grab a HOHO bus to be able to drive around to get at least an overview "drive by" but with this schedule, I just don't see how this is possible.

My head is spinning a bit trying to see the most we can and how to do it...walk it, find a quick 2 hour walking tour of the city before or after the Scavi tour, take a taxi from one place to another (to see some of the city while driving). I do understand it willl not be much quality time for this port that is okay-we can come back again another time.

I want to say right off that I haven't actually done Rome yet, but have done a ton of research planning for my stay in August. Hopefully what I have learned can point you in the right direction.

- Not sure if this is possible, but rather than taking the train to the main terminal can you find a route that will drop you close to the Vatican. The terminal is about a 20-30 minute taxi ride to the Vatican. The closest stop to the Vatican is about a 5 min taxi ride...Google Maps is your friend! I haven't look into the train schedule myself, just a random thought.

- Assuming that arriving at Termini at 10:15 really is your best option, a taxi ride puts you at the vatican museum in time for an 11:00 am entry. Pre-book your entry on line so you can go right in and not wait in line. This gives you 2 hours to get through the museums and see the Sistine Chaple. Two hours seems to be "doable" if your a casual sightseer.

- Leaving the Sistine Chaple drops you off at St. Peter's Basilica, which is very close to the Scavi entrance. This is why I recommend you do it in this order. If you do the musuems after the Scavi tour you have to plan time to get from St. Peter's to the entrance to the Museums. This is probably a good 15-20 min walk around the outside of the Vatican.

- From there I would grab a taxi to the Colosseum and spend whatever time you can there and in the Forum (if time). Again, I would prebook the Colosseum to ensure you don't wait in line to get in.

Here area few links that may be helpful:

- Map of the Vatican with all the points of interest; Museum entrance & Scavi entrance are most noteable in your case. The website seems to be down right now but here it is. http://www.stpetersbasilica.org/Exterior/SP-Square-Area.htm

- Vatican Museum ticket website to buy entry tickets based on time of arrival. http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/index.html

- Website to buy Colosseum tickets in advance, they are good for a two day period. http://www.ticketclic.it/Gb/HTML/musei/colosseo.cfm

I received confirmation today for a 1:45 Scavi tour next month. I was going to make this port easy and do an overall Rome highlights ship tour to get the basics of the Vatican museum, Colosseum, Forum, Spanish Steps etc etc. I now am going to do Rome on our own so that we can do the Scavi tour, which was something very important for my husband. Ship is in port 8:00-8:00 and we are going to take the train. This is what I THINK I am up against:

**HOW LONG IS IT GOING TO TAKE US TO GET OFF THE SHIP (700 PASSENGERS) AND GET TO TRAIN STATION, BUY TICKETS ETC? 1 HOUR 20 MINUTES REASONABLE? I AM ASSUMING BUYING TRAIN TICKETS THERE IS BETTER THAN DOING THIS NOW.

We will have 3 hours 15 min approx before we have to go to (and FIND without getting the lost) the Scavi tour location.

**DO THE VATICAN MUSEUM/SISTINE CHAPEL QUICKLY BEFORE THE SCAVI TOUR OR AFTER? WE DON'T NEED AN IN DEPTH LENGTHY TOUR AND AN AUDIO GUIDE, BRIEF WALKING TOUR OR WALKING THROUGH IT JUST TO SEE IT WOULD BE FINE. LOGISTICS OF GETTING FROM WHERE SCAVI TOUR DROPS ENDS AND/OR STARTS WOULD HELP DECIDE IF DOING THE SISTINE CHAPEL WOULD BE BETTER BEFORE OR AFTER.

End Scavi Tour at approx 3:15 and will have time befoe 6:05 train Termini Station back to ship. BE AT TRAIN STATION AT 5:30?

Train times:

6:05 gets me back at 6:47 (I figure we have to be back on the ship by 7:30 for 8 pm sailing). If we get in trouble and miss the train (god I hope not) next ones for back up arrive to port at:

With having to eat at some point between all of this and wanting to see the Colosseum, I don't see how we can do anymore than the Vatican and Colosseum. I had thought we could grab a HOHO bus to be able to drive around to get at least an overview "drive by" but with this schedule, I just don't see how this is possible.

