Trays and Plates???

CruzzyToozy

So the trays are or are notput through the dishwasher. Where do you put your dishes? On your sterile:confused: lap, or on the table? They don't put the tables through a 'tablewasher'.:D

A local TV channel puts up restaurant health department scores and interviews the managers when they can. You can't tell a clean restaurant from a filthy one without going into the kitchen. Some fastfood chains have perfect scores in most locations, and other locations that are shut down temporarily! The same goes for well know fancier dining venues.

Cruise ships are more sterile than our kitchen and probably more sterile than yours.:cool:

I witnessed a major battle over trays last November on the Maasdam. Four ladies sat down at a table for four and proceeded to unload their trays and one lady placed the trays on the table (for 4) behind her occupied by a couple. The gentleman took exception to her actions and told her so. It was his table and he told her so. There was a heated discussion. The end result was the lady moved the trays to the servers station. It was a real scene.

IMHO the elimination of trays in the Lido will greatly reduce the amount of clutter at the tables. The trays seemed to facilitate a mountain of minimally used dishes and in many cases the trays get unloaded and placed on nearby table.

I suspect the main reason for eliminating the trays is the spread of germs. Most people prefer a window table in the Lido. I've seen it countless times where people will move the used trays and their contents to a neighboring table just to get the window table. This table has not been properly cleaned and they have just handled a tray that someone else has recently handled. Next thing they are doing is buttering their toast.

Those same persons would never get involved with actually handling the used dishes although they are very careless with the trays. :mad:

I work in health care and I assure you battling germs is a way of life for me.

I sometimes wonder though ,how we survive at all

.I just read an interesting article on the how germ ladened.the bottom of a women's handbag can be. When you think of it ladies, all the places those lovelly accessories get placed. The floor of the washroom cubicle, then under the table of the restaurant , the grocery cart, the counters of stores ,then home we go and plunk them on our kitchen counter.

Lido trays sound positively pristine by comparison.LOL

I work in health care and I assure you battling germs is a way of life for me.

I sometimes wonder though ,how we survive at all

.I just read an interesting article on the how germ ladened.the bottom of a women's handbag can be. When you think of it ladies, all the places those lovelly accessories get placed. The floor of the washroom cubicle, then under the table of the restaurant , the grocery cart, the counters of stores ,then home we go and plunk them on our kitchen counter.

Lido trays sound positively pristine by comparison.LOL

I agree with you. That is one reason I never place my purse on my counter or anyone elses. That is just plain nasty.

There have been numerous FYI pieces about the filth on the bottom of pocketbooks on TV. It's really very ugly. :eek:

How many ladies put those dirty purses on Lido tables? :(

Who carries a purse on a cruise ship?????

Guilty:) That would be me I guess. I carry an evening bag on formal nights, a small purse other nights to dinner and a large tote purse on excursions. I love my purses:D oh shoes too.

:) I do. I am never without a small purse.

I put away the big one I travel with and use a smaller purse around the ship and when we go ashore. No one really cares for me to list what it is I feel obliged to carry with me, I am sure. :D

I posted my opinion on different threads--I dont know why we have to "get along without trays"" we are on vacation, not in a high school cafeteria--I find it offensive--unless they really do have staff to serve drinks--which i dont think they do

I posted my opinion on different threads--I dont know why we have to "get along without trays"" we are on vacation, not in a high school cafeteria--I find it offensive--unless they really do have staff to serve drinks--which i dont think they do

U have brought us back to the real issue - the availability of trays in the Lido!

I agree with u but we will have to get used to the new 'deal' so to speak because HAL has eliminated them for their reasons not the ones we might suggest and they aren't likely to reappear any time soon... :(

Have happy cruises all & lots of 'em.. :)

The bottom line is - HAL is doing what is best for them. I will do what is best for us - and that is bringing, and using a tray. I refuse to go through that line several times to bring food first to DH and then for myself. I don't see that we should have to give up the variety of choice in the Lido for the dining room because HAL has removed the trays.

