Princess Insurance & non-Princess airfare

B8C

I know ccr's always come through. Our first time using Princess Insurance. It looks like Princess Insurance/Berkley doesn't cover non-Princess airfare. Need advice on insuring non-Princess airfare. Most 3rd party insurance covers the cruise + airfare. Are there policies covering airfare only? I couldn't find any policies on insuremytrip and other websites. :confused:

Thanks for the help/advice.

I know ccr's always come through. Our first time using Princess Insurance. It looks like Princess Insurance/Berkley doesn't cover non-Princess airfare. Need advice on insuring non-Princess airfare. Most 3rd party insurance covers the cruise + airfare. Are there policies covering airfare only? I couldn't find any policies on insuremytrip and other websites. :confused:

You are correct, Princess insurance will only over what is booked directly through the cruise line.

Try looking at www.insuremytrip.com where you can cover air only and compare different policys.

You are correct, Princess insurance will only over what is booked directly through the cruise line.

Try looking at www.insuremytrip.com where you can cover air only and compare different policys.

Thanks Toto2Kansas.:) Usually use insuremytrip.com to book 3rd party. We thought we'd try Princess Insurance since we now get the upgrade.

Princess insurance if fine if you book everything through Princess, cruise plus air. But it will only cover you for what was booked with the cruise line. Now if you would have booked your air through Princess, your air would have been covered without an extra cost for insurance, but since you booked it independently, then you will need to cover it with an outside policy if you want your air insured also. ;)

There are lots of travel insurance providers that will cover your "trip costs".... I know of a few but cannot advertise here. Keep looking around. I assume you did not have a travel agent to assist you further????

Taszmom - Thanks and we do have an TA. Just like to research as much as I can. An informed buyer is a better buyer. Also less of a pain in the ... to my TA. :D

Toto2Kansas - Thanks again for your help.

We tend to book airfare since much less than Princess air (usually) and we can control the itinerary. I knew we would need a policy just for air or self insure. Just researching the options since it's our first time using Princess Insurance.

worst case you could enter ZERO for the cruise cost and just enter the airfgare cost for some of the least expensive 3rd Party Policies and see what the costs would be - you'd endup with double coverage for Medical and Baggage? Also, check the credit card you purchased the airfare on for AD&D coverage and Trip Cancellation coverage. ken

The last time I booked an airline ticket it offered me insurance at the end of the purchase. I think it was Delta, but am not sure Anyways, check with the airline if they offer insurance for the flight only.

CHAMIMA:

The last time I booked an airline ticket it offered me insurance at the end of the purchase. I think it was Delta, but am not sure Anyways, check with the airline if they offer insurance for the flight only.

Same for booking Continental airlines. The premium is @ 5% of the air fare. Continental's carrier is Access America.

Confirm by an on line faux booking for the airline of your choice.

Also......

Check your airline's site (or call customer service) - I'm sure I've seen airfare coverage insurance offered by at leasgt one airline recently.

Check with Princess to see if their Policy can be cancelled. the Policy states that it's "non-refundable past the Final Payment Deadline". It may be that it's refundable only if you cancel your cruise. If you can cancel, you could purchase TravelEX or CSA or TravelInsured (giving-up Princesse's included "Cancel for any Reason" 75% future cruise credit). ken

Doesn't Princess' insurance cover trip delays even if you don't book the air fare through them?

I remember obsessing about our cruise out of Barbados because Delta cancelled our day-before flight and only had one on the day of the cruise. I called Princess and *THINK* they said that they would still pay to get us to the next port even though we booked the air separately.

Senior moment? Or am I remembering this right?

Doesn't Princess' insurance cover trip delays even if you don't book the air fare through them?

We just used Princess insurance for the first time for our Asia trip. We booked our own airfare. Our flight from Denver was delayed getting into San Francisco and we missed our connection to Tokyo/Bangkok. Because it was a weather delay in SF, the airlines offer no compensation, other than booking you on the next flight out the next morning.

Princess insurance covered the hotel that night in SF, plus dinner that night and breakfast the next morning. We saved all the receipts and were reimbursed within 30 days. We were flying in early before the cruise so we had no problem with missing the ship.

Princess will NOT cover airfare problems unless you book the air with the cruise and buy the insurance.

Most airlines offer an insurance package at the time you book and it is relatively inexpensive.

Ron

We just used Princess insurance for the first time for our Asia trip. We booked our own airfare. Our flight from Denver was delayed getting into San Francisco and we missed our connection to Tokyo/Bangkok. Because it was a weather delay in SF, the airlines offer no compensation, other than booking you on the next flight out the next morning.

Princess insurance covered the hotel that night in SF, plus dinner that night and breakfast the next morning. We saved all the receipts and were reimbursed within 30 days. We were flying in early before the cruise so we had no problem with missing the ship.

