A hello to my new friends...and a cpl questions (EOS 8/29/09 Bayonne - Bermuda)

Hi all!

Let me start by saying that although I just recently joined, and have been a notorious :rolleyes: lurker, this board has been a wealth of knowledge for me. Not only for my upcoming trip to Bermuda, but also for my last trip, September 08 on the Norwegian Majesty, also to Bermuda, but from Philly.

We (Wife and I, Bro-in-Law, his partner, and my 80 year old aunt :eek: ), are booked on the Explorer of the Seas in a GS (1248) and I would love it if I could solicit some suggestions from people who may have been on this ship in a GS.

My first concern is space. Although they SAY you can fit up to 6 in this particular suite, from all the research I've been able to do, I can not for the life of me see where you could possibly put the roll a way bed! Not to mention that I am sure it will be impossible to move very freely about the cabin when said roll a way is deployed. (Not good with an 80yo with mobility issues I am sure!)

Sooo....having said that, on this particular cruise, all the most other suites are sold out, with the exception of the Owner's Suite, which gives you about 150sf more in cabin space, and a smaller balcony. We do still have the option of "downgrading" to 2 D1 adjoining balconies (at a $400.00 total savings) OR, there is 1 Family Suite available, which would be perfect, but it would also be about $2000.00 MORE :eek:. So based on the collective wisdom of the board members here, would it make most sense to leave things as they are and "wing" it, or, do you think the 2 balconies would make more sense? We would I guess have more total space with the 2 cabins, but as this will most likely be the last cruise my aunt will be able to make, we did want to sort of make is special for her. Hence the suite in the first place.

I actually just got an e-mail from our cruise planner at RCI (Andre C, he ROCKS!!) he says there are only 2 sets of connecting cabins, one on deck 9, one on deck 8, (9530+9532 and 8218+8220).

Now I should mention that I know that everything could change on the day after final payments are all due (06/21), and I wonder if it would be best to sit tight till then?

In any event, thanks all for your anticipated input, and I look forward to hearing from you!!

Bill

I have stayed in Grand Suites the last two times I cruise RCI and have one booked on the Explorer for next year. You will not enjoy your cruise experience with 5 adults in the GS. We cruise with our 8 and 11 year old daughters and there is plenty of room for us, but I would never try to fit 5 adults in there. There is only one bathroom. The sleep sofa is low to the floor and reasonably comfortable, almost like a real bed. A roll away bed would fit between the bar and closet area, but that limits your access. I would say to have your BIL and his partner get a balcony in the vicinity of where your suite is. That way everyone gets some privacy. Your aunt would be comfortable on the sleep sofa, which is almost queen size, unless she would have difficulty getting up from such a low surface. There is a curtain that separates the bed in the GS from the rest of the room, so if you and your wife took the sleep sofa, and your aunt used the bed, you would still have some relative privacy.

If you went to two D-1's that would also help, but you would lose out on the suite experience, which is nice, but can be overrated. The RFS will give two bedrooms and two bathrooms, buy someone still gets the sleep sofa. I would suggest keeping the GS and get an additional D-1, if you can all swing it.

Eric

It is a conundrum! I'd DEFINITELY go with the OS over the GS. It's much bigger. With 5 of you, your aunt would definitely have to sleep on the rollaway. Will she be comfortable in that? Also, I assume your bro-in-law and his BF will sleep on the sofabed...will they be comfortable in that?

From pictures I've seen of family suites, the 2nd BR is REALLY small because it's meant for kids who don't care about (or need) space the way adults do.

But the room IS even bigger than the OS which is great, and the sofabed would be closed up during the day by your steward.

If bro-in-law doesn't mind such a small BR, I'd PROBABLY go with the family suite since it seems like the biggest room.

HOWEVER! I don't think the family suite offers all the great suite amenities that are offered in the OS and GS (like special seating at the pool and at shows, the concierge, the concierge lounge, etc). Those could be awfully nice perks, especially if you want this to be special for your aunt.

And of course two basic balcony rooms (which would be tight for three people) wouldn't give you any suite perks either.

HOWEVER #2, you'd have two bathrooms for 5 people as opposed to just one bathroom, a huge issue.

I'm sure I haven't helped at all with my ramblings. Hopefully someone else will offer better insight, lol.

No no, indeed you have helped. It is pretty much confirming exactly what I suspected. :(

I would love to do the FS, but I just don't know if I can justify an additional 2K on top of the 5K I have already spent.....

Conundrum INDEED!!!!:eek:

Thanks for the response.

Bill

Oh, and the FS does get the "perks" of the suites.....it oughtta for what they charge you for it!!!

Yep, it's looking that way....or maybe, just maybe mind you (in my best Santa to the Evil Magician impression) something will pop after the 20th that will let me either add a balcony on to the suite we have now, or some such lol

Bill

Yep, it's looking that way....or maybe, just maybe mind you (in my best Santa to the Evil Magician impression) something will pop after the 20th that will let me either add a balcony on to the suite we have now, or some such lol

Bill

Here's hoping that is able to happen. That would be the best of both worlds. If you explained the circumstances to the concierge, he may still let your BIL and his partner in too, even if they are in a balcony.

ps, I do believe in Santa too. :)

Archived