My head is spinning a bit trying to see the most we can and how to do it...walk it, find a quick 2 hour walking tour of the city before or after the Scavi tour, take a taxi from one place to another (to see some of the city while driving). I do understand it willl not be much quality time for this port that is okay-we can come back again another time.

To the Vatican there is the train stop called Roma S. Pietro but not called by the IC-train you selected.

09.17 hrs is an IC-long-distance-train and you better buy the tickets online.

It's more expensive than the regular trains and reservation is mandatory.

If you take regional trains

like 08.41 hrs, 08.59 hrs and 09.41 hrs: they all stops at Roma S. Pietro.

From here it's about 15 minutes to walk to Peter's Square.

You must not queue up for the tickets at the ticket counter. The newspaper/book/tobacco store also sells the tickets:

2009-MSC-FTS-11074.jpg

If you are sure that you want to take the IC train and you are sure that you do not need public transportation in Rome: then you can buy all your tickets online.

Here is the description from the cruise terminal to Vatican City by train:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/civitavecchia-italy-getting-to-vatican.html

Regards,

HeinBloed

I've revisited the train schedules and looked at the times to Roma s. Pietro. I'll have to have a plan A and plan B for this but do you think realistically we can make a 8:41 train into Rome if the ship says we are in port at 8:00 am (and assuming we can really get off at 8:00 and everything goes ok with customs)?

How much time to get from the ship to train station and same for the return to the ship, so we don't miss the ship.

I've revisited the train schedules and looked at the times to Roma s. Pietro. I'll have to have a plan A and plan B for this but do you think realistically we can make a 8:41 train into Rome if the ship says we are in port at 8:00 am (and assuming we can really get off at 8:00 and everything goes ok with customs)?

How much time to get from the ship to train station and same for the return to the ship, so we don't miss the ship.

1. There will be no customs (beside the last call of your ship was not an EU-port).

2. 08.41 hrs is very unrealistic! Even you are the first out:

a) there must be a shuttle asap available

b) you must be the first one in the bus - we waited up to 15-20 minutes to get on the shuttle.

c) depending to the location of the berth you need maybe 5-10 minutes by bus

d) 10 minutes walk to the station

e) buying the tickets

f) walking to the platform

Somehow it sounds for me very unrealistic but if your ellbows and your legs are strong enough: maybe...

For the return I would be around 75 minutes before ship's departure back at Civitavecchia.

1. you need to have some time for delays of the train.

2. there will be no shuttle available asap and you need to wait some minutes

3. maybe you cannot get on the first shuttle and have to wait.

So you have 45 minutes for delays, walk to the port gate, waiting for the shuttle and getting to your ship.

For the worst case you can take a cab from the station back to the ship.

Regards,

HeinBloed

Your Scavi tour is not until 1:45 pm. Don't feel the need to run off the ship. Plan to leave shortly after it clears. Then take the shuttle to the port entrance and a short walk to the train station. You can purchase a BIRG ticket for about 9 euros (may have gone up). This ticket gives you access to the trains (regional), buses and subway in Rome.

Go to Termini and from there catch the subway to the Colesseum. Just my recommendation - I did a fabulous walking tour of the Colesseum and Forum with Through Eternity Walking Tours. We skipped the very long line-up. However, you can see both on your own.

Then plan for a quick lunch - I suggest making your way to the Vatican and have lunch in that neighbourhood. You can relax and then walk to the Vatican. Again, you can take a bus or subway. Plan to be at the Scavi office for 1:15 - 1:20. They won't let you in before then anyway.

Rome is a city to be savoured...if you sit in St. Peter's Square and people watch before your tour - that will be just as enjoyable. The SCAVI tour is fantastic!

After the Scavi tour and looking around the Vatican ( you are let off near the Popes toumbs). Make your way to San Pietro Train Station and head back to the ship. I agree with Heinbloed - give yourself at least 75 minutes.

