DSLR Newb - Need advice

Hello all. Complete newb here, so be gentle.

In the next few months I will be purchasing my first DLSR. I have been thinking about getting one for a couple of years now and with a trip planned to Alaska next year, I am finally going to pull the trigger.

As of right now I am probably going to get the Nikon D90. I am also considering Canon's 40D and the 450D. But i keep ending up back at the D90.

If I do end up with the D90, I would like some advice on lenses. How does the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR compare with the 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 ED-IF VR? I imagine the extra reach of the 300 would be nice, but would I be better off just using the 200 and cropping? I will be shooting mostly wildlife and landscapes.

I can get the D90 with the 18-105 kit lens along with the 70-300 for around $1700. Or I can get the D90 body and 18-200 for around $1650.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Buy the best glass you can afford.

Lenses will outlast the camera body, you will want to upgrade the body before the lenses.

Get the best lens for your everyday style of photography and rent lenses when you need something special.

Generally speaking the shorter the zoom range the better the lens will be. The 70-300 will be better optically than the 18-200, but the 18-200 is more versatile.

http://www.lensrental.com

http://www.fredmiranda.com

Couple of websites that might be of interest.

Hope this helps,

Fred

I would do the 2-lenses. You'll cover more range and have better image quality overall. 18-105 is a great "walkaround" range, you'll have that on your D90 most of the time. I have the 70-300VR. It's a great lens, a bit bulkier, but still ok for handheld shots. For wildlife photography, you'll need the reach of the 300mm at a minimum. You'll still be cropping at 300mm. Good luck.

Hello all. Complete newb here, so be gentle.

In the next few months I will be purchasing my first DLSR. I have been thinking about getting one for a couple of years now and with a trip planned to Alaska next year, I am finally going to pull the trigger.

As of right now I am probably going to get the Nikon D90. I am also considering Canon's 40D and the 450D. But i keep ending up back at the D90.

If I do end up with the D90, I would like some advice on lenses. How does the 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 ED-IF AF-S VR compare with the 18-200 f/3.5-5.6 ED-IF VR? I imagine the extra reach of the 300 would be nice, but would I be better off just using the 200 and cropping? I will be shooting mostly wildlife and landscapes.

I can get the D90 with the 18-105 kit lens along with the 70-300 for around $1700. Or I can get the D90 body and 18-200 for around $1650.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

70-300 VR is a great lense for the price! On a DX camera like D90 it has similar field of view as ~ 450mm on 35mm film or FX camera. If you shot wildlife and don't mind the its slightly large heft this is a good lens. You will need a second lens for landscape and general shooting.

The 18-200 VR is one of the better superzooms out there, but pricey. Its like your all in one pocket knife. On my old D300 it was on my camera 90% of the time though the quality was slight worst then my 16-85 or 70-300 VRs. You simply couldn't beat the versatility of the lense. The lense is loved and hated and its IQ is debated in many forums. I took over 1000 pictures on my last European cruise with this lens and blew up more then 5 to 11x20, had no IQ complaints actually lots of compliments. The image quality was pretty good even blown up. I'm a firm believer in buying what you need and not over analyzing or overspending for performance you will never notice. Not dishing the 70-300 its was a great lense. Buy the glass you need and will use ;)

If your style is one do all and only occationsionaly blow up to 8x10 then the 18-200 might be the choice. Sigma offers a 18-250 and Tamron offers a 18-270 that give Nikon a run for the money for a bit cheaper. Their build/feel is a bit cheaper but optically a toss up, maybe better at some focal lengths. BTW the 18-105 kitted to the D90 is a screaming deal IQ/price but range is limited if you are going to shoot wildlfie. For Alaska you'll want wide for ship/landscap 18-24mm for wildlife 200-300mm so likely you'll want two lense or the Tammy or Sigma for more reach :D

Happy shopping.

Bill - I have a D40 (bought in 07) and although I know I have not outgrown it at all I am now thinking about buying myself a D90 with money that my colleagues presented me with on my retirement this month.

I will keep my D40 - I bought the 18-200VR lens last year - wish I had bought it before my Alaskan trip as I was concerned abt changing lenses (D40 no dust protection)

I keep the 18-200 on my DLSR all the time - am still thinking abt a prime lens!!!!!

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Does anyone think there will be a price reduction on the D90 by Christmas? That will still give me 6 months to learn and practice with it before the Alaska trip.

Thanks.

Bill

I'm shooting Sony, so the availability of lenses will be somewhat different.

I use the 18-70 as the default. I might prefer an 18-105, but it's not that critical, as I don't find myself swapping lenses to get in the 90-100 range very often.

I carry the 75-300, and swap it in fairly frequently.

What I missed:

I really needed a 10mm or smaller lens. I was cruising the Fjords and could have shot a lot using one of these. Instead, I had to rely on "Autostitch" to glue together multiple shots.

I would have liked to have had a 50mm for carrying around the ship. It makes the camera so much less bulky when wandering around indoors.

