Anytime Dining/Formal Nights

Fetchpeople

I think if you read it a little closer it says shoes are required but socks are not mentioned.

In the early 1980's for a very short time men in suits without socks were actually in style. A neighbor of mine, a very stylish dresser, and I went out one night bar hopping. He did not wear socks.

I thought this was stupid and wore my socks. I do not remember how long the no socks "style" lasted, but I am sure it was too long. :D

In the early 1980's for a very short time men in suits without socks were actually in style. A neighbor of mine, a very stylish dresser, and I went out one night bar hopping. He did not wear socks.

I thought this was stupid and wore my socks. I do not remember how long the no socks "style" lasted, but I am sure it was too long. :D

I always throw at least one pair in my suitcase for those formal nights.

Regarding traditional vs anytime dining - we signed up for the anytime dining on the Island Princess (Alaska 6/15) but were directed to the traditional DR at least 3 times for dinner because AT had a long line (we went between 7 and 8) while there were many empty tables at that time in traditional. We were told that very few people signed up for the late seating.

Required for formal night for males is a pair of pants, long sleeved dress shirt and shoes. You may dress better if you so choose and they do make a SUGGESTION as to what to wear. A lot of posters on CC seem to not understand the difference between the English word suggestion and the English word required.

You are all beating a dead horse.

horse.gif

My understanding, on formal nights, is all areas are formal with the exception of the buffet area. Enjoy!

It may have been so 20 years ago but things have changed considerable lately.

1. Formal nights are formal in all dining venues except the buffet

2. Formal means at minimum at decent pair of pants and long sleeved shirt, but a jacket, say a blazer would be preferable. Tie is preferred, but not an absolute necessity.

Why do I ask? Because packing light is an important objective and the jacket/tie stuff takes space. And that says nothing about the space needed for fancy dresses with matching purse/shoes, you name it) and a tux, with its accessories (shirt/shoes/cumberbund).

2. Formal means at minimum at decent pair of pants and long sleeved shirt, but a jacket, say a blazer would be preferable. Tie is preferred, but not an absolute necessity.

Why do I ask? Because packing light is an important objective and the jacket/tie stuff takes space. And that says nothing about the space needed for fancy dresses with matching purse/shoes, you name it) and a tux, with its accessories (shirt/shoes/cumberbund).

OK, let's go to the 2009 Cruise Answer Book" for the answers.

1. Page 10

"When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.'

This indicates that formal clothes are not necessary in the extra cost steak house and Italian restaurants.

2. Page 15

"Formal:

Evening gowns, cocktail dresses, or elegant pant suit for women.

Tuxedo, dark suit or dinner jacket and slacks for men."

Yes, on some ships you can get away with less than the suggested clothes, but it is certainly not in the spirit of formal night.

You're got the idea now. Not to say that some people won't dress for the whole evening, but that's their choice. You'll fine people in shorts sitting along side people in tuxes in the show lounge & at the champagne waterfall event.

You're got the idea now. Not to say that some people won't dress for the whole evening, but that's their choice. You'll fine people in shorts sitting along side people in tuxes in the show lounge & at the champagne waterfall event.

Everyone is usually in a pretty good mood. They are on a cruise. :D

Archived