While it was nice of Princess to reimburse you I don't understand why they did.

If you booked your own airfare then Princess had no part in any of the air arrangements. Did you add the cost of the airfare to the amount you insured the cruise for?

Please explain. :confused::confused::confused:

The insurance is covering "trip delay," not the airfare.

They will NOT reimburse you for the cost of the airfare. But apparently they will reimburse you for expenses incurred until you reach the ship.

And Trip Delay must be due to a "covered" reason and also usually maxes out at $500 per person. Missed Connection in some policies also has a low max usually about $500. This will not be enough to pay for a re-booked ticket if one has to travel to the next port or if the ship arrival is delayed.

The insurance is covering "trip delay," not the airfare.

They will NOT reimburse you for the cost of the airfare. But apparently they will reimburse you for expenses incurred until you reach the ship.

Correct....the reimbursement was for "trip delay". There was a maximum of $500 per person and we were nowhere near that--our total reimbursement was around $200 for the two of us ($100pp). The airlines did refer us to a hotel near the airport and we were given a reduced rate as referral by the airline. We didn't have to rebook--the airlines just put us on the next available flight, although we did have to wait in line at the SF airport for quite some time along with everyone else who had missed connections. There was space on the insurance form for additional airline fees, but we didn't have any, so I don't know whether or not they would have paid for that since we didn't need it. The Princess insurance does not cover your airline ticket if you book independently and then decide to cancel the trip.

We are booked on the Sun Princess for this coming November. We booked our own airfare and we are going to book our own insurance also.

Last cruise to South America we got our insurance through insuremytrip.com and got a great policy where medical was primary.

It also covered everything else including trip delay, lost luggage, primary medical, $50,00 evacation medical coverage and much more for less than the cruise line was offering. Just go online, put in the credit card info and then print out the policy. Very easy.

Booking our own airfare was over 1/2 of what the cruise line wanted.:o

This thread has been discussing "trip interruption" insurance. I agree Princess insurance is NOT the answer (even the Gold level they offer to their frequent cruisers).

The insurance you really need is evacuation insurance. I have been on 4 different cruises where a helicopter lands on the ship and evacuates a passenger. Some of these evacuations have been in far away places, where "trusted" medical advice may be lacking. With evacuation insurance you are insured to fly "home" to get medical attention where you prefer.

How much does an evacuation helicopter cost? Ambulance to take you to the hospital. Airfare home or a hospital stay in a far away land.

Insure for the BIG things, not the little things. Trip interruption is a "little" thing.

You can find many travel insurance companies via googling the internet.

COMPARE COVERAGE.

This thread has been discussing "trip interruption" insurance. I agree Princess insurance is NOT the answer (even the Gold level they offer to their frequent cruisers).

The insurance you really need is evacuation insurance. I have been on 4 different cruises where a helicopter lands on the ship and evacuates a passenger. Some of these evacuations have been in far away places, where "trusted" medical advice may be lacking. With evacuation insurance you are insured to fly "home" to get medical attention where you prefer.

How much does an evacuation helicopter cost? Ambulance to take you to the hospital. Airfare home or a hospital stay in a far away land.

Insure for the BIG things, not the little things. Trip interruption is a "little" thing.

You can find many travel insurance companies via googling the internet.

COMPARE COVERAGE.

Quote from Princess description of insurance

And, upgrading to our new Platinum Vacation Protection plan (or Travel Care Gold for voyages prior to the summer of 2009) will also double coverage for medical expenses, lost baggage and emergency medical evacuation ($25,000 regular and $50,000 for gold/platinum)

Quote from Princess description of insurance

And, upgrading to our new Platinum Vacation Protection plan (or Travel Care Gold for voyages prior to the summer of 2009) will also double coverage for medical expenses, lost baggage and emergency medical evacuation ($25,000 regular and $50,000 for gold/platinum)

Exactly correct. I might add, early this year I had to cancel a cruise due to illness. Berkley Care provided excellent service and paid my claim promptly.

The necessary forms are very brief, only three in total, and easily understood.

I do carry MedJet Assist, too. It's an annual policy covering all travel world wide. I hope I never have to use it, but it's kinda like flood insurance.

The annual premium is reasonable, and having it helps me sleep nights. :o

http://www.medjetassist.com/

I am sure that Princess insurance is very good. We have never booked Princess air-any quote that we have rec'd for air or hotels have been about 50 percent higher than we could do on our own. This led to to third party primary insurance as we wanted to be covered for everything..health/trip interuption etc. We found that we got much better insurance (primary) for significantly lower price. And we did have one claim that was paid with not so much as question or call...a cheque for the full amount was mailed out to us. We are careful NEVER to take the insurance that is offered by the travel agent.....commissions are high and you are dependent on the agency to remit to the carrier. If the agency is on the 'edge' this may not occur and you will not have coverage.

Archived