Spirit - 3 in Balcony cabin, how crammed?

OfcSupport

We're trying to decide if we should pay $400 more and upgrade from our inside on the Spirit to a balcony cabin. We currently have one of the 200 sq. ft. inside cabins vs. the usual 161 sq. ft. My son is 16 and is almost 6 feet tall so it's like having three adults in a cabin.

Do you have to step over the bed for the third person to access the balcony? I vaguely recall someone commenting on this before but I could be mistaken. Also, is there anyway a third person could enjoy the balcony. I'm thinking there are only two chairs and wouldn't be room for a third.

We can also upgrade to an oceanview for no additional cost but I don't think we want to give up the space for that.

We've always booked insides but would love to try a balcony but we'd be giving up extra space.

Any ideas? Thanks.

We had three in an inside cabin. It was close quarters but not uncomfortable for us.

We had three teens in the room next to us as well and they were fine.

It is tight but because we were only in the room to sleep it was okay.

We had a pull down bed so if you have one like that there would not be an issue.

if the pull-out sofa/bed is "out", then it goes all the way to the desk...yes, you have to climb over it to get out the balacony door.

3 chairs, on the balcony, would be tight.

these photos are from '06..the colorful bedspreads have been replaced..but otherwise the cabin lay-out is the same.

72565986_Roomasyouenter.jpg.dba482e1ee61606c4b9549012f307829.jpg

1954981283_Lookingtowarddoor.jpg.e7710462a4b2f61c6b166e78130b9621.jpg

Balcony.jpg.6696e911069202bf9a2a9ca1ecb05e41.jpg

I'd stay right where you are! You're going to need the extra floor space in the inside cabin. We stayed in a balcony cabin on the Dawn when DD was about 5 or 6 years old and it drove us nuts trying to get out to the balcony when the bed was opened up.

Where you offered an upsell or where you just checking prices?? I've noticed that our sailing is no way near sold out and we're only two weeks away:confused:

Thanks everyone. I noticed the price of the balconies has dropped and the price difference between what I paid and the cost of the balcony cabins is $400 total. When I originally booked it was alot more. I called NCL and they told me I could pay the difference and get the balcony cabin.

I've contacted NCL three times recently when I noticed the price drop online. Each time they give me a higher price over the phone. After being on hold for some time they usually come back and say they forgot to put in a different promo code or some other reason and would agree with the online price. Seems odd this has happened to me three times.

I am thinking you know better what works for you, since you have sailed in an inside cabin before. Some people can never deal with more than 2 in a cabin. Others have no trouble with 4 in a cabin. Different strokes for different folks.

Not sure how "comfortable" that pull out couch would be anyways.

I think I would stay in the inside cabin. If it were only you and significant other, I would say otherwise but those bigger inside rooms seem appealing when 3 adults share a room. You could invest that 400$ in a great shore excursion or another extra perk (or keep it in the cruise fund for next time).

We only had two 'officials' in our Spirit balcony but often had visitors. The options for three on the balcony were: lap sitting, standing or having the little desk chair straddle the slider opening (which we did quite often). We had lots of fun and laughs out there - it was great - but we never had the sofa bed open...

Hope this helps.

Have a great time!

Clare

We were on the Spirit in January in a balcony room with three people (daughter 20). When the sofa bed is out, it is like wall to wall bed. You do have a tiny walking space about the width of their little dresser. I did have to climb over the sofa bed to get to the balcony.

if the pull-out sofa/bed is "out", then it goes all the way to the desk...yes, you have to climb over it to get out the balacony door.

3 chairs, on the balcony, would be tight.

these photos are from '06..the colorful bedspreads have been replaced..but otherwise the cabin lay-out is the same.

We had a BC on the Spirit and our "loveseat/sofa" was about the size of a large chair. My father had a BA and his "loveseat" was smaller than your sofa but bigger than my chair. This is our cabin seat. http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2897687710046023440dtppsb On the other side of the bed there was a night table that was about a foot wide with no room to spare.

