Petrified we wont fit in on our first cruise

Jamie Girling

Hi my names Jamie and in October I am going on a 17 night cruise around the med with my parents on board the P&O Arcadia. We haven't been on a cruise before and we don't know what to expect. Can you please assist in the following so we enjoy the cruise without worrying about fitting in. I personally are dreading the cruise! Silly I know. please help with some tips.

How many formal nights will we have in total?

How do you dress for formal nights. I have just turned 19 and my parents are 45 and 44

How should you dress for informal nights?

Will there be others on the ship my age?

All silly questions I know but we want to enjoy the cruise and not arrive on the ship anxious

Thanks everyone

Jamie

My mum was anxious about fitting in on her first cruise which we persuaded them to book, but was surprised at how "ordinary" (in the nicest possible sense) everyone seemed. We were on Arcadia and there was a wide range of ages from 18 to 80. I presume you know there will be no under 18's as it is an adults-only ship. We did some quite adventurous excursions and everyone was very friendly, if you can smile, say hello and join in a conversation you will be fine.

I think you will have 5 formal nights on a 17-night cruise. We wear a dinner jacket, dress shirt and bow tie (Paul) and a full-length slinky dress (me) because that is what we like and it complies with the dress code. Other people wear a lounge suit (men) and a mid-calf length dress or evening (velvet?) skirt or trousers with a sparkly top (ladies). You would struggle to be over-dressed(!) and it makes for a special atmosphere on board and is in no way a "stuffy" evening.

I cannot answer for informal wear as we have only cruised in the Caribbean which has either formal or smart casual.

My niece and nephew have cruised twice at a similar age to you, in fact my nephew will be just 19 when we go this December and he can't wait.

I hope you and your parents have a lovely time.

Carol x

My experience of cruising, I'll admit mainly Cunard, Formal is a dress suit or tux or a dark lounge suit. There used to be semi formal which was jacket and trousers with tie and the informal was the same but without the tie. I have done the Med and I am sure you will enjoy it, have a great time. Oh, and the fact you are on here asking questions, you will fit in.

Hi Jamie

Please don't worry I'm sure you and your parents will have a lovely time. The actual number of formal nights will be confirmed when you receive your tickets but it is also usually found on the P&O website a bit nearer your cruise date.

You may be able to find out if there are others your age on board by contacting P&O either by email or call customer services (you will need your reservation number). Have a look at the meeting place section of the P&O website (under Community) for your cruise as well.

I haven't been on Arcadia or Artemis (we have a young daughter) but I'm happy to answer any questions on P&O in general.

Debbie:)

To clarify the dress codes, I have copied the information from the P&O website.

To help you pack for your holiday, below you’ll find a description of the different dress codes we operate and upon which ship they apply. If you do forget to pack something, then don’t worry as our shops carry a wide range of leisurewear and formal clothing.

Daywear

Casual shirts, shorts, trousers and beachwear are ideal. For going ashore and walking on deck, flat comfortable shoes are a must. You will also need a lightweight jacket or coat for cool evenings and occasional showers. Don’t forget sun protection cream, a sun hat and sunglasses as the sun is much stronger at sea. Packing a spare pair of glasses and an ample supply of any medicines you are taking is also a good idea.

Formal

This is the opportunity for ladies to wear formal evening wear such as an evening dress, smart trouser suit or a cocktail dress. For men, a dinner jacket or tuxedo are the norm, otherwise a dark lounge/ business suit and tie or formal national dress is fine. (Applies to all ships.)

Semi-Formal

Ladies can wear anything from tailored trousers to smart separates or an elegant dress, while men are required to wear a smart shirt and trousers with a jacket such as a blazer or sports jacket. A suit and tie may be worn but is not compulsory. (From April 2009 Semi-Formal applies to Arcadia, Artemis, Aurora and Oriana only.)

Smart Casual

Stylish resort or leisurewear is ideal, for example casual separates or dresses for ladies and open-neck polo shirts and casual trousers (not shorts) for men. A jacket and smart trousers may be worn but are not compulsory. Smart dark denim may be worn however we request that the following items are not worn: sportswear, e.g. trainers, football shirts and tracksuits. Bring your brightest clothes for our Tropical evenings. (Applies to all ships.)

For a typical two week cruise:

Oceana and Ventura - From April 2009 there will normally be four Formal evenings and ten Smart Casual evenings. Arcadia, Aurora, Oriana and Artemis – there are normally four Formal evenings, four Semi-Formal evenings and six Smart Casual. However in extremely hot temperatures these dress codes may be relaxed. We will send you confirmation of the specific details of your cruise with your travel documents.

Children: The dress code is applicable to all passengers of 18 years and over and we request that on Formal or Semi-Formal evenings children wear, as a minimum, Smart Casual dress, however on these occasions dark denim is not permitted.

Please do not wear your swimsuit in the lounges, interior bars, restaurants or reception area. A shirt and suitable footwear is required while indoors and when using the buffets. In the evenings all restaurants and bars comply with the dress code of the evening.

Dont worry about it too much. People who cruise are just ordinary people like yourselves

Brian

I'll get shot down in flames for saying this but to go on an adult only ship in October out of Southampton is not in my view the right cruise.

I wouldn't dream of suggesting to my 18 yr old son and 21 yr old daughter this particular cruise. They would really be in the minority of people in a similar age bracket. Even at my ripe old age of 50 I reckon I'll be in the minority and would stay clear of Arcadia or Artemis.

I'm sure many people will disagree with my view point. It is only my opinion and you asked the question.

Sorry if it's not what you wanted to read.

First you will fit in fine . Just go with the flow.As regards Dress Code you will be sent full details with your tickets but I think you will find that Arcadia will be Fairly but not overly formal.Your husband will need a Dinner Suit and possibly a lounge suit as well.For casual nights Shirts [with collar] and trousers [jeans are frowned on as are football shirts].Some nice Bars on Arcadia try The Orchid Bar for Pre Dinner Drinks.The Gary Rhodes Restaurant despite the Charge is worth a visit.Excellent Theatre try to get one of the 'Boxes'.Have a good un.:)

Archived