You won't see everything - but sounds like you have your sites picked and a very smart move.

Just back from the Gem and our schedule was opposite from you as we had a 9:30am Scavi tour.

If I were you, get off the ship and I'd take the shuttle to the port entrance. Walk to the train station, purchase tickets (VALIDATE!) and take the train to the Termini station.

Sightsee Trevi Fountain, Spanish steps, Pantheon, etc while making your way towards the Vatican. If you start getting tired, take a taxi to the Sistine Chapel (which I would see first) and then head to your Scavi tour. The end of the Scavi tour will release you directly into the Basilica. See the Basilica and go to S. Pietro station and catch the train back.

The Sistine Chapel took longer than we'd expected because you also go through the museum and the crowds limited how fast we could go. Plus there were a lot of stairs (just an FYI).

I would just add that we have made trains before 8 from Civitavecchia on several trips. Generally, the ships get cleared in "Civ" within 15 min. We simply make sure we are among the first off the ship and than head straight to the free port shuttle bus. With a little luck you are at the port entrance withing 10 -15 min and than its about a 10 min walk to the train station. We have never encountered any long wait to buy tickets at the station (they even have automatic machines) and you will probably want to go to the ticket window and buy a 9 Euro BIRG tickets which is for round trip train (local/regional only) and unlimited use of the Metro and buses in Rome. Do not waste you time tryin to get the faster IC type trains (these cost more and need reservations) since they are often late and the not stop at the St Pietro station (already posted).

Hank

I know that it is unlikely that you will take the 9.17am InterCity, but just wanted to say that if you do, the ultimate destination is NAPLES not Rome. This catches people out.

I would just add that we have made trains before 8 from Civitavecchia on several trips. Generally, the ships get cleared in "Civ" within 15 min. We simply make sure we are among the first off the ship and than head straight to the free port shuttle bus. With a little luck you are at the port entrance withing 10 -15 min and than its about a 10 min walk to the train station. We have never encountered any long wait to buy tickets at the station (they even have automatic machines) and you will probably want to go to the ticket window and buy a 9 Euro BIRG tickets which is for round trip train (local/regional only) and unlimited use of the Metro and buses in Rome. Do not waste you time tryin to get the faster IC type trains (these cost more and need reservations) since they are often late and the not stop at the St Pietro station (already posted).

Hank

If you've made trains before 8 am, what time did the ship dock? Our ship doesn't dock unti 8.

I am not concerned with the price for the IC trains however I am concerned about trying to pick up as much time as possible in Rome with the must do's being vatican museum, scavi tour, quick colosseum and somehow find time to get some food in us and if we possibly can, at least walk by the spanish steps or the fountain. I think it will be a push to do scavi, museum and colloseum.

After being told there isn't much chance of the 8:41 train I am left with the 9:17 train, iand f ontime, would get us to Termini at 10:14. If we even make it for the 9:00 am train, it actually gets in later (9:28). Silly to rush to a train at 9 that gets us in later than one that leaves later and gets in earlier. Next train time is 9:41 and gets in at 10:50 so forget that-at that point we should have just gone on the ship's bus and paid $100+ pp.

It seems the reason to get off at the St. Peters stop is if you are going to the vatican first or am I missing something? If we go to the Colosseum first then wouldn't termini make sense? Our scavi tour is in the afternoon at 1:45 and I am struggling back and forth to do the vatican museum before or after the scavi tour. Thinking of doing the vatican museum after the scavi tour and then hopping on the train back via the St. Peter's station.

Only draw back of doing the vatican museum AFTER the scavi, is that we don't have to exit the scavi tour then walk all the way around the 20 minute walk to entrance the museum.

It seems the reason to get off at the St. Peters stop is if you are going to the vatican first or am I missing something? If we go to the Colosseum first then wouldn't termini make sense? Our scavi tour is in the afternoon at 1:45 and I am struggling back and forth to do the vatican museum before or after the scavi tour. Thinking of doing the vatican museum after the scavi tour and then hopping on the train back via the St. Peter's station.

