paradise cove luau

MAMATAMA

I actually was looking at La Mer but the House Without a Key is definitely a possiblity. Have you been? On to Trip Advisor to see what they say. The picture looks great, it should be a beautiful place to have dinner with some local entertainment. Thanks for the link calgarygary!

Plan "E" the ship's dining room, :(

I agree with Calgary gary, House without a Key is lovely. Kanoe Miller is the former Miss Hawaii he mentioned. I'm not sure what nights she is dancing nowdays, but the Halekulani's site probably has a schedule. It's a beautiful setting, and the food is good too.

La Mer is wonderful, very much more formal than the House.

There's also the "Grand Old Lady", the Sheraton Moana-I believe they still do formal English Tea certain days on the veranda.

You won't go hungry or thirsty for sure!

I agree with Calgary gary, House without a Key is lovely. Kanoe Miller is the former Miss Hawaii he mentioned. I'm not sure what nights she is dancing nowdays, but the Halekulani's site probably has a schedule. It's a beautiful setting, and the food is good too.

La Mer is wonderful, very much more formal than the House.

There's also the "Grand Old Lady", the Sheraton Moana-I believe they still do formal English Tea certain days on the veranda.

You won't go hungry or thirsty for sure!

When Kanoe Miller is not performing, another former Miss Hawaii, Debbie Nakanelua does the Hula. So no matter what evening you go, you will see a former Miss Hawaii perform the Hula. As I mentioned, our first evening was at House Without a Key and the next evening we went to Paradise Cove - I can't imagine a better way to start a Hawaiian vacation.

Indeed, a great way to begin your visit! Good food and drink, wonderful hula, sunset by the beach-yep, a winner.

And if you have time, go to Iolani Palace, the Academy of Arts, the Bishop Museum...hmmm-perhaps you need to add a few extra days to your plans!

Hopefully there will be a land trip to Hawaii in my future and we can then do more. I really would have liked to see the Paradise Cove Luau, the location right on the water really sold me compared to the other two.

So for now it's down to A House Without a Key as the most likely. This is now my Plan "A".

Plan "B" is the Sunset Cocktail Cruise and Ultimate Balcony Dinner after we return to the ship.

Yeah, I'm definately interested in the sunset dinner cruise. Navatek is one I found and read briefly but now that I have more time I'm going to check it out. It sounded very nice and a few reviews I read were good. If not, Plan D.....House without a Key.

Shore excursions are now available to book for our cruise!!!!! Off to see if we will be doing anything thru the ship.

Thanks for the link Mary. It sounded wonderful up until I saw their sailing days for November this year. Only on Sunday and Wednesday and we will be there on Friday. We could do the Friday fireworks sailing but I can't seem to associate Hawaii with fireworks. :o

Our schedule for that day is renting a car, seeing Waikiki, hiking diamond head, driving to the north shore to see the incredible waves (hopefully there will be some) with lots of stops in between, light lunch, then to dinner.

Option 1. Start off at Royal Hawaiian Hotel. This is where someone on our roll call is going. They have a bar called MaiTai Bar where the sunset is fabulous. Then depending on how much we have to drink there :rolleyes: we may just hang out more or go to another restaurant.

Option 2. House without a Key. It looks wonderful and romantic. Be there for sunset and dinner. The dinner menu sounds scrumptous.

Have you thought about what you're doing on Maui? I've been reading some of the threads on Maui and think I may have it figured out.

Ahem.......Hey West Maui if you're still out there can I pick your brain?

Ahem.......Hey West Maui if you're still out there can I pick your brain?

Aloha, yes, I am still out here! Ask away. I will do my best to answer you quickly, but may not be able to today. Too much work and housework to do!;)

Thank you.

I was thinking about renting a car when we arrive in Lahaina (which is a tender port for us) and doing some of our own sight seeing. What do you think about this?

