Help me pick an itinerary, please!

MaiTaiMary

I'm looking at a cruise for Spring, 2011. I need some help trying to figure out which itinerary would be best for our family. :D

We'll have 3 small children. Ages will be 3 1/2, 5, and 6 1/2.

Interested in beaches!!! We're water people and really want to spend a lot of time at nice beaches and relaxing as much as possible. We'd be interested in exploring the local area a bit, but with 3 small children, really don't want to do anything too long or intense.

We're not big time shoppers or need any kind of nightlife.

All are 8 nights.

Eastern: Day at sea, Puerto Rico (5:00p - midnight), St. Thomas (7:00a - 6:00p), Antigua (7:00a - 6:00p), Tortola BVI (7:00a - 3:30p), Nassau, Bahamas (12:00p - 7:00p), Day at Sea

$869pp

Western: Day at sea, Cozumel (8:00a - 5:00p), Day at Sea, Costa Rica (10:00a - 6:00p), Day at Sea, Panama (7:00a - 4:00p), Day at Sea, Day at Sea

$689pp

Southern: Day at sea, Day at sea, St. Maarten (8:00a - 5:00p), St. Lucia (9:00a- 5:00p), St. Kitts (9:00a - 4:00p), Day at Sea, Day at sea

$759 pp

The Eastern itinerary appeals to me because I've always wanted to visit those ports (minus Puerto Rico). Five ports sounds kind of tiring, though.

Again, I love the ports in the Western itinerary. Three ports and 5 days at sea sound pretty relaxing.

With the Southern itinerary, we'd get 4 days at sea and 3 ports (in a row). I really don't know much about the ports, though. But I believe they would have nice beaches, yes?

Any tips for picking an itinerary?? Thanks! :D

You don't mention which ships you're looking at. With kids that age, I'd choose the ship before I'd choose the itinerary. That having been said, I wouldn't choose the Western either. I'd choose Eastern or Southern.

You don't say where in Costa Rica or Panama you would be...I think that might make a difference as to what is available. I would go for the Eastern or Southern...EM

Limon, Costa Rica

and

Colon, Panama

You don't mention which ships you're looking at. With kids that age, I'd choose the ship before I'd choose the itinerary. That having been said, I wouldn't choose the Western either. I'd choose Eastern or Southern.

Western and Eastern is on the Freedom

The Southern is on the Miracle.

Thanks for the help. :) Why wouldn't you choose Western?

I think with the Eastern itinerary you will be absolutely exhausted.

Going to Costa Rica and Panama just do not appeal to me.

I would pick the Southern - I think those are great stops, with plenty of sea days to relax.

I have a 3 year old DS and 7 year old DD. Here's my take on the choices. I like the idea of panama, but not with kids so that one is out. I like both the eastern and southern. I like seeing different ports but would worry that my 2 would be too exhausted over 4 different ports in 4 days. I like how they leave the port later on eastern but with the little ones I'd have/want the early dining and would most likely be back onboard long before departure anyways. So If it was me I'd go with the southern. I love the idea of 2 sea days on either end of the cruise for relaxing time before and after the ports. Having said that I'd investigate the ship(s) for the eastern and southern routes. I agree with the other person that said it's more important of which ship then which itinerary. If the little ones are less then impressed on the ship it could get ugly FAST lol. But if I was choosing just by itinerary (ships are equal) then I'd go with the southern namely for the sea day blend.

Thanks for the great advice!

Good point 'bout the early dining.

. I agree with the other person that said it's more important of which ship then which itinerary. If the little ones are less then impressed on the ship it could get ugly FAST lol.

What am I looking for when comparing the two ships? I don't know what would make one better than the other for young kids.

Miracle and Freedom. Both Carnival.

