Is RCI trying to curtail/prevent customers from getting price drops?

I’ve notice recently (EOS 6/6/09) that as the cruise got closer there would be the following not rather than the price: “Not available online. Please call for availability.” I think that RCI is trying to avoid losing money from customers who are booked and looking to get the priced drops when they lower prices before a cruise and I think they are hoping that people will not call for the prices. In the past, the prices were always online unless they were sold out (NA would be indicated) and if you saw a lower price, you could just call and get the reduction, now, you have to call to get a price. They are just making it a little harder. Just my thoughts.

I think this might be their new improved version of NA. I have seen a lot of price drops in different categories at different times for my October Radiance cruise. Some are special rates (senior, resident, etc.) and some are just plain old price drops.

I think this might be their new improved version of NA. I have seen a lot of price drops in different categories at different times for my October Radiance cruise. Some are special rates (senior, resident, etc.) and some are just plain old price drops.

I agree, on our cruise in August, the cabins that are showing the new wording are the family ones and the guarantees which are either not available or the ones you need to call to get. All others are still showing prices which have been going down until recently. Keep hoping for one more price drop!

I agree, on our cruise in August, the cabins that are showing the new wording are the family ones and the guarantees which are either not available or the ones you need to call to get. All others are still showing prices which have been going down until recently. Keep hoping for one more price drop!

I saw the wording in balcony cabins & outside and inside

A few weeks ago, I contacted my TA to schedule our April 11, 2010 Mariner cruise. We ended up having to schedule for the following week as all of the balcony rooms were already sold (with one exception...Owners suites I believe she mentioned were still available). When I went to RC's site to pull the dates up, just to see for myself, under all the balconies it said "Not Available Online. Please call for availability". In our case, this translated to NA for the April 11, 2010 cruise. Sounds like new wording to me:rolleyes:

I've only seen that remark for guarantees not actual categories. But your logic makes sense - as does theirs too I guess. I admit I've looked and gotten price drops on my next 2 cruises - and large ones at that. Saved about $1000. I have noticed in the past some last minute price drops will say online "Applies to new bookings only."

They also may have this for NA as many of you stated but still want people to call in case they have had openings or are holding back cabins for some mysterious reason. Perhaps if they see a demand in a certain category they will offer upgrades to Diamonds or D+ to create more bookings.

They just dropped the price for passengers #1 & 2 on my upcoming cruise, but they increased the cost of #3 & 4 to actually make it a price increase for four. Would have saved us $200 if it was just DW and I. Unfortuantely Sons #1 and #2 cancel it out.

I’ve notice recently (EOS 6/6/09) that as the cruise got closer there would be the following not rather than the price: “Not available online. Please call for availability.” I think that RCI is trying to avoid losing money from customers who are booked and looking to get the priced drops when they lower prices before a cruise and I think they are hoping that people will not call for the prices. In the past, the prices were always online unless they were sold out (NA would be indicated) and if you saw a lower price, you could just call and get the reduction, now, you have to call to get a price. They are just making it a little harder. Just my thoughts.

When you call them it's easy, not hard. I've gotten over $800 in price drops over the last year for my July 2009 cruise. Called them, told them and they said OK done, look for you card to be credited within 2 weeks. Never took more then 4 days to see my card credited and that was when I called on a Saturday

For those who have gotten price drops and booked through a travel agent (ours is a group), does the TA process the price drop?

Yes, the TA must do it.

I talked to someone at RCCL about two weeks ago about a cruise we were hoping to get our friends to join us on, and the RCCL rep said the new wording is just another way of saying "NA" or "No Availability".

Archived