paradise cove luau

MAMATAMA

We are spending 3 day's in Honolulu pre cruise and have booked Paradise Cove through

Fun Hawaii Travel

Phone 808-926-8878

http://www.fun-hawaii.com

This was about the cheapest place on the net.

Also I am an Aussie and have heard of grits but have no idea what it is. Fill me in please.:confused:

Marilyn,

Too many choices, But thats what makes this board so much fun... I love all of the comments..:p

Doe

Doe, I agree so many choices for everything. I leave next Saturday, I have to get this done!

Glynette

• 3 weeks later...

Grits...pronounced Gri ets (yes, 2 syllables :D and use your best southern accent :p) are ground corn and hominy. Hominy is like corn but I've never eaten it. When you make gri ets you have to put salt in them or they are nasty and, of course, butter. Some people like them with cheese and bacon. They are a staple with breakfast here in the south. Gri ets are great stick-to-your-ribs breakfast. Try them.

I'm definately off to check out the paradise cove luau. We will be there late November.

For those that have done the Paradise Cove, were you on a ship? What did you do about transportation to and from since they don't pick up from the ship? Did you get back to the ship with enough time or was it close?

I really want to go to the Paradise Cove luau but concerned about transportation and getting back to the ship in time even though our ship doesn't sail until 11pm.

Mel, thanks for your help, which cruise will you be taking? we will be on the. Golden 1/31/10.

And I'm with y'all grits lovers, grits are the best! just don't put any sugar in them please!;)

A former Georgia peach her too, live 23 years on the southside of Atlanta.

OMG, for heavens sake NEVER put sugar on grits. Salt, pepper and butter. I love a homemade biscuit with a fried egg, slice of bacon, grits and butter. (slurp):p

Ok, I called paradise cove. They will not pick up at the ship only Waikiki. He said the closest pickup is only about 1 mile away. Their refund policy is 24 hours in advance in case weather prevents the ship from docking or the itinerary changes (which has happened once to us already). They very rarely have a weather cancellation. However, heads&tails thanks for the time info, will we make it back to the ship in time? The luau thru the ship is 179.00 ea and the deluxe package at paradise is 137.00. Think I'll call around to other luau's. I'll let you know what I find out.

Cruz, we are about 25-30 miles north of the airport close to lake lanier. We'll be on the Golden for Thanksgiving, 2 weeks.

• Administrators
We actually did Paradise Cove the night before embarkation so there were no issues in getting back to the ship. I agree with Heads&Tails, it is too close, you are only one traffic accident away from missing your ship.

I agree as well (and we did that, too -- Paradise Cove the night before embarkation, Pearl Harbor early the next morning, then boarded the ship). These kinds of options are really good if you are spending a night or two on Oahu ahead of, or after, your cruise. But if a timing concern would mean missing the ship, I'd explore other options.

This is what I found out and the decision we made.

Doing Paradise Cove is out due to time limitations. I looked into the Polynesian Cultural Center luau. It looks wonderful, however, it's on the other side of the island. (we dock in Lahaina) From what I can tell it's about 1 1/2 hours away. If the luau ends at 9:00 then we can't make that back either. Well, the ships luau is at the Polynesian Center and for about 25.00 more a person would definately be worth it to ensure we made it back to the ship. OTOH, it's an all day thing. 10 hours!!!!! I do not want to spend the whole, only, day at one place.

We have moved to plan B. The ship offers a sunset dinner cruise with a few traditional luau items. It also has the dancing and drums, drinks, participation in dancing and is only 4 hours. It looks like that is about as close to a luau as we are going to get this time.

Doing Paradise Cove is out due to time limitations. I looked into the Polynesian Cultural Center luau. It looks wonderful, however, it's on the other side of the island. (we dock in Lahaina) From what I can tell it's about 1 1/2 hours away. If the luau ends at 9:00 then we can't make that back either. Well, the ships luau is at the Polynesian Center and for about 25.00 more a person would definately be worth it to ensure we made it back to the ship. OTOH, it's an all day thing. 10 hours!!!!! I do not want to spend the whole, only, day at one place.

We have moved to plan B. The ship offers a sunset dinner cruise with a few traditional luau items. It also has the dancing and drums, drinks, participation in dancing and is only 4 hours. It looks like that is about as close to a luau as we are going to get this time.

You don't mean PCC and Lahaina, do you? Lahaina is on Maui, PCC is on Oahu. Also, for those who are unaware, PCC serves NO alcohol.

Lahaina is on Maui, Polynesian Cultural Center is on Oahu, you would definitely have had issues!

Mel,

That was also my Plan B but I looked at the reviews on that excursion and they weren't very good. I just don't want to feel like a part of a herd while on vacation. My plan "C" now is to just find a very nice place for dinner, there are a lot of very good restaurants.

I'm resigned to not doing a luau until we visit the islands on a land only trip.

Mary

http://www.robertshawaii.com/oahu/alii-kai-dinner-

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g60982-d1089584-Reviews-Ali_i_Kai_Catamaran-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

here are the links to what I found. Let me know your thoughts. I know that reviews are very subjective, especially when it comes to food. Trip Advisor usually works pretty well for me when I researching someplace I've never been.

Yeah, I read the reviews too. Not looking good. I didn't read one good review save for the guy that thought everyone worked hard despite nothing being good. I've moved to plan C.

Plan C.....I've looked up other sunset dinner cruises and found the best reviews for the Navatek. I'm going to look into that one more. It's a bit pricier but this looks like a situation where you get what you pay for, literally. Any thoughts on Navatek or any other dinner cruises?

Plan D.....dinner on land. Honolulu is our only night that we stay past 6:00 so we really want a different experience.

Yeah, I read the reviews too. Not looking good. I didn't read one good review save for the guy that thought everyone worked hard despite nothing being good. I've moved to plan C.

Plan C.....I've looked up other sunset dinner cruises and found the best reviews for the Navatek. I'm going to look into that one more. It's a bit pricier but this looks like a situation where you get what you pay for, literally. Any thoughts on Navatek or any other dinner cruises?

Plan D.....dinner on land. Honolulu is our only night that we stay past 6:00 so we really want a different experience.

OK - Plan D could be House Without a Key. It will give you some Hawaiian entertainment, a former Miss Hawaii performing the hula and you won't have to leave the Waikiki area.

Archived