The bottom line is - HAL is doing what is best for them. I will do what is best for us - and that is bringing, and using a tray. I refuse to go through that line several times to bring food first to DH and then for myself. I don't see that we should have to give up the variety of choice in the Lido for the dining room because HAL has removed the trays.

That's the spirit! Good for you.

We're bringing a tray too, primarily to bring coffee and pastries for two back to the cabin early in the morning. We're not sure we'll be using it for lunch, because we usually aren't coming directly from the cabin when we go to lunch. TBD!

We're bringing a tray too, primarily to bring coffee and pastries for two back to the cabin early in the morning. We're not sure we'll be using it for lunch, because we usually aren't coming directly from the cabin when we go to lunch. TBD!

Why don't you just order room service?

As for women's handbags being on the floor, I solved that problem. I ordered from QVC "hold it high no slip handbag holders" You put the non slip disc onto any surface and then there is a hook to hang your bag up to 10lbs. I have used them and they work.:) As for the trays I've decided we will order room service, much simpler and comfortable in your own suite.:)

Why don't you just order room service?
Because I don't know the night before when I'll wake up, and when I do I prefer to go to the Lido, pick out what I want, prepare my coffee the way I want, etc, etc. And I don't have to wait.

I was just gonna ask the same thing. I might carry around that HAL canvas bag if I've got something like my Kindle or some writing work with me, but my purse gets locked up in the safe while I'm onboard. I would never be carrying it around.

Blue skies ...

--rita

I was just gonna ask the same thing. I might carry around that HAL canvas bag if I've got something like my Kindle or some writing work with me, but my purse gets locked up in the safe while I'm onboard. I would never be carrying it around.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Well I do not even bring any of my purses when I travel or going on a cruise. I have a leather fanny pack I use while flying and in ports that I often use as a should bag rather than wearing around my waist but when at an air port and needing as many hands as possible I wear it. Other wise the fanny pack gets locked up in our cabin on the ship and I depend on Tom who has our cabin card or I place mine in a pocket. But like you Rita the only think I mihgt be seen carrying would be a HAL canvas bag. I do not even bring an evening bag for formal nights I have several of them but feel it is just something for me to lay down and forget somewhere :D

• 1 month later...

I did a search on this board, and was amazed at the number of threads dealing with the disappearance of trays in the Lido buffet. My last cruise was over a year ago, so I was unaware this had happened. My next cruise is coming up next month (Volendam- Seattle to Hong Kong). I'm puzzled......

Say you are eating breakfast in the Lido, you choose a small bowl of fruit, cereal, juice, eggs and bacon and coffee. There's no way you are carrying fewer than five items: a plate, 2 bowls, a cup and a glass. Now, I don't juggle, so can't imagine handling that without a tray. So I have to make multiple trips. I don't usually do breakfast in "Courses" but that's what it would have to be.

Or, at lunch, handling a cup of soup and a salad plate and a beverage. Two trips? I can see going back for dessert or a drink refill, but to have my soup get cold while I wait in line for a sandwich or make a salad. ??? Or do I eat the sandwich, then get the soup?

Sounds like the old story about carrying the goose and the fox and the bag of corn across the river when the boat only holds two of them at a time. Which to you leave while you return for the rest of the meal? I guess one learns to eat lunch in "courses'', too.

There were some discussions about people bringing their own trays, small plastic ones that one would pack in their luggage. Someone said it was not allowed to bring these into the Lido? Is this correct?

Well, well. Now there is something new to think through in packing for a cruise. Trays now join the duct tape, bungee cords, over the door shoe rack, and room deodorizer that one MUST take along!

I seem to remember that the plates in the Lido were so large that I could place a couple of small bowls, a sweet roll and an entree on them and not having a tray was not a problem.

On a HAL ship??? :confused: That's not my experience. My last cruise was in February, on a ship without trays, and with the same old dinner-size plates as always.

Nor have I read any reports on this board to the effect that HAL now has the platter size plates as standard in the Lido. Princess does.

Archived