Time to get to Ferry to Victoria

Hi -we arrive in Vancouver on Fri Aug 14th on a cruise ship and will be picking up a car we reserved. I am trying to reserve a time on the ferry to Vancouver island and I'm wondering if the 10 am or 11 am will be to early to get to.

Thanks

I wouldn't recommend 10 AM and are hesitant to recommend 11AM - to many variables - ship arriving late, line-up for car rentals, traffic tie-up, it is a good 35 - 45 minute drive out to the ferry.

While you can reserve for the ferry at an additional cost you still must arrive 30 or more before sailing.

Some of the other locals will be around later with there thoughts on this question.

Cheers

Dennis

For Friday thru Monday I would recommend a reservation - that is the busiest time for the ferries - if not you could wait upwards of two or more hours to get on.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

I agree - 10:00 am is definitely out you won't make it. 11:00 is iffy at best. Depending on the day of the week, driving to Tsawassen is at least 45 minutes, could be as high as 1 hour 15 minutes. You do need to be there at least 30 minutes before sailing time (if you are not, your reservation will not count and they will give your spot away to someone else in line). I would go with the noon ferry reservation. If you get there early and there is room on the previous ferries, you can always try and get on those.

NK

Hi -we arrive in Vancouver on Fri Aug 14th on a cruise ship and will be picking up a car we reserved. I am trying to reserve a time on the ferry to Vancouver island and I'm wondering if the 10 am or 11 am will be to early to get to.

10 is too early. I would just see how it goes (and not reserve). The busy time is generally the later afternoon, noon is normally fairly quiet.

The best option (which will also be cheaper) is take the city bus (2 blocks from Canada Place, $5) to the ferry terminal and walk on the ferry (you can check luggage like an airplane). On the Victoria side, rent the car. Some agencies will pick you up at the ferry terminal (as it's only a couple of miles from the airport), or grab a cab to the airport. This way you don't pay for either taking the car on the ferry ($40ish), or a reservation ($17.50), and you get right on the next available ferry.

Here is another thought - Harbour Air has a seat sale on to fly to Victoria for $49. (saw it in last nights paper) if that is still on fly over and rent the car in Victoria... (cost of flight to Victoria is normally about $99.)

How much time should we allow for the drive from the Loden Vancouver (downtown) to the BC Ferry (to Victoria) 8-28th which is a friday?

It takes 35-45 minutes to drive. It will take longer during the afternoon rush hour (maybe an hour).

Archived