Kindle on a Cruise

misty57

Barnes and Noble now has an ereader that works with the Iphone and Blackberry. I think it is free to download but didn't really look at it that close since I don't use either of those phones. I had a reader on my Palm Treo phone but it was just a pain.

I'm going to try this. Thanks for the advice.

I have an iPod Touch and got the Kindle application first and love it. No, it's not hard to read. The last upgrade they added landscape view, a white font on a black page (instead of just a black font on a white page) and sepia which is kind of brownish.

Then from reading these threads (there's a couple about Kindles) I found out about Sony eReader, and iTunes has a free application for that too. I like the eReader because you can highlight text; add notes; change the font, line spacing, margins, and justification; and has dictionary support. The best thing is the auto-scroll so you don't even have to turn the pages (or you can turn pages by swiping or tapping, just like the Kindle application).

I like both since I can read in bed without a light so I don't disturb DH while he's sleeping. I'm not sure which I like better since I just got eReader. But since the apps are free, just get both and try them (both have several free books), and then see if you want to spend $$ on a Kindle.

Barnes and Noble now has an ereader that works with the Iphone and Blackberry. I think it is free to download but didn't really look at it that close since I don't use either of those phones. I had a reader on my Palm Treo phone but it was just a pain.

I glanced through it but as I saw it wasn't compatable with my Sony I didn't spend a lot of time going over it.

I've only had my Kindle since my birthday in May, and I haven't taken it on a cruise, but I can share this information:

We just went on a trip to some very remote areas of the American Southwest, and we didn't have phone or internet service in some locations. In these places, I found I was unable to access the Kindle Store, BUT I had no problem reading the books I'd already downloaded -- these are "in" my own Kindle, not out in cyber-land. I'd imagine that on a cruise you might be unable to purchase new books, but you'd be able to access your entire already-purchased Kindle reading library in the middle of the ocean.

I have downloaded a good number of free novels. I'm finding that a number of new, unestablished authors put ONE BOOK out there for free . . . in hopes that you'll be willing to pay for more. You have to check every couple weeks to see what's out there.

I have been disappointed that EVERYTHING isn't available on Kindle. I wanted to purchase electronic copies of some of my favorites, but I've found that they aren't available. I suspect this'll change in the future.

I love that I can "borrow" one chapter of a book before buying it. Sometimes a first-chapter really isn't what I'd expected, and I don't buy the book itself.

I prefer to buy books from the computer. It's easier to see them in color, to sort through them, to read reviews, etc. You buy them from Amazon.com and the next time you turn on your Kindle, they "appear". You can also view your Amazon account on the computer. You can see all the books you bought and when you bought them.

In addition to books, you can archive documents on your Kindle (email them to yourself at Kindle @ .10 each), and they're stored there forever. Before our next cruise I'm going to email scans of our passports /other IDs to my Kindle. It'll be one more place to keep these documents handy, yet no one else would ever think to look there.

You should always keep the wireless service turned OFF (obviously except when you're purchasing new books) because it really drains the battery. When I first started using my Kindle, I was amazed that the battery only lasted two days -- then I turned off the wireless, and it now it lasts two weeks between charages, even with heavy use! For a one-week cruise, I'd make sure I left home with a full charge, then I wouldn't even bring along my charging cable.

I'm not really saving money with my Kindle, but I still love it. I have books, books, books all over my house -- storage is really a problem -- and I love that my newest aquisitions aren't taking up any bookshelf space! I also love that I can take SO MANY books on vacation in less than the space of one magazine.

Finally, when you get a Kindle, be sure to buy a protective cover right away. This expensive gadget needs to be cared for carefully. Recently on vacation, I took along a plain ziplock bag and popped the Kindle inside it for pool-side reading. The kids will come up and talk to me and splash me without meaning to do so, and protecting the Kindle means I don't have to tell them to be careful or yell at them later.

Bad news for me: Now both of my daughters are begging for their own Kindles for Christmas.

I was just talking to my sister who got a Kindle for her birthday last month. She is a big library user like me so I was interested in how she liked the Kindle and was handling buying books for Kindle vs. free library books.

She said that she loved her Kindle. Because she, like me, reads so fast - she is still getting books from library but also using the Kindle for free books or books with lots of pages. If money was no object - she would put everything on Kindle but for books that she can wait for - the library still works. She says it is easier to read on Kindle -great for laying on side in bed.

I think I'm talking myself into buying one - and still use library for books not worth buying and doing using free books on Kindle and buying some. It'll be wonderful for our 10 day cruise in Dec - no books to weigh down my luggage.

Mary

I didn't think I would keep the Sony but now that I am walking around the house with 6 'books' in my hand.... it's sweet. ;) I do still worry about the library books though, go through those fast so I am hoping our library's download will be compatible. Their web site is a bit confusing.

Help me out here. I am missing something I suppose. You buy the Kindle for $350 or so. Then you have to buy the books to download. I can buy a lot of books for that amount of money. What is the appeal of this device? Not trying to start a fight, I just don't see it. I never leave home without my Iphone and that is just about a tech as you can get. So I am not afraid to technology, just curious.

You can get the Kindle app for the I phone and use your I Phone for your reader and don't have to have a seperate reader. But you can only read books on the I Phone and not magazines or newspapers. Oh and the app is free.

I was just talking to my sister who got a Kindle for her birthday last month. She is a big library user like me so I was interested in how she liked the Kindle and was handling buying books for Kindle vs. free library books.

She said that she loved her Kindle. Because she, like me, reads so fast - she is still getting books from library but also using the Kindle for free books or books with lots of pages. If money was no object - she would put everything on Kindle but for books that she can wait for - the library still works. She says it is easier to read on Kindle -great for laying on side in bed.

Mary

This is just what I do too!! I stopped buying most of my books years ago because I just read too much - it would be cost prohibitive. I still go to the library for most books. However, there are books that I liked so much that I reread and still have too many filling up my space. Now with the Kindle, I can archive all those that I want to redo. It also is good to have, because I am never caught "bookless" now!:D You know - up late and don't want to go out - PERFECT!!! I think it is perfect for travel. (My screen name isn't Wormy for nothing!! An old roommate called me that and it just kind of stuck):D:D

Archived