Ok I looked at both ship's deck plans on carnival's site. To me it looks like the freedom and Miracle are both about the same size ship. However the freedom has more people and a more rectangle shape where the Miracle is more like a rectangle that's being strangled lol. Personally between the 2 I think the freedom is a better layout with the exception of the camp carnival. I don't know how important or how often you plan on using the camp so this could be a non-factor. Camp carnival is all the way forward and highest deck on the freedom. Depending on cabin location it could be a looooong walk there. The miracle is all the way forward but in the center decks. The freedom has what looks like 3 pools compared to 2 pools for the Miracle. Both have the golfing (DD loved that) and slide (DD loved that too). The slide has a height restriction I believe of 42 inches. I'd have to look to be sure. Having said that It'd be a toss up for me. The freedom is the eastern, more money, more ports, but better ship IMHO from the deck plans. And on the other hand the Miracle has the better price, more relaxing looking itinerary, but appears to have less onboard for the kiddos to do. Having said that I'm sure someone would be able to voice their opinions of both ships with small ones. I haven't been on either ship yet lol. Just my opinion but I'd still go with the southern for the itinerary. The difference in ships could be overlooked as I'm sure my little ones wouldn't know what they were missing out on the differnce and could probably find enough to keep themselves occupied on ANY ship. Just give them a pool and the mini golf and they are good to go! That was the case with DD who was 4 and I'm hoping it's also the case with DS when we sail with him at 4.

Honestly, I'd go for the cheapest one. Unless you've checked it out and the ports in question have NO beaches available (and that's what you're looking for), then the most relaxing cruise is going to be one with fewer ports. Here's why I think that... Your kids, at this point, don't care. Really. I've been travelling myself since I was five, and in my younger years, I was just having a great time with my family. Sure, I remember wonderful things from those holidays (don't let anyone ever tell you that kids don't remember, because they DO), but none of those memories involve culture or anything of historical value. As I got older I had a bit more interest in culture, but truthfully all of my memories - including watching a ship pass through the locks in Panama at 12 - involve something to do with my family, and whatever cultural thing is part of the memory is secondary. Your kids are going to be happy to be in the kid's programs. hanging out in the family areas of the ship, and enjoying the sunshine. YOU are going to be much, much more relaxed if you don't have to worry about getting your family together to get off the ship at a port. With three kids of varying ages, you need sunscreen, bug spray, snacks, water, hats, changes of clothes... blah blah blah - we're all parents here, and we all know what's involved in going anywhere with a 3 1/2 year old, just for starters. A cruise with more sea days means less scheduling and more time to sleep in, relax, and just chill. Your kids may or may not enjoy the organized kids' programs, but even if they don't, you still get to just hang out with them and not have to worry about work or other activities at home. There are just so many activities available on ships these days, you can't go wrong. Port-intensive itineraries are not, in my opinion, designed for people who want to relax.

I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time no matter which you choose. This is just my opinion, so something else to keep in mind is what your family is like; if you're a 'constantly on the go' family, maybe port-intensive is right for you. Take all the suggestions here and use them to determine what is going to work the best for you. :)

nahh

the eastern caribbean route is for beach worshippers.

Antigua-365 beautiful beaches

St Thomas- beautiful beaches

Tortola- beautiful beaches

nassau- beautiful beaches

the southern caribbean route offers islands with a more lush appeal, so if you are into doing nature trail withing the dense forest etc., then this itinerary is for you

We're considering the Southern on Miracle for our next trip...my only hesitation is that we're fans of the OV cabins and Miracle doesn't have any in the location we want. Lots of people on the Carnival board prefer the Spirit class ships (as Miracle is), although I haven't sailed on one yet.

Another thing that occured to me that may factor into your decision is the EASE of GETTING to those beaches that you want to hang out on in port. With 3 small kids, I personally wouldn't want to be travelling for an extended period of time in a taxi in a foreign country, with or without carseats. Just something to consider, I think.

Also something to consider is if any of these ports are tendered ports. I'd put a high value on having the freedom to come and go on the ship as you choose, not having to mess with tendering.

I honestly have zero desire to hit Panama, so I'm biased against the Western itinerary you chose, LOL. Sorry. ;)

Of the Eastern itinerary, I've been to Nassau (where you can WALK to the nice beaches) and St. Thomas (which is probably a 15-20 minute drive, on decent roads, depending on where you want to go). Plus Puerto Rico is a night time stop, so I'd maybe haul everyone off to grab a fun bite to eat or wander a market near by the ship, and head back for bed.

I totally get being upright about hitting 4 ports on the trip...that's what we're headed for in November (after our two previous cruises, sans kids, where we were WIPED OUT after only THREE ports). Although, if you are just planning to beach it, you can just plan on being back on the ship earlier if you choose to do the four port run.

If you do choose a more port intensive cruise, you don't HAVE to get off in every port. You can stay on and enjoy the ship. Pools are not crowded, and it is very easy to get a lounge chair by the pool;), oh and spas often run specials on port days:cool:

Archived