Akoroa and Bay of Islands

robinph

We are new to cruise critic and would appreciate any advise. We are sailing to NZ 5th Feb 2010 on Sun Princess, we have booked some tours in most ports but could'nt seem to find much to do for Akoroa or Bay of Islands is there anyone that has been to these places that can help. Are there taxi's or tour guides at the warf that we can hire for a reasonable amount. or can you just do your own thing fairly easily. Also where does the ship anchor at Bay of Islands. Just returned from Dawn Princess 23rd May 2009 Fiji Discovery prior to her refit and found her to be looking rather tired. was wondering if anyone has travelled on Sun Princess recently and what sort of condition she is in. Also does anyone know if she is due for a refit any time soon.

;)

I read on the Princess website and here that Sun Princess is due to have a 'freshen up' in April 2010.

In the Bay of Islands you dock at Pahia. I don't recall too much in the way of excursions. We enjoyed a mussels and beer lunch overlooking the water at a restaurant called "Latitude".NZ is famous for both. I believe you can also catch a ferry to Russel township.

Enjoy your cruise and NZ.

Cheers,

Anna

Hi ,

Bay of Islands is a tender port.

You anchor just around the corner from Russell and then the tenders will take you to Paihia.

It is deep enough for ships to come in further but one year a ship dragged its anchor and cut the power cable so they have to keep thier distance now.

We have actually been tendered ashore to 3 locations, Paihia,the main town, Waitangi and Russell, but the new wharf is now complete at Paihia and that is where all the tourist boats leave from.

You can do your own thing at this port,but if you want to go out on any of the boat or bus tours it would pay to book the ships tours as they book up everything for the day a ship is in.

Otherwise its lovely to wander around. You can take the ferry over to Russell,only about 10 minutes, or go to Waitangi and visit the Treaty Grounds.

The locals usually set up a craft market on the town green when a ship is in.

Akaroa is a fairly new call for cruise ships and again would be a tender call. It is a delightful village first settled by the French. Cafes and interesting shops along the waterfront . Main tours from there would be boat trips out into the harbour to see the dolphins.

Akaroa is a fairly new call for cruise ships and again would be a tender call. It is a delightful village first settled by the French. Cafes and interesting shops along the waterfront . Main tours from there would be boat trips out into the harbour to see the dolphins.

Yep, that's it. It's a lovely port though, one of the highlights.

The settlement itself isn't that large so unless you want to chill for a while, it'd be best to look at tours. There are often common tours shared with Christchurch given its proximity. Aside from that, we had a local farmer offering a tour which went down well with those who took it and the main one there is either swimming with dolphins, or the harbour cruise.

We stopped at Akaroa on our Celebrity cruise this past Christmas. It was one of our absolute favorite ports of call. In the morning we booked a dolphin cruise. We did not book through the ship. Booking yourself was about 1/3 the price. All the harbor cruise boats leave from the same dock which is also where you get let off from the tenders. It could not be any easier! Definitely book this ahead of time if interested because all the cruises filled up and many people were not able to do this tour. In the afternoon we took a sheep farm tour with Akaroa Farm Tours. We did not book this ahead of time. They were at the port with their dog offering tours. They have a nice website and the tour can be booked ahead of time. This was also a highlight of our cruise. The drive to their farm was spectacular, the tour was great, and at the end of the tour they served homemade scones and tea/coffee/juice. I can't remember the price but it was extremely reasonable even for a family of four like us. You are going to love this port of call and don't forget to try hokey pokey ice cream!

Wonderful options

if you have a day or two

or a week

up there....

but we are talking about a 1 day call on a cruise ship....

I think that all bar the Cape Reinga trip are doable on a 1 day call on a cruise ship. Even that is practical if you have an early arrival and late departure. My husband is from Kaitaia so we are very familiar with the area

I think that all bar the Cape Reinga trip are doable on a 1 day call on a cruise ship. Even that is practical if you have an early arrival and late departure. My husband is from Kaitaia so we are very familiar with the area

I was referring more to the fact that tendering ashore and back to the ship can take up valuable time and eat into your plans for the day.

We stopped at Akaroa on our Celebrity cruise this past Christmas. It was one of our absolute favorite ports of call. In the morning we booked a dolphin cruise. We did not book through the ship. Booking yourself was about 1/3 the price. All the harbor cruise boats leave from the same dock which is also where you get let off from the tenders. It could not be any easier! Definitely book this ahead of time if interested because all the cruises filled up and many people were not able to do this tour. In the afternoon we took a sheep farm tour with Akaroa Farm Tours. We did not book this ahead of time. They were at the port with their dog offering tours. They have a nice website and the tour can be booked ahead of time. This was also a highlight of our cruise. The drive to their farm was spectacular, the tour was great, and at the end of the tour they served homemade scones and tea/coffee/juice. I can't remember the price but it was extremely reasonable even for a family of four like us. You are going to love this port of call and don't forget to try hokey pokey ice cream!

Can you give us the name of the tour company that you used referring to the above e-mail. We will be doing the Sun Princess r/t Sydney and this will be our last stop before returning to Sydney in November. Thanks.:o

It was actually Akaroa Dolphins. They are a family run business and even brought the family dog on our cruise. They served drinks and homemade cookies on the trip. You had the choice to sit inside, in the back, on top, or way in the front. Most people moved around to different spots throughout the cruise. We saw many hector dolphins, sea lions, and even a penguin swimming in the water (that was cool). On the website they do not list there prices but they were the same as everyone else that you can book privately. We did not have to pay until that morning. Their office is right in town which is at most two short blocks from where you tender in. Their boat is on the same dock as where you tender. And don't forget the hockey pockey ice cream!

Archived