We're trying to decide if we should pay $400 more and upgrade from our inside on the Spirit to a balcony cabin. We currently have one of the 200 sq. ft. inside cabins vs. the usual 161 sq. ft. My son is 16 and is almost 6 feet tall so it's like having three adults in a cabin.

Do you have to step over the bed for the third person to access the balcony? I vaguely recall someone commenting on this before but I could be mistaken. Also, is there anyway a third person could enjoy the balcony. I'm thinking there are only two chairs and wouldn't be room for a third.

We can also upgrade to an oceanview for no additional cost but I don't think we want to give up the space for that.

We've always booked insides but would love to try a balcony but we'd be giving up extra space.

Any ideas? Thanks.

We gave up a 175 sf inside for the balcony. The balcony was doable for two but I would say three would be a little crowded. If you can stand the "closeness" a balcony is great to have! We paid $300 to upgrade.

hello if you have the 200 sq. ft cabin stay where you are we did 6/12-6/19 cabin 6535 we had 3 adults and a 2 year old plenty of room no climbing over anything and the 2 year old had plenty of running around room have a great cruise marie

hello if you have the 200 sq. ft cabin stay where you are we did 6/12-6/19 cabin 6535 we had 3 adults and a 2 year old plenty of room no climbing over anything and the 2 year old had plenty of running around room have a great cruise marie

We were going to be in this cabin in August with our 2 children, age 15 and 11. We just swapped to 2 oceanviews!

DW and I was on the Spirit in april in a balcony. I folded out the sofa bed just to see how the room was with it out. There is NO way to get out to the balcony but to climb over the sofa bed. What it all comes down to is when are you going to use the balcony. If you plan to go out there as soon as you get up and the person on the bed ain't up yet, they will be when you climb over them.:D But if you sleep late or let that person get up 1st you'll be fine. We found that we spent more time out on the balcony in the evenings and just before going to sleep. But I have also read many people love to have thier morning coffee out there, so I guess it's all in when you plan on useing the balcony and how late of a sleeper the person in the sofa bed.

Hopes the helps,

in any case you'll LOVE the spirit it's 1 classy lady

The cabins aren't much larger than some of our master bedrooms. Not many of us can squeeze three beds in our bedrooms but expect a cabin to be able to squeeze four or five.....

You wouldn't think of squeezing a whole family into a bedroom at home, but for some reasons of economy some of us think we should be able to squeeze five or six of us into one cabin.....

Hi, we are in room 10611 and it is one of the bigger sideways inside cabins. It is wonderful to have more room in your cabin. We have 2 kids and they have a play area. There is a pull down bed and a trundle type bed, and anopther single. Very nice layout, but I do not know what room you are in. I would keep the bigger inside. Have fun!

We have sailed in a balcony (deck 11) with our adult DD and in an inside (deck 8) with just the two of us. While it's nice to have a balcony, as for sleeping, your son may be more comfortable in an inside, where he (or one of you) can sleep in the upper berth.

If you do take the balcony, here are two hints. First, move the desk/vanity chair out from under the desk/vanity (we put it along the wall next to it and used it to hold our cooler). Then, when the sofa bed is opened up, there will be a few more inches between the bottom of the sofa bed and the desk, so you'll be able to squeeze through to access the balcony without climbing on top of your son. (Assuming he will be sleeping in- at least our DD always sleeps in on cruises LOL).

Also, that sofa bed is uncomfortable! The metal bars (of the frame) could be felt through the thin mattress. We finally padded the bars with extra blankets and pillows (put under the mattress). You could also ask for an egg crate mattress liner.

We love the Spirit, and you'll have a wonderful cruise no matter where you sleep. We did use the balcony, but not as much as we had anticipated. That was the only time we ever had a balcony- now we save money and get insides.

The cabins aren't much larger than some of our master bedrooms. Not many of us can squeeze three beds in our bedrooms but expect a cabin to be able to squeeze four or five.....

You wouldn't think of squeezing a whole family into a bedroom at home, but for some reasons of economy some of us think we should be able to squeeze five or six of us into one cabin.....

I'm not sure I know what you are referring to. We have three people in our cabin, not five or six. It has nothing to do with the economy.

Archived