I have a D200 (waiting patiently for the new product announcements expected soon) and the 18-200mm lens. This is a great lens for travelling light, I take it and my 10.5mm.

I have read reviews of the 70-300mm that suggest it's optical quality falls off past 200mm, but I have no personal experience with that lens. My feeling is if I shoot at maximum resolution (which I do all the time) that I can afford to crop to the same size image as I would get with 300mm focal length with minimal loss of image quality. I am willing to make that sacrifice for the convenience of not having to change lenses.

I figure every time I change the lens there is an increased opportunity for dust to enter the sensor chamber. There is also the possibility of dropping a lens. I would hate to miss a shot because I was fumbling with lenses.

My $.02.

Bodger

I'm shooting Sony, so the availability of lenses will be somewhat different.

I use the 18-70 as the default. I might prefer an 18-105, but it's not that critical, as I don't find myself swapping lenses to get in the 90-100 range very often.

I carry the 75-300, and swap it in fairly frequently.

What I missed:

I really needed a 10mm or smaller lens. I was cruising the Fjords and could have shot a lot using one of these. Instead, I had to rely on "Autostitch" to glue together multiple shots.

I would have liked to have had a 50mm for carrying around the ship. It makes the camera so much less bulky when wandering around indoors.

Sony shooter, huh?

Good for you!

BTW, I have the Sony 11-18 and am pleased with it. I will be looking at the new Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 HSM when it hits the street and Sony is supposed to be working on a 10-24 to replace the 11-18. I guess we'll see.

Dave

I went from a Canon S5is to the D90 in April. I got it with the 18-105vr and the 55-200vr. After the some prelim shots with the 55-200 I returned it and got the 70-300vr which I like a lot. Nothing really wrong with the 55-200, it just didn't do what I wanted. I recently bought a Sigma 10-20mm that's a lot of fun.

Other than the fact that I absolutely busted my toy budget :eek: , I am very pleased with the whole setup. ;)

I agree with everyone about getting the best lens you can afford! I purchased the D90 this spring with the kit lens. Got it at B&H for $1095. (Be wary of many internet sellers that offer prices too good to be true). I then got the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. I really like that lens but it may not be long enough for your needs. I would really recommend visiting KenRockwell.com he reviews most everything you can immagine. He has some very nice things to say bout your D40. Maybe enough to convince you to keep it and just buy new lenses.... I love my 90, and know that I have not begun to use all of its features. Lessons are also a great idea. I have taken over 6000 pictures since April, that 4.5 frames/sec can mean a lot of pictures to review :) A couple have come out ok....

Visit Ken's site before you buy it will ge a huge help on any camera you buy.

I agree with everyone about getting the best lens you can afford! I purchased the D90 this spring with the kit lens. Got it at B&H for $1095. (Be wary of many internet sellers that offer prices too good to be true). I then got the Tamron 70-200 f2.8. I really like that lens but it may not be long enough for your needs. I would really recommend visiting KenRockwell.com he reviews most everything you can immagine. He has some very nice things to say bout your D40. Maybe enough to convince you to keep it and just buy new lenses.... I love my 90, and know that I have not begun to use all of its features. Lessons are also a great idea. I have taken over 6000 pictures since April, that 4.5 frames/sec can mean a lot of pictures to review :) A couple have come out ok....

Visit Ken's site before you buy it will ge a huge help on any camera you buy.

Always read Ken with a grain of salt. He likes to go overboard on everything but in his posts there are many a nuggets :D

Always read Ken with a grain of salt. He likes to go overboard on everything but in his posts there are many a nuggets :D
Agree here. Ken is a lot of controversial dribble to generate buzz intermingled with extremely sound and practical photography advice.

50D, D90, etc. They are all really great products. There is some good advice about investing in quality glass because cheap glass on an expensive camera still yields bad results while good glass on a cheaper body looks better. What ever you decide, make some time to go to your local camera store and do some hands on testing. See what feels best in your own hands. Each camera has its own quirks and feel. That feel is an important part of your decison.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Does anyone think there will be a price reduction on the D90 by Christmas? That will still give me 6 months to learn and practice with it before the Alaska trip.

Thanks.

Bill

I would add that prices probably will go down between now & the holidays, but I would not delay too long (maybe Sept or so to purchase) & start getting familiar with the camera & lens combo...the longer you wait, the longer you could have had to get familiar with it!!:p

I don't know if they still have the package, but for Christmas this last year I bought the D90 at Costco and it came with a 18 -55 VR lens as well as the 55 - 200 VR lens. I haven't had time to learn everything about the camera yet, but it take GREAT pictures from what little I have done, not to mention some very nice video.

good luck

Scott

• 3 weeks later...

Not only did I get great wildlife pictures, but when our ship cruised the Fjords, there were so many icebergs in the water, we did no get that close to the glacier as it calved. Thanks to my 70-300, I have great calving pictures even though we couldn't see it that well from the front of the ship.

Archived