Kindle on a Cruise

misty57

It's true that you can only use the Whispernet to download content directly to your Kindle within the limits of Sprint's network. However, as long as you have the right cable and access to the web, you can download directly from your Amazon account to your Kindle anywhere. You just have to be willing to pay for the access minutes while on the ship's computer system.

It's true that you can only use the Whispernet to download content directly to your Kindle within the limits of Sprint's network. However, as long as you have the right cable and access to the web, you can download directly from your Amazon account to your Kindle anywhere. You just have to be willing to pay for the access minutes while on the ship's computer system.

Wouldn't you need USB cable for that? Ships computers don't have USB ports on the CPU.

Interesting discussion, I read a lot & have been considering a kindle. Usually I buy a book to bring along before any trip. Last cruise I didn't, too short on time & decided not to re-read one of my favorites, I was trying to cut down as much as possible on what I pack.

I ended up browsing the ship's library for 2 books during the cruise. Neither one was what I would have picked if I could have picked anything, but I enjoyed both. I found Marked and then a "romance" novel someone with a great sense of humor must have donated to the library - High Seas Stowaway with the requisite bodice ripper cover. Storyline significantly better than I expected. Something to be said for taking pot luck in the library, kind of like turning on the radio to hear what's on.

For those who have purchased a Kindle, does the charger come with it? Also, if you purchased a cover for it ( I know the Kindle 1 came with one)

which one did you buy and what do you like/ dislike about it?

For those who have purchased a Kindle, does the charger come with it? Also, if you purchased a cover for it ( I know the Kindle 1 came with one)

which one did you buy and what do you like/ dislike about it?

Yes, it comes with a charger which also has a USB if you need to plug it into your computer. I got the M-Edge Prodigy hinge Jacket leather cover for it and love it. It folds back easily and keeps your Kindle safe. I am very happy with the Kindle :)

Thanks!

I have a week and a half before I can order my Kindle. I'm selling my books on a garage sale so that will go toward the cost :) :D

Well, you just got lucky because I see the price dropped since I bought mine a few months ago! Not sure when it happened, but now it's $299, down from about $350. (whoops! totally beaten in the time I took to make some dinner! that's what you get for starting a post and not finishing it!)

That's like getting free books!

Also, if you have a kindle, you should be checking out http://feedbooks.com/ Free books! You will have to download them yourself to your computer and load them onto your Kindle, but they have both old stuff and creative commons released new stuff.

Amazon also has some free books, if you look here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42973 the first post in the thread has a list of books that are currently free or really cheap.

I like free. :)

And love my Kindle!

Well I may just wait and order it when I was planning to. It really doesn't make that much difference but psychologically it looks better on my CC balance to wait until the next cycle!:rolleyes: I hope it isn't back ordered by then as people see the price drop.

Well, you just got lucky because I see the price dropped since I bought mine a few months ago! Not sure when it happened, but now it's $299, down from about $350. (whoops! totally beaten in the time I took to make some dinner! that's what you get for starting a post and not finishing it!)

That's like getting free books!

Also, if you have a kindle, you should be checking out http://feedbooks.com/ Free books! You will have to download them yourself to your computer and load them onto your Kindle, but they have both old stuff and creative commons released new stuff.

Amazon also has some free books, if you look here: http://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42973 the first post in the thread has a list of books that are currently free or really cheap.

I like free. :)

And love my Kindle!

I like free too!! Thanks:)

If you go through a lot of books, then it would pay for itself. Kindle/Sony books are usually cheaper than the hard covers when the come out. Also, if you're into classics, Dickens, Austin, Bronte, Twain, Dumas etc.... they're all free. So you could be reading Robinson Crusoe, The Count of Monte Cristo, Moby Dick, Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice all for free. Sony teamed up with Google a little while back and Google has a 500,000 title bookstore, all free of the classics. Amazon has less than that but still a significant amount. There's also specials all the time. I got an e:mail last night to download Secrets of the Ya Ya Sisterhood for free through July. Other specials to buy the new Jeffrey Deaver book and get a code to download one of his other books for free. Harlequin was giving away 15 books in Feb. There's tons of free stuff or under $2.00 out there.