Yes it does - go to the Colosseum (Colosso) first. You get off at Termini and then take the metro to Colosso. Give yourself about an hour for the Colosseum. Then make your way to the Vatican - depending on when your ship leaves, you may want to do the museum first. The Scavi tour takes about 60 minutes to 75 minutes. Again, give yourself 75 minutes to get back to the port. Leave from San Pietro train station. This is an excellent Website - http://www.stpetersbasilica.org. Great maps and photos and directions to the Scavi tour. You will not get lost. Forget my earlier advice...get off the ship as soon as you can to catch the first train. The shuttles are usually sensitive to the train schedules. And please do check out Through Eternity...great walking tours.

If you've made trains before 8 am, what time did the ship dock? Our ship doesn't dock unti 8.

I am not concerned with the price for the IC trains however I am concerned about trying to pick up as much time as possible in Rome with the must do's being vatican museum, scavi tour, quick colosseum and somehow find time to get some food in us and if we possibly can, at least walk by the spanish steps or the fountain. I think it will be a push to do scavi, museum and colloseum.

After being told there isn't much chance of the 8:41 train I am left with the 9:17 train, iand f ontime, would get us to Termini at 10:14. If we even make it for the 9:00 am train, it actually gets in later (9:28). Silly to rush to a train at 9 that gets us in later than one that leaves later and gets in earlier. Next train time is 9:41 and gets in at 10:50 so forget that-at that point we should have just gone on the ship's bus and paid $100+ pp.

Only draw back of doing the vatican museum AFTER the scavi, is that we don't have to exit the scavi tour then walk all the way around the 20 minute walk to entrance the museum.

Most of our cruises into Civitavecchia (we have probably been in that port at least a dozen times) are docked by 7. And it is true, that there would be no reason to get off at the St Pietro station unless you were going directly to the Vatican. As to doing the Scavi tour, keep in mind that you must be at the gate at a specific time. If you do the Vatican Museum before the Scavi, you would not want to get into a situation where you had to worry about time while you were inside the Vatican. As to using the IC trains, they are not always the best solution and here is why? You need to make reservations which mean you lose some flexibiltiy. The IC trains are on longer routes and, as a result, there is a higher probability that they will run late. For us, we prefer just grabbing the next train when we get to the station. On our last visit to "Civ" we took a regional train (bought a 9 Euro BIRG ticket) while we saw a few others from our ship waiting inpatiently for an IC train that was running about an hour late. We love the high speed Europe trains (IC, EC, TGV, etc) but find they are best used for longer trips than for what is essentially a commuter trip.

Hank

Hank

Just a suggestion - the Scavi tour is wonderful - if you find time is tight...maybe skip the Vatican Museum. What you will see in the Scavi tour is wonderful. You will then free up time to see St. Peter's Basilica, locate the entrance to the office for the Scavi tour and perhaps see some other sights on your way from the Colesseum to the Vatican. Nothing is worse on a vacation then worrying about time. Hank is right - you may not get out of the museum on time if it is before the tour.

If there is time after the Scavi tour - then perhaps consider going to the Museum. The line-ups will be very short. However, (and I know I know I will get some criticism for this) Rome is a wonderful city and I would spend some time seeing it rather then in the Museum.

I do have a lot to think about and all of the advice has been helpful. Would you say the general consensus here is that I should be taking the metro instead of a taxi because that is more efficient for time? Since the BIRG ticket has been suggested to purchase so it can be used on public transportation, I am assuming that the metro is going to be faster than the way I was going to go by taxi.

I think my plan now (assuming metro is faster) is that if the metro is just a quick hop from Termini then I think my plan at this point is regional train from Civ to Termini, hop the metro assuming I won't be wandering around trying to find where it is, head to Colosseum (tickets already bought online). Stay for an hour-time at this point worst case would be 12:00. Then try to head over to the fountain or spanish steps to walk by and grab a quick bite then get to the vatican (I guess metro again and no taxi?) for the scavi tour to be there by 1:30 for a 1:45 tour. After tour is over (3:15 latest), try the vatican museum. I will buy tickets ahead of time for the 3:00 entrance online but won't make it there until probably 3:30. Do a "quicky" through the museum and be done by 5 ish. Catch either the 5:30 or 6:00 train from Roma S. Pietro station to Civ getting to Civ at 6:30/7:00 for my 8 pm sailing.

