HAL Ringtones - RevNeal?

LordSpain

You know, when I first read this I said to myself "are you kidding me"...but guess who now has this as their ringtone? I'm such a nerd!! :) :)

I had a hard time at first, but I saved it to my desktop and then emailed it to my phone and saved it there. Now I'm good to go and everytime my phone rings I'm back onboard.

Good for you :) It is actually a very nice ringtone. I believe there are other cruise lines that use the same announcement chime so it can remind many of their cruise. It is actually just my way of feeling that I am still on board the ship but sadly I do not get enough phone calls :(

Try right-clicking on the link Rich posted and choose "Save Target As"

Give it a name, Save, and you should have it. :)

Sorry to be such a dummy, John, but once we "Save Target As," what do we do with it from there...to transfer it to a cell phone?

Thanks!!!;)

Sorry to be such a dummy, John, but once we "Save Target As," what do we do with it from there...to transfer it to a cell phone?

Thanks!!!;)

Not John, but several different ways to transfer depending on what kind of cell phone you have.

1. As someone said in an earlier post, email it to the phone.

2. If your phone has a media card, put the tone on it and transfer that way

3. Most current phones have a cable available to sync your phones address book to one on your computer. That setup will also transfer the ring tone.

Most likely other ways as well, again partially depends on what type of phone you have

Rich

Not John, but several different ways to transfer depending on what kind of cell phone you have.

1. As someone said in an earlier post, email it to the phone.

Rich

Does my phone have an email address? Sorry to be so clueless. Once I email it to the phone, how do I retrieve it. < hanging head in shame > :o

< if my son were here, he'd be able to tell me....after he rolled his eyes :rolleyes: >

Does my phone have an email address? Sorry to be so clueless. Once I email it to the phone, how do I retrieve it. < hanging head in shame > :o

< if my son were here, he'd be able to tell me....after he rolled his eyes :rolleyes: >

Most, if not all, current cell plans assign an email address to the phone. Generally it is of the form <phone number>@provider.

for instance, users of the former cingular service would have an email address of

<phone number>@cingularme.com

here are some others I found with a quick search, but your provider should be able to give you the address for your phone

ATT or Cingular - number@cingularme.com,

number@mobile.mycingular.com,

number@txt.att.com

T-Mobile - number@tmomail.com(Update: If it doesn’t work, try number@tmomail.net) Thanks lex241

Verizon - number@vtext.com

Sprint - number@messaging.sprintpcs.com (Sprint PCS)

number@messaging.nextel.com (Nextel)

Alltel - number@message.alltel.com

Virgin Mobile - number@vmobl.com

Boost - number@myboostmobile.com

how to make it a ringtone would depend on which phone you have

Rich

On Princess, the announcement chime is just a standard "doorbell" chime. When we were in port, we were docked near enough at least one HAL ship to hear the chime, and I felt a little sad whenever I heard it. Just one of the many little HAL touches I missed... :)

Hi- I have an I-phone. How do get the chimes to be my ringtone. I messed around with this months ago in I-tunes and never could get it to work:confused:

Thanks

I just emailed (regular email address) the ringtone-which also goes to my phone. I now have it in an email in my phone,now what? Do I have to plug my phone into my computer?

Hi- I have an I-phone. How do get the chimes to be my ringtone. I messed around with this months ago in I-tunes and never could get it to work:confused:

Thanks

I just emailed (regular email address) the ringtone-which also goes to my phone. I now have it in an email in my phone,now what? Do I have to plug my phone into my computer?

Disclaimer -- I don't have an iphone to check this out with, but here are some instructions I found in a quick search

http://www.bukisa.com/articles/523_converting-mp3-files-to-iphone-ringtones

Hope it works for you

Rich

That IS funny, Lisa..... :)

When I get a new phone, I have to decide if I want the ship's horn or the announcement chime. I'd LOVE to have HAL's three toot ship's horn sound for my ringtone.

SAIL, great idea! I LOVE the ships horn sound!;)

I downloaded it the first time around from Rev. Neal and the fact that I got it from that phone to my new phone was a minor miracle in itself, but I now use it as my notification that I have a text. I love it!:D

Thank you Rich and Greg for the info. As an iphone user, I have been unsuccessful getting the ringtone. I saved the instructions you gave Rich and will give that a try. Greg, is iToner2 separate software I need to purchase or is it an app I can download?