After owning my Sony for a year, there's no way I could ever go back to Paperback. I have 130 books (unread) on my reader and about another 100 on my computer waiting be loaded. I'd say half of whats on my reader and all 100 on the computer were free. I"m not sure when I'll get to War and Peace ;) but I got it for free and it's on my computer waiting to be loaded. :)

I have the Kindle app on my iPod Touch. I love free books - Did you get the email from Amazon or the publisher or ?

I have the Kindle app on my iPod Touch. I love free books - Did you get the email from Amazon or the publisher or ?

I have the Sony, they send an e:mail out every Tuesday announcing the new books and the freebies. I read though that Divine Secrets wasn't free for the Kindle...sorry. Keep an eye out though, they usually offer similar freebies.

I have the Sony, they send an e:mail out every Tuesday announcing the new books and the freebies. I read though that Divine Secrets wasn't free for the Kindle...sorry. Keep an eye out though, they usually offer similar freebies.

No problem-o, thanks! ;)

I saw the price drop also but it did not say which Kindle, I guess it is 2 and not DX? I wonder if Sony will drop the price on their 700 as that is what I really want.

Hold off if you want the 700. Rumour is Sony will have a new model late August with wireless :)

I saw the price drop also but it did not say which Kindle, I guess it is 2 and not DX? I wonder if Sony will drop the price on their 700 as that is what I really want.

When I upgraded my 500 to the 505, I intended to get the 700. Two sales people at the Sony store talked me out of it! I love the 505. It resolved the issues the 500 had & the cover with the light (not included) is great.

the classics were all free with the sony -- new books are about 6-8 less in price by downloading; then you don't have to worry about storing them all, pages turning yellow. i have downloaded quite a few of the classics --war & peace, tale of two cities, quite a few dickens and shakespeare as well; also of course jane austen -- had to read some in school and hated them but now would love them; i've downloaded about 12 books for my upcoming cruise next week -- i had to read 2 of them already (1/4 of the way through the 2d one); but i promise not to read the rest until in the car on drive down to baltimore....i didn't ask for the sony reader but my hubby got it for me at xmas as im always reading -- it all depends on individual as to what features they like, amount they want to spend; also i've gotten quite a few books on clearance for $1.99 -- older books but ones i never read.:):):)

Phoenix, what reasons did the Sony store give for not wanting you to buy the 700? I'm not really that interested in the wireless feature, not sure when I would use it but I did like the bigger screen on the 700.

I have a head like a sieve but I do recall they said it was not as clear as the 505 & there was something about the touch screen & the built in light but I don't remember what.

All I can say is I was all set to trade my 500 for the 700 & after a 15 or 20 minute conversation, I bought the 505 & the cover with the light instead. With the additional cover, I spent pretty close to the same amount so I know it wasn't a financial decision.

Thanks for all the good tips. I got the Kindle 2 as a gift in March and I almost cried when I opened it. I love it, love it!! Even though I usually have 3 or 4 books loaded, I never thought about the fact that I wouldn't be able to get anything on a cruise. I'll be in the Med the end of the month so I guess I have to get a few more books loaded! Not that I'll have much time for reading however!!!

Okay, it's been said many times here, but "I love my kindle"! I looked at them a couple of years ago when they first came out and thought "why the heck would someone spend that kind of money for something to read on?" A friend got one a few months ago and I again became interested in it. I looked at the Sony ereader, too. Specifically because it will let you download PDF files. In researching, on one forum I was fortunate enough to be offered a used kindle for 1/2 the original price. Original owner was now reading all his ebooks on his IPhone. I jumped at the offer and have never been sorry. I had many PDF books on my computer, but found I could convert them to kindle files and transfer them to my kindle pretty easily. Even though the original owner unregistered the kindle with amazon, when I re-registered it in my name, it gave me back all the books that he had purchased for it. I went through and saved all the ones that I want to read and deleted the rest. What a deal for me! I recently took it on a bus trip that we took and plan to take it on our cruise this fall. Great little gadget!:D

Archived