Maybe too ambitious but worth a shot. On my Rome day I will be pretending we are on the amazing race.

I do have a lot to think about and all of the advice has been helpful. Would you say the general consensus here is that I should be taking the metro instead of a taxi because that is more efficient for time? Since the BIRG ticket has been suggested to purchase so it can be used on public transportation, I am assuming that the metro is going to be faster than the way I was going to go by taxi.

I think my plan now (assuming metro is faster) is that if the metro is just a quick hop from Termini then I think my plan at this point is regional train from Civ to Termini, hop the metro assuming I won't be wandering around trying to find where it is, head to Colosseum (tickets already bought online). Stay for an hour-time at this point worst case would be 12:00. Then try to head over to the fountain or spanish steps to walk by and grab a quick bite then get to the vatican (I guess metro again and no taxi?) for the scavi tour to be there by 1:30 for a 1:45 tour. After tour is over (3:15 latest), try the vatican museum. I will buy tickets ahead of time for the 3:00 entrance online but won't make it there until probably 3:30. Do a "quicky" through the museum and be done by 5 ish. Catch either the 5:30 or 6:00 train from Roma S. Pietro station to Civ getting to Civ at 6:30/7:00 for my 8 pm sailing.

Maybe too ambitious but worth a shot. On my Rome day I will be pretending we are on the amazing race.

The Metro (Termini stop) is located right beside the train station. You will likely have a bit of a walk to get to it (the train station is pretty large), but you shouldn't get lost.

If you lunch at the Spanish steps, there is a Metro stop there (if you are facing the steps, the Metro entrance is just to the left of the steps themselves). From there it is a straight shot to the Vatican -- exit at the Ottaviano stop for St. Peters, or Cipro stop for the Museum. Again, it's a bit of a walk once you exit the Metro station. I'm not sure if you'll save any time over taking a taxi, since the taxi will be able to drop you closer to St. Peters.

If you plan on going directly to the Vatican (from the train) it makes little sense to go to the Termini and than double back on the Metro. The regional trains from Civitavecchia stop at the St Pietro station nearly 25 min before it gets to the Termini (we never understood why it takes those trains so long to get across Rome). If you wait until you get to the Termini you have quite a walk from the train to get down to the Metro. You will have spent 25 more minutes getting to the Termini, another 10-15 min walk to get to the metro, probably 15 min to get over to the Vatican metro stop , etc etc.

Hank

Hank (you train wizard!) - I saw on one post that the first shuttle bus from Civ to train isn't until 7:30 a.m. Has that been your experience? If so, what's the first time you can get (with the new schedule) - 7:59? That's scheduled to get to Termini at 9:20, so would Ostiense be 9:00- (ish?). We'd like to do the Colosseum first by taking the Metro from Termini...first entrance appears to be 9:00 so I was hoping for the 7:33 train...but I presume the shuttle bus is your only option? Please clarify if you can. Thanks!

Train times:

Do the ship tour. yes it costs more but you won't have the headaches. You could also probably do much better with a private tour with a driver who would get you to what you want Search your cruise thread and perhaps link up with others who may want to do what you want to and share cost.

If the Colosseum is your first stop of the day, it's probably faster to avoid Termini. The regional train also stops in Trastevere. If you get off here, walk out the front of the station and there is a stop in the piazza for the #3 tram that goes right to the Colosseum. Because of track work, the #3 right now is a bus rather than a tram, but it goes to the same stops. This is covered under the BIRG ticket. The smaller Trastevere station is MUCH easier to deal with than Termini and the bus/tram option is better than the overcrowded, hot metro.

