Ziplining Belize -vs- Isla Roatan

Joie

We really like doing the excursions thru the ship...especially when it's a place we haven't been before. Just to have the insurance of if something would go wrong the ship WILL wait for us to get back to the ship and not leave us stranded. After we get more comfortable with an area then it's not so bad. But we have not been to Belize yet and the kids want to do the ziplining......but I have read that it is MUCH nicer in Isla Roatan stop but is NOT offered as a carnival excursion from there.......Has anyone done the Belize one and was it good or not? Also is it worth the 75 min. bus ride ONE -WAY?

thanks in advance for any info.

We really like doing the excursions thru the ship...especially when it's a place we haven't been before. Just to have the insurance of if something would go wrong the ship WILL wait for us to get back to the ship and not leave us stranded. After we get more comfortable with an area then it's not so bad. But we have not been to Belize yet and the kids want to do the ziplining......but I have read that it is MUCH nicer in Isla Roatan stop but is NOT offered as a carnival excursion from there.......Has anyone done the Belize one and was it good or not? Also is it worth the 75 min. bus ride ONE -WAY?

thanks in advance for any info.

I was wondering that too.

We did the zipline in Roatan not through the cruise line. We absolutely loved it. We booked through Victor Bodden. He customized the day for us as a private tour guide. No worries about getting back to the ship on time. You'll be fine. The sights from the zipline were amazing. We'd do it again.

In Belize, we went cave tubing. Don't know where else we could have done that. It was fun. Never thought I'd hear the phrase, "Butts up," so often!!!

We zip-lined in Rotan and cave-tubed in Belize (the ziplining is in the same approximate location in Belize). So I can't compare them. We did both inependently. The Rotan zip-lines are pretty close to the port (~20 mins). The belize cave-tubing/zip-lining area was more than an hour away (almost 2 hours for us as we got stuck behind some diplomatic caravan that we couldn't pass). The ziplining in Rotan was so awsome, that I can't image the Belize being that much better! I believe the zipline we went to on Rotan was "south shore" We went thru shoretrips.com.

We did the zipline in Belize a couple of years ago. The hardest part was the walk from the bus to the station where you got your equipment. It was very hot & humid, and the walk up was pretty steep. A lot of people had to stop and rest along the way. That said, we enjoyed it.

I can't give you any info on Roatan ziplining, except to say that if Carnival is not offering a zipline tour right now it may be because in March one of the ziplines in Roatan broke and a woman fell and broke her neck. She later died.

Holy Cow.........that's terrible. I hate to hear about accidents like that.

Thanks for all the replies........now I got to wonder about the ziplines in Belize...they claim the equipt. is much older than Roatan.....I guess it's a scary excusion.....you would have to be very careful.

Does the one in Roatan end at the Gumbalimba Park.....it looks like you go right by it or stop there.....was hoping to be able to meet up with other family members when it was done without having to go back to the ship.

• 1 year later...

We were very scared to use the offshore excursion for Isla Rotan. In reality it was great - from price to expectations... everything was great. We went July 2010 and had great weather. Couldn't have asked for more. The Zipline offered was my most favorite of all. I also recomment the cave tube - what an experience.

I don't thinkCarnival offers a zipline excursion because they have the Clip and Zip at mahagony bay where you dock. I like the fact that it is right there and close to the ship. I have heard great reviews on the Clip and Zip. I would love to hear any recent reviews.

Kris

I don't thinkCarnival offers a zipline excursion because they have the Clip and Zip at mahagony bay where you dock. I like the fact that it is right there and close to the ship. I have heard great reviews on the Clip and Zip. I would love to hear any recent reviews.

Kris

I would also love to know! And do u know a price for the carnvial one at the port?

TIA

We went ziplining in Belize a few years ago and honestly, not sure I would do it again - at least not there. You are on an older school bus for over an hour each way with a guide telling you about Belize. Once we finally got to the zipline area, had a safety briefing and then we went. After the group was all finished, you got back on the bus to go for lunch which wasn't that great and got to look at photos that were taken of you and you could purchase same (I don't remember the cost) and then back to the port.

Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful and a lot of fun but not something I would do again in Belize. We are going ziplining again next month but will probably just do it in Roatan at Mahogany Bay.

But again, just my 2 cents so please take it for what it's worth!

Zip Line in Roatan. Cave tube in Belize. There is a zip lines in Roatan right at Mahogany Bay and you don't need an excursion or ship excursion to do it (If you're docking in Coxen Hole they'll come pick you up if you email them. ClipN Zip Roatan) Other zip lines in Roatan can be accessed by a 20 minute cab ride. and you'll have plenty of time to hit the beach afterward.

