Kindle on a Cruise

misty57

Does anyone know how the Sony compares to the Kindle price wise and ease of use?

I was looking at the specifications for the Kindle 2 and it looks like you can't replace the battery, but you have to purchase a plan and then it covers part of that.

Oh that's another question I had.. does the Kindle light up so you can read in low light or do you have to have a reading light?

I had the Sony and switched to the Kindle. I much prefer the ease of downloading books wirelessly on the Kindle, rather than having to download onto a PC. I find the battery life to be longer on the Kindle. Books are cheaper from Amazon and they have more titles available.

Neither ebook lights up.

I have the Kindle App downloaded on my iPod Touch and absolutely loved using it on a vacation in May. Didn't have to worry about carrying extra weight in my checked luggage or carry-on.

I also have the Kindle App on my iPod Touch and I love it. For a free app it is great. I downloaded some of the free books on Amazon to get started and have quite a collection waiting to be read. I always carried a book with me wherever I went. The iPod touch eliminates that and many other things that I used to carry. :rolleyes: I will definitely take it on our next cruise.

Do you have to keep your entire library on the Kindle or are your books also stored somewhere else?

You will have an account with Amazon and yes you can store the books there and re-down load again any time. You would still need internet access or whispernet so store what you want to read on your trip on the Kindle itself.

I've been thinking about a Kindle for several months. Thinking and thinking. Thanks so much for this discussion. I intend to purchase one fairly soon.

I don't understand the need for a book light. Is that for reading in low light situations as on planes?

I've been thinking about a Kindle for several months. Thinking and thinking. Thanks so much for this discussion. I intend to purchase one fairly soon.

I don't understand the need for a book light. Is that for reading in low light situations as on planes?

That's exactly what it's for. I'm not sure about the Kindle but the Sony Reader would need a light just like a regular book. With the Sony, you can attach a clip-on book light or purchase a cover with a built in light. It's pricey but worth it if you read at night and don't want to disturb anyone.

I just ordered the Kindle 2 from Amazon. I was going back and forth between the Kindle 2 and the DX, but realized the Kindle 2 would fit in my purse and the DX is too big. Since I want the Kindle mainly for traveling, smaller was better.

I had 5 hardcover books from my local library packed for my Alaksa cruise. A couple of weeks prior to leaving, I was on a business trip with 4 airline legs - and on 3 of the 4 trips I saw someone reading on a Kindle. I knew what it was and I understood how it worked, but frankly, I tend to be a cheapskate and couldn't see paying for the device & books that I could obtain for free from my library. I also hadn't realized how much this device had caught on...

Came home & weighed my books - 8.5 lbs. Yowza. Hmmm.... although a self-professed cheapskate, I do so love technology. So I took the plunge & ordered the Kindle, which arrived in 2 days. I downloaded my 5 books (returning the "real" ones to the library) and haven't looked back for a second.

I travel sporadically for business and can't help but think back to a series of airline flights I made last fall, 19 of them in a 6 week period. I read Warren Buffet's biography - all 900 pages of it - during those trips. Lugging that book with me in my carry-on was a literal pain. I reflect on that and think how much more pleasant it would have been to read that book on my Kindle.

I find that I read much faster on the Kindle - not sure why; I surmise that it is the text size, which is easily adjustable to suit the reader's preference.

Although the new Kindle DX was available when I bought my Kindle 2, I opted for the "2" because it is slightly smaller and lighter - as well as a bit less expensive.

Amazon has a ton of Kindle content and is adding more all the time.

The Kindle is a wonderful device - think of how much easier it will be to lug your bag through the airport on your way to your cruise when it is 8.5 lbs lighter! :)

I'm leaning toward the Kindle 2, but am listening to ideas about the DX. My IPod is dying so I'm seriously shopping now and dearly appreciate the info here.

I do not travel with real books. Just won't allow myself that much weight for a passtime. I'm bored with my IPod and really don't want another.

Thanks for all the great information, I have been looking at the Kindle also, the Sony not so much since I didn't even know it was available until recently. Keep all the info coming, trying to make a decision on which to get. (will have to wait until DH gets the his new TV so he won't fuss. ;))

Help me out here. I am missing something I suppose. You buy the Kindle for $350 or so. Then you have to buy the books to download. I can buy a lot of books for that amount of money. What is the appeal of this device? Not trying to start a fight, I just don't see it. I never leave home without my Iphone and that is just about a tech as you can get. So I am not afraid to technology, just curious.