I think my plan now (assuming metro is faster) is that if the metro is just a quick hop from Termini then I think my plan at this point is regional train from Civ to Termini, hop the metro assuming I won't be wandering around trying to find where it is, head to Colosseum (tickets already bought online). Stay for an hour-time at this point worst case would be 12:00. Then try to head over to the fountain or spanish steps to walk by and grab a quick bite then get to the vatican (I guess metro again and no taxi?) for the scavi tour to be there by 1:30 for a 1:45 tour.

Well, I realize you are getting conflicting advice from all directions, but I would suggest taking a taxi from Termini. If you were going straight to the Vatican, I'd agree with Hank (Hlitner), but since you want to see the Colosseum first (which I agree makes sense), a taxi is a good idea IMHO. I guarantee that your first time in Termini, you will be wandering around trying to find the metro stop. A taxi will save you time, which is more an issue than money in your situation.

I would also taxi from the Colosseum to Spanish Steps; and Spanish Steps to the Vatican if you find taxis standing by... otherwise be prepared to metro.

After tour is over (3:15 latest), try the vatican museum. I will buy tickets ahead of time for the 3:00 entrance online but won't make it there until probably 3:30. Do a "quicky" through the museum and be done by 5 ish. Catch either the 5:30 or 6:00 train from Roma S. Pietro station to Civ getting to Civ at 6:30/7:00 for my 8 pm sailing.

Sounds good, except I wouldn't buy Vatican Museums tickets ahead of time. That time of day, you should have no problem walking in with no line. And you might well get there faster than anticipated, so having a reservation might actually lose you time.

If you really want to buy the tickets, bear in mind that after the Scavi tour you will be inside St. Peter's security, so you can easily tour the basilica then. But you do have a 15 minute walk to the museum entrance. You can also tour the basilica after the museums by taking the right-hand ("Tour groups") exit from the Sistine Chapel, rather than the left ("Exit") door.

I would strongly advise the earlier train from S. Pietro. I think that 6:00 woudl be pushing it, since once you arrive at Civ you will still have to get to the ship.

A "quicky" at the Vatican museums in the height of the tourist season, even in a bad year, is laughable. The museums are huge and even if you could push your way through the crowds, best case from the entry to the Sistine Chapel is about a half hour. Then you need to go back. Did you plan to actually see anything while there, or just run through so you can tell yourself you were there?

My first (of about six or seven so far) visit to the Vatican Museums was about a month after 9/11. There were almost no Americans in Rome and tourism in general was way down, yet it still took a good half hour to walk to the Sistine Chapel from the entrance, and the Raphael Rooms and the chapel were very crowded.

Leave the Vatican musumes for another trip.

A "quicky" at the Vatican museums in the height of the tourist season, even in a bad year, is laughable. The museums are huge and even if you could push your way through the crowds, best case from the entry to the Sistine Chapel is about a half hour. Then you need to go back.

Not if you take the right-hand exit down to the basilica.

I agree that there is more in the Musei Vaticani than you can see in a quick visit... but on the other hand, how many hours of great art can you really do justice to, in one day?

If people really just want to see the Sistine Chapel and a few other highlights, and are willing to pay the admission price, what's so wrong about letting them see what they want to see?

Not if you take the right-hand exit down to the basilica.
You are correct, IF this exit is open. It isn't always.

You are also correct that people should make their own choices, based on what is important to them. The OP asked for opinions, and that is what they are getting.

At the extreme other end of the scale from what was asked, the best way to see the Sistine Chapel, IMHO, is one of the after hours tours. This isn't possible on a cruise ship schedule, but it is an unforgetable experience for a longer visit to Rome. We were virtually alone in the chapel (11 people in our group, plus one Vatican archivist) for a half hour. Amazing.

euro cruiser: Is Tratavere better than Ostiense (which I've seen recommended several times)? Which one gets you off the train earlier...I still haven't gotten to the "details" part of trenitalia....thanks.

Trastevere is the stop before Ostiense. I prefer it, but you can get to the Colosseum easily from either station. From Trastevere on the #3 tram/bus, or via the metro (two stops) from Ostiense (the metro isn't right at the train station, but it's a very short walk).

Archived