Internet--Don't yell at me please

CruzzyToozy

Please don't yell at me if this has already been addressed. There are zillions of posts and so far I've not found one that applies...BUT...

If I have AT&T's little gizmo that I can attach to my laptop and get internet access anywhere...would I be able to use it on the ship at sea or at any port? Do they work via satellite?

Thanks

I don't think so. An air card needs a cell tower to get a signal. There are no cell towers out in the ocean. I guess you could use the cell service on the ship ... just as you would with a cell phone ... but then you're gonna pay through the wazoo for it. Better to just use standard wifi from the ship. The rates are much, much cheaper.

If I recall, cell rates from the ship are close to $3.00 per minute and those are the rates you'd be paying with your air card.

Blue skies,

--rita

The air card uses cell phone service, not WiFi so it's not through the Internet. As Rita says, it's very expensive to use the ship's cell phone service plus you could be charged a roaming and/or international call fee per minute on top of that. You are better off connecting to the ship's WiFi system using your laptop as it's far more reasonable. Beware using it in your cabin; if you have any kind of a problem, the Internet people will slam you for doing so and refuse to assist you. At least that was my experience on the Amsterdam when I innocently went to the Internet person with a question. He made it clear that even though it's available in your cabin, neither he nor anyone else was going to assist or support you.

I bring my laptop and have found the internet manager and the Neptune concierge very helpful when I have had problems. I had a problem with outgoing mail on Outlook Express and the IM on Ryndam changed the settings and was very cheerful about it.

Gary

I had a problem with outgoing mail on Outlook Express ...
Just in case you forget that outgoing SMTP server address next time and there's no one around to help, it's at the bottom of the back page of the hand-out sheet about using your laptop on board. :)

Archived