I've been dropping hints for a Kindle for my birthday or Christmas. The biggest advantage, for me, would be not having to carry books along with me. I typically read 3 books on a 10 day cruise, so not having to cart books would be helpful. I always buy books, so I'd probably save a bit by downloading them. But my major benefit would be not having to physically bring the individual books with me. Luggage space is precious these days...

Jo-Ann

One of the perks for me will also be less clutter in my house. I literally have no extra shelf space for anything but my favorite books that I will not part with. I am having a huge garage sale to get rid of the rest of them. I also think reading a sample before purchasing a book will be a savings. I have several books that I purchased because I liked other books by the same author but didn't end up getting into the subsequent ones.

One of the perks for me will also be less clutter in my house. I literally have no extra shelf space for anything but my favorite books that I will not part with. I am having a huge garage sale to get rid of the rest of them. I also think reading a sample before purchasing a book will be a savings. I have several books that I purchased because I liked other books by the same author but didn't end up getting into the subsequent ones.

You are so right!! I LOVE my Kindle!! There are lots of books in my house that I will never get rid of, but I have been on a big "down-sizing" kick for the past several years. Lots of books have gone to various charities (can't stand to do the garage sale thing!). It is wonderful that Amazon now stores all my "stuff"!!!!! I reread books that I love - so that option is perfect! And think of the environmental impact once we all read on our Kindle's. (The trees are thanking us!!!)

I too add my vote as someone who loves my Kindle!!! If you are thinking about buying one - do it. You will not be unhappy. As far as the Kindle 2 or Kindle DX, I strongly suggest the Kindle 2 if you will be mostly reading books. The form factor is much easier to carry and work one handed.

My DH got the Sony for Christmas and he LOVES it. He travels so much and catches up on all his reading during his flights and in the evening if he's sitting in a hotel. I'll have to get him on this board and tell you all about it. I did notice that there are 2 "SD" cards on the Sony - don't know what they are for - maybe storing books to be downloaded later???

Me? I'm low tech! I prefer to actually have the book in hand - I can't justify buying a Kindle or Sony for me as I wouldn't get as much use out of them.

I'll get DH on here soon to tell you all about his Sony.

My DH got the Sony for Christmas and he LOVES it. He travels so much and catches up on all his reading during his flights and in the evening if he's sitting in a hotel. I'll have to get him on this board and tell you all about it. I did notice that there are 2 "SD" cards on the Sony - don't know what they are for - maybe storing books to be downloaded later???

Me? I'm low tech! I prefer to actually have the book in hand - I can't justify buying a Kindle or Sony for me as I wouldn't get as much use out of them.

If you mean the two whitish ones that came with the book............. they're blanks. They're just filling the space however real cards can be used if you want/need additional memory. I don't remember how much memory the Sony has, but I've never exceeded it and I generally carry at least a couple of dozen books on it.

I've been reading electronically since the mid 90's when RCA came out with the EBook. When that went away, I used an HP IPaq (very small screen) and was thrilled when the Sony Reader hit the market. Whether you use the Sony or the Kindle, the benefits of electronic reading are many....... One of the newest benefits for me is that it's so much easier on my arthritic hands. I can't hold most hardcover books anymore and even the lighter paperbacks become a strain after awhile.

Whichever you choose................... Enjoy!

I am looking closely now at the Sony 700 (yeah a few hours ago I knew nothing, can you tell how I spent my afternoon at work? :D) One of the other benefits is that nobody knows if you are reading a trashy novel.

Can't wait!

How many paperbacks can I buy (at WalMart-$5.99) for cost of a Kindle????? Can I use a Kindle reading on my side in bed???

You could buy a heck of a lot books at K-mart for the price of a Kindle. However, yes you can read a Kindle lying on your side in bed. It also is easier to read as you get older because you can make the print bigger. I have a lot of paper backs pre-Kindle and I was going to read one a second time and found out it was difficult to read. The Kindle also is easier to turn pages and save your place. I never would have thought I would like it so much.

For years, I've carried a book in my pocketbook. When I read hardcover or paperback books, I could only carry one at a time and if I finished the book I was reading, that was it until I got back home and could get another. With my Sony, I always have something to read. When I finish a book, there's always another waiting for me.

What's better than that?

You could buy a heck of a lot books at K-mart for the price of a Kindle. However, yes you can read a Kindle lying on your side in bed. It also is easier to read as you get older because you can make the print bigger. I have a lot of paper backs pre-Kindle and I was going to read one a second time and found out it was difficult to read. The Kindle also is easier to turn pages and save your place. I never would have thought I would like it so much.

I have to agree with you. Never thought I would like the Kindle as much as I do. Much easier and faster, for some reason, for me to read. Even DH likes it for his newspapers and such.

Archived