Drive out towards Upcountry to Paia to Haiku Beach Park (from another thread you posted on) and seeing the turquoise water and windsurfers. Perhaps on toward Kapalua Bay for more sight seeing and just drinking in our surroundings then head back and stop at Kaanapali Beach for a bit, hit Whalers Village for a relaxing lunch/snack and drink before heading back to the ship. We will be in port from 7-6:00 p.m. that day. We would not plan on being "first" off the ship just to let the people traffic die down but would like to catch the tender around 8:30ish.

Is this doable? Is this enough to take up the hours we are there or can we plan on going out/in further and enjoying more of Maui?

You're such a great source of info :p.........thanks.

Aloha, Mel,

Yikes......you can't possibly manage this itinerary if you start at 8:30.....which will really be closer to 9:30-10:00 by the time you get your car and hit the road. Lahaina to Paia is around an hour and fifteen minutes or an hour and a half drive each way. Hookipa Beach Park is about ten minutes past Paia, but assuming (my bad) that you want to stop and visit Paia town, hang at Hookipa for a bit, etc.......you will have already burned the better part of the day by the time you come back to the West side.

Remember, Kapalua is north of Lahaina, by about 20 minutes. So if I'm understanding your post, you want to come back to Lahaina, drive on past and come up north? That's doable, but by your schedule as written, you'd be getting to Kapalua at more like 4 pm.

Do you stop on the Kahului side? If so, doing Paia and Upcountry from there cuts out several hours of driving time. Then you could focus on the West side (from around Lahaina north to Kapalua) on your stop at Lahaina.

Mel, too bad about the sunset cruise, I like your ideas for Maui.

Since it's a tender port and there is some discussion about missing the port due to high seas, I'm not planning anything as far as a tour is concerned and have rented a car as well. This will be our last stop so I'm thinking a very relaxing drive around the island, maybe even stop at the beach for a while. Oh, and of course shopping!

Wow, okay. Let me say this.......we want to rent a car. We can plan on getting off the ship asap if needed. I'd love to see the turquoise water you were talking about but I guess we won't have time for that :(. Is there another place to see that kind of water? I want to stop at a local place for lunch (that doesn't cost an arm and leg). I'd love to see the beach and maybe have a Mai Tai in whalers village. Basically, we just want a relaxing day. I want to drive up the coast a bit stop in a few places to look out across the ocean along the way with the great photo opps.

So, basically could you plan out our day in Maui for us. :D

WM, I see where I went wrong. Mind if I call you WM? :p

I was looking at a bogus map. I see now where Paia really is. Yikes!!! No wonder you said no way. And the turquoise water is out too :( unless you know of another spot :)

We want to stay in West Maui area. What is your opinion on Iao Valley and the Iao Needle? We would find that interesting and love the feel of being in a rain forest. Can we do Iao then travel to Kaanapali Beach to spend an hour then whalers Village in a leisurely way?

And while I'm asking....hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.......do you know the closest place to rent a car from Hertz from Lahaina?

Thanks for all your time. And if you're ever in Atlanta I'll be glad to return the favor.

WM, I see where I went wrong. Mind if I call you WM? :p

I was looking at a bogus map. I see now where Paia really is. Yikes!!! No wonder you said no way. And the turquoise water is out too :( unless you know of another spot :)

We want to stay in West Maui area. What is your opinion on Iao Valley and the Iao Needle? We would find that interesting and love the feel of being in a rain forest. Can we do Iao then travel to Kaanapali Beach to spend an hour then whalers Village in a leisurely way?

And while I'm asking....hey, it doesn't hurt to ask.......do you know the closest place to rent a car from Hertz from Lahaina?

Thanks for all your time. And if you're ever in Atlanta I'll be glad to return the favor.

Good morning, Mel,

Your second plan sounds much more relaxing! Regretfully, I have to say that despite many, many years on Maui, I know of only a few spots with the unique turquoise shade...Hookipa, Keanae Peninsula, and areas near Hana. Perhaps you'll have to save that side for your next visit!