We went ziplining in Belize a few years ago and honestly, not sure I would do it again - at least not there. You are on an older school bus for over an hour each way with a guide telling you about Belize. Once we finally got to the zipline area, had a safety briefing and then we went. After the group was all finished, you got back on the bus to go for lunch which wasn't that great and got to look at photos that were taken of you and you could purchase same (I don't remember the cost) and then back to the port.

Don't get me wrong, it was beautiful and a lot of fun but not something I would do again in Belize. We are going ziplining again next month but will probably just do it in Roatan at Mahogany Bay.

But again, just my 2 cents so please take it for what it's worth!

As you have been zip-lining in Belize, I was hoping you could answer a question I have about it.

We are booked through the ship for February for the zip line in Belize.

The only other time I zipped was in Cabo, and we had to use our gloved hand and pull down hard on the cable as out 'brakes'. I found this to be tiring, but managed.

This year I am experiencing problems in my right arm, therefore will not be able to pull down on the cable to break like the last place.

My question is: Were you required to use your hand to stop yourself at the end of the zip line?

Thanks for your time.

Gonetothedogs

This is the zipline that is right at Mahogany Bay - VERY new and has a 3rd safety line, which I don't believe many do. They have a website and I emailed them asking if we needed reservations and they said "no" - just show up.

Kris

I would also love to know! And do u know a price for the carnvial one at the port?

TIA

We did Clip N Zip in Roatan on 12/28. It cost $40 per person. I had e-mailed Erik (the owner) beforehand, as I had a party of 6, and he told us to just come down. It was empty at 10 am when we went. They took 9 people, with 4 guides. (they have tons of guides there waiting) And yes, the safety equipment is well above what I have experienced on other ziplines, (Jamaica, cozumel) especially the 3rd safety line and the stopping block they have to stop people who "forget" to brake at the end of each line. The guides will even "ride tandom" with you if you need it. I have a special needs daughter - she had a bad experience in Ochos Rios - plowed right into a padded tree at the end of a zipline - luckily wasn't hurt - but it scared her enough that she didn't want to zip ever again. I explained the situation to Erik in an e-mail - he actually called me here in NY to discuss how to make my daughter's experience a great one. And it was! - They zipped with her on a few lines, but she did all the rest herself. (think there are 11 or 13 lines - don't remember) We also had an 8/9/10/11 year old with us - they loved it! They also had a guide with them on 2 lines, which were "faster" than the others. It is all "safety first" with this company. By the time we left (around 12) the place was jammed with people. So, if you go, try to get there early, so you aren't possibly rushed thru a great experience.

We had done the cave tubing in Belize, and the zip-lining in Roatan.

We did our zip-line tour with Victor Bodden. At the time, his harnesses were like brand new (two years ago) and he was rather proud of his knowledge of the safety issues that ad plagued other zip line operators in Roatan.

I felt safe with that tour.

11434_1246165363411_1507726387_30674364_828844_n.jpg

My mother-in-law (~60 at the time)

What do I remember Victor telling me about the zip line...

Umm... he uses a two line system (as seen in the photo)... the pitch on the runs aren't too steep, so there's no need to "brake" since you don't create that much inertia.

Something about the strength of the wire was good enough for XXX amount of yards, but his longest run is YY yards... so there's less stress on the wire?

whatever... it was a good experience.

11434_1246165523415_1507726387_30674368_4018150_n.jpg

I booked with Island Marketing in Roatan for an island tour (with ziplining included for two of our five family members). Daniel was a wonderful guide; I would not hesitate to recommend their tour. They used Pirates of the Caribbean ziplining, which has an extreme course and an apparently not-so-extreme one. DH and DD did the extreme course, which was eight lines of varying lengths and much loved by both...the highlight of their cruise. The staff was excellent and the course very safe (double lines). My daughter wore sunglasses equipped with a video camera, so we were all able to enjoy "the ride" afterward. DD and DH also did cave tubing in Belize (the X-stream tour with Belizecruiseexcursions.com booked through Island Marketing). Ended up with second-rate equipment (unlike some of the other tours they encountered) but enjoyed it anyway.

Two years ago, I ziplined in Roatan at South Shore. I booked my tour through Victor Bodden. I believe South Shore is more adventurous than Victor's lines. I enjoyed it. The island is small so the driver can take some to zipline while others shop or stroll the beach.

Archived