Anytime Dining/Formal Nights

Fetchpeople

Can someone please advise what the dress code is in the Anytime Dining locations on formal nights? Is the code casual, formal, or jacket with or without tie?

I am assuming that the buffet area is certainly not formal.

Thanks.

I guess I might be a little off-topic, but do anytime diners have different dining rooms than traditional diners? I thought all would be in the same place, just seated at different times (and didn't even think of a dress code difference).

I think when it is called formal a tie is just expected, unless you are in Kilts. But, then, I could be wrong - I know the answewr book doesn't specify tie - but formal, to me, has always included a tie.

However, there are more cruise experienced people on this forum who know what Princess really means when they say "formal" or "smart casual". I think the Answer book is self explanatory and defines it rather well - others tend to read and comprehend it different than I do. Perhaps it is my age or the way my parents brought me up.

Ron

Oh dear! Will us anytimers be seated between the proverbial kitchen and restroon?

Thanks for the info. I hope they give me good directions on where to go when I get on the ship :)

No you will be in one of the beautiful dining rooms. there is no significant difference between the TD and the AD dining rooms.

The 4 Princess cruises I have been on there were two dining rooms for anytime and 1 for traditional. If you like you table/servers they let you make a stading reservation, which really defeats the purpose of ATD and makes it hard to get a window table.

Can someone please advise what the dress code is in the Anytime Dining locations on formal nights? Is the code casual, formal, or jacket with or without tie?

Thanks.

Princess provides the dress codes:

http://www.princess.com/learn/answer/before_you_leave/bring.jsp

You need to understand that just as in land based restaurants, the Maitre d' is the final authority. Consequently, enforcement can, and often does, change from ship to ship.

I think the answer book is quite definitive - I don't know how anyone could misinterpret it

"Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for menTuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men"

This is from the answer book - I realize it doesn't specify tie, but I think if you wear a suit or tux a tie just comes standard.

Notice it doesn't state shoes and socks, but that again is a given.

Thanks.

Tie is not required even if people feel it is inferred and preferred.

I just wear a long sleeve shirt with out a jacket and that works as well.

It amazes me that seemingly intelligent people don't understand that "formal"

means "wear a tie." :rolleyes:

"seemingly intelligent" is the operative word here.

I have never seen any ads from JCP, SEARS, MENS WEARHOUSE, et al that don't show a man wearing a suit or tux without a tie.

Ron

Intelligence doesn't always come with common sense and consideration. Princess is pretty precise with the dress code description so anyone who ignores it is just plain self centered.

I wish Princess would enforce the dress code better because that would solve a lot of the problems and I wish cruisers who want to remain casual would select lines that fit their styles.

I do understand that sometimes all you want is a casual cruise. dh and I both have been on Princess and stayed casual, but out of respect for fellow cruisers we eat at the buffet on formal nights.

One would probably need to go somewhere beyond the $99 tuxedo retailers to find a tuxedo that does not use a tie. Mandarin collar shirts or banded collar shirts would be an example that Sears and Penneys may not show in their advertising or carry.

Let's be honest, there is nothing that really conveys "formal" in Princess' dress code. If this were truly a "formal" event, there wouldn't be any confusion about whether pretty dresses, mens suits, black tee-shirt dresses with pearls, lime plaid shorts and top, etc. were appropriate. I would stop far short of calling the people who wrote the dress guidelines and the people who man the podium in the dining rooms unintelligent, but they certainly are not acting as though they are completely clear on what "formal" actually means. So, too, a number of people who post to this board. A tuxedo without a tie is formalwear with the appropriate shirt, a mens suit -- with or without a tie -- is not formalwear.

I think the answer book is quite definitive - I don't know how anyone could misinterpret it

"Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for menTuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men"

This is from the answer book - I realize it doesn't specify tie, but I think if you wear a suit or tux a tie just comes standard.

Notice it doesn't state shoes and socks, but that again is a given.

I think if you read it a little closer it says shoes are required but socks are not mentioned.

I propose that a strict formal code should exist for the TD room. A more lax code for the AT room. I think the description of the Traditional Dining room describes those who choose that dining room. For those of us who are not so traditional give us a break and let us dress comfortably. If needed set one AT dining room for the traditionlists on the fence to dress semi formal.

BTW I have never bought a suit at JCP, Sears or Men's Warehouse.

Shorts / T-shirts / Tattered Jeans for those who are comfortable in that?

who are not so traditional give us a break and let us dress comfortably. If needed set one AT dining room for the traditionlists on the fence to dress semi formal.

Why not for formal nights for those who are so comfortable? Those who do not wish to dress formally want to establish "their own" dress code for formal nights instead of using one suggested by the cruise line.

Shorts / T-shirts / Tattered Jeans for those who are comfortable in that?

My comments were based on formal nights. I have not heard many complaints about smart casual nights other than the lime green shorts.

I propose that a strict formal code should exist for the TD room. A more lax code for the AT room. I think the description of the Traditional Dining room describes those who choose that dining room. For those of us who are not so traditional give us a break and let us dress comfortably. If needed set one AT dining room for the traditionlists on the fence to dress semi formal.

BTW I have never bought a suit at JCP, Sears or Men's Warehouse.

I'm all for your suggestion BUT the problem is that some of the traditionalists who cannot get traditional seating will be screaming that their being punished but having to sit in the "informal" dining room. It appears form the last survey on CC that most really want the stuffiness associated with the formal setting.

It's still a good suggestion for the comment cards.

Archived