I just love the sound of HAL chimes. Does anyone have a recording of ship's horn--that's my favorite sound!

Thank you Rich and Greg for the info. As an iphone user, I have been unsuccessful getting the ringtone. I saved the instructions you gave Rich and will give tha a try. Greg, is iToner2 separate software I need to purchase or is it an app I can download?

I just love the sound of HAL chimes. Does anyone have a recording of ship's horn--that's my favorite sound!

iToner is a Mac Application that you can download for free from Ambrosia Software (HERE).

While it's a shareware item, it can be used for free to take the file and add it to your iphone. You have to change the file type from .m4a to .mp3, but that can be done by manually changing the type in the title (just typing in the change). No other conversion is needed.

Then, drag and drop it into the application, and click "sync." It's easy. If you don't want to have to wait the 30 second delay you can buy the code to the application, but you don't have to do that to use it to put the ringtone on your iPhone.

If you use a Windows machine and not a Macintosh I'm sure there are other Applications that will help you or procedures that will allow you to add the ringtone.

As for a file of the ship's whistle ... I'd love to have one of those too, and I might have an audio recording of one sounding that I could convert. I'll have to search for it among my videos.

iToner is a Mac Application that you can download for free from Ambrosia Software (HERE).

While it's a shareware item, it can be used for free to take the file and add it to your iphone. You have to change the file type from .m4a to .mp3, but that can be done by manually changing the type in the title (just typing in the change). No other conversion is needed.

Then, drag and drop it into the application, and click "sync." It's easy. If you don't want to have to wait the 30 second delay you can buy the code to the application, but you don't have to do that to use it to put the ringtone on your iPhone.

If you use a Windows machine and not a Macintosh I'm sure there are other Applications that will help you or procedures that will allow you to add the ringtone.

As for a file of the ship's whistle ... I'd love to have one of those too, and I might have an audio recording of one sounding that I could convert. I'll have to search for it among my videos.

just a quick note -- my link was to a mp3 version of the file, no conversion necessary

Rich

Thanks a lot for this information, Greg. I think I can do that!

just a quick note -- my link was to a mp3 version of the file, no conversion necessary

Thanks, Rich. I was speaking more in-general. :) Any file can be turned into a ringtone for the iphone using iToner, but it has to be an .mp3. Actually, if it's an .mp4 or .m4a file just changing the extension is sufficient.

Thanks for providing the .mp3 format version, though.

This would be a fun thing for the computer classes on board to cover. Wouldn't it be great advertising for HAL to have hundreds (or more) people with their phones sounding like the dam ships? They would be explaining the odd ring tones to all their friends.;)

Here's a link to a HAL ship's whistle. This is the Statendam's, recorded on departure from San Diego in 2002, heading out to Hawaii. :D

http://www.revneal.org/halwhistle1.mp3

Right-click this to download the file. If using a Mac, just put your cursor over the link, hold down the "ctrl" key and tap the mouse button. That will give you your contextual menu, and from that you can select "Download Linked File."

This would be a fun thing for the computer classes on board to cover. Wouldn't it be great advertising for HAL to have hundreds (or more) people with their phones sounding like the dam ships? They would be explaining the odd ring tones to all their friends.;)

Unfortunately, while it might be fun for the cruisers, in truth those classes only exist to sell people on Microsoft products. The classes do not cover technology, just the version of it handled by Microsoft. Many products exist that will do the same things, very few people know about them -- or will give them a try.

Rich

the ringtone in mp3 can be found at

http://www.wa70.com/hal/halringtone.mp3

most likely this can be used on your windows based phone

Rich

Thanks for the help on where to find the halringtone. I downloaded it to iTunes then attempted to place it as an "alert" to any new email. I gave up after about an hour....my computer-nerd son accomplished it in about 45 seconds. Now I receive a pleasant memory everytime I get new email.

Way too funny!

I just clicked on the file and my laptop played it. Only took a few seconds for hubbie upstairs to yell down wanting to know where I got THAT! :D

I see some fun uses for that! Thanks for posting it.

• 1 month later...

Archived