I'ao Valley is well worth the drive. It's about an hour and fifteen minutes from Lahaina. Not really the West side-you'll still be going over the Pali-but much closer than the North shore. I'ao is usually better visited in the mornings, too, due to the clouds gathering on most afternoons. When you come back down from the Valley, you might want to stop at Bailey House Museum-it's on the road. It is the home of our County Historical Society as well as a museum, and not large but fun. The grounds are lovely--mostly thanks to one of the largest benefactor families here in Maui, the Yokouchis. They donated huge sums and land to the Society, and were also driving forces behinid our Art and Cultural Center. Baliey House has a cute gift shop-which is why I recommend stopping after you visit the Needle. No point in lugging those packages around, right?! The gift shop has some unique and less "mass produced" items, many locally made.

You could then either stop at Ma'alaea (where the Ocean Center is) for lunch, or come on back to Whaler's Village. Whaler's Village is in the middle of Ka'anapali Beach, so it's a good place to explore from.

All the rental car companies are located at the same spot, actually. It's about 15 minutes north of Lahaina. Hertz has shuttles, like all the companies. Although they used to have desks in a few of the hotels, it wouldn't save you any time to use one of those...

And yes, you can call me (almost) anything-- "WM" is nicer than some things I was called during my police career...........:eek:

WestMaui,

Sorry for jumping in here. My DH & I will be visiting Lahaina on the 30th Sept on the Sun Princess. We were going to do the Haleakala Crater tour but due to DH having a Heart Attack last April we opted out due to the alltitude. But we found a historic trail map in the Lahaina site. It is all numbered so we can just walk from one place to the next. As you are from the area. Have you heard of it. We like to know the history of where we are visiting so I think it would be very enjoyable. We are from Australia so we prefer not to drive. Is there any where you feel we really need to see. We are there for 10 hours.:)

Cheers

Tracey

Aloha,

Mel, thanks for your offer to help me out if I ever get to Atlanta! I will keep that in mind.

No need to apologize for jumping in with a q, it's nice to be able to help guests make the most of their visits. I think the Historical Walking Tour of Lahaina is a good option for you and your husband. A few of the sites charge a small admission fee (a few dollars), but many are free, and you can do as much or as little of it as you wish. Most of the sites are close to the "main drag" of Front Street, so you won't have a problem with being far from the ship if you decide you're tired.

If you are feeling like Lahaina's too hot and/or crowded, you could hop a taxi or the shuttle bus to Whaler's Village and the Ka'anapali area. It will be cooler than Lahaina and less crowded, plus the beach is lovely for a stroll. There's a beachwalk which runs from the Hyatt (at the southern end) up to Maui Ka'anapali Villas at the north.

With only ten hours, doing Lahaina and Ka'anapali is probably all you'll be able to manage without exhausting yourselves. Do be aware that the end of September can be very hot--and Lahaina is typically very warm anyway...make sure you take your time and drink lots of water.:)

Aloha,

Mel, thanks for your offer to help me out if I ever get to Atlanta! I will keep that in mind.

No need to apologize for jumping in with a q, it's nice to be able to help guests make the most of their visits. I think the Historical Walking Tour of Lahaina is a good option for you and your husband. A few of the sites charge a small admission fee (a few dollars), but many are free, and you can do as much or as little of it as you wish. Most of the sites are close to the "main drag" of Front Street, so you won't have a problem with being far from the ship if you decide you're tired.

If you are feeling like Lahaina's too hot and/or crowded, you could hop a taxi or the shuttle bus to Whaler's Village and the Ka'anapali area. It will be cooler than Lahaina and less crowded, plus the beach is lovely for a stroll. There's a beachwalk which runs from the Hyatt (at the southern end) up to Maui Ka'anapali Villas at the north.

With only ten hours, doing Lahaina and Ka'anapali is probably all you'll be able to manage without exhausting yourselves. Do be aware that the end of September can be very hot--and Lahaina is typically very warm anyway...make sure you take your time and drink lots of water.:)

West Maui,

Thankyou for your input. We will be doing the walking tour. Do you live in the area? If so we will have to meet up for a cold one.

Tracey & John

Archived