muster drill w a 15month old?

mommy42208

I too have this problem. I have a 3 year old that's got more energy than that little bunny. On our first cruise we went as late as possible with hopes for being in the front row. Last in first out tip from here at CC. We ended up way off to the side and it was good timing for the drill length and all BUT we weren't the first out. The line to get back to the cruise seamed longer then the drill itself. On the last cruise the kids stayed home with grandma and we attempted to be one of the first there. It was great for leaving when it was done but it took FOREVER for it to start. We were packed in like sardines in the back row. I was however the first person in line so I could step over to get a breath of fress air lol. I'm not sure which we'll attempt on our next cruise with both 3 year old (that will be 4 at sailing) and our DD that'll be 7. I'm leaning towards arriving last minute so the wait time and sardine effects aren't as bad. I have heard where staff sees little ones being packed in too tightly they bring them to the front. I'm not sure how often that happens though as I haven't seen it first hand. Also a tip for you. The cabins come with standard adult life vests. Ask your cabin steward as soon as you get to the room for child life vests. They'll be alot more comfy for them and if there was an emergency you'll want the right size.

ughh this is not going to be fun lol

thanks for the tips!!

Your welcome. I know depending on the departure port it can be VERY warm with the vests on. Out of norfolk we took DD who was 4 at the time and did the promise of ice cream when we were finished as the reward for good behavior. Suprisingly it worked well as an incentive until she realized it was free lol. And as far as it not being fun...just remind yourself it's only a short time for the overall cruise time. I know it sounds funny but I figure if I can make it 30 mins +/- thru muster drill then I can relax the rest of the cruise LOL.

You didn't say which cruise line you are going on, but on DDs 1st cruise (at 6 months old), they let us go before the mass exit so we could avoid the crowd, they sent everyone who had to hold/carry their children off first. I know I have seen them do this on both RCCL and DCL.

Usually we have no problems with muster drills. The crew have always been very accomodating to people with children. This last cruise though was very different {Carnival Triumph}

We arrived 5 minutes early, the drill was 15 minutes late, then it lasted 20 minutes, which made the entire thing unbearable for my youngest. It was hot. We were smooshed against the back wall.

Not a good time. :(

Make sure you get to the muster area before anyone else. The staff there will put you in a place where you'll be most comfortable. And if you're on a ship that actually makes you go out on deck, they will put you in a place near the door and they will let you leave early. They did that on our RCI Navigator of the Seas cruise---they put those in wheelchairs and parents with strollers in a special area near their lifeboat and let them leave about 3 minutes before everyone else.

Make sure you get to the muster area before anyone else. The staff there will put you in a place where you'll be most comfortable. And if you're on a ship that actually makes you go out on deck, they will put you in a place near the door and they will let you leave early. They did that on our RCI Navigator of the Seas cruise---they put those in wheelchairs and parents with strollers in a special area near their lifeboat and let them leave about 3 minutes before everyone else.

Usually I agree 100% with this, absolutely. Because this had been our experience as well.

UNTIL, we got to Carnival Triumph. ;)

The crew grabbed us when we arrived early and told us to stand against the wall, then just kept piling more and more people up against us. Twenty minutes later, they finally sounded the alarm to start the drill. :eek:

And of course some people on the CCL board said it was my fault because we arrived early. :rolleyes:

We have cruised only 1 time with our son, he is very friendly, and had fun flirting with the girl(crewmember) during the whole thing. Anything is easy for us, we just find a girl for him to flirt with and he behaves. I call him my little womanizer(his father was like this when he was little, but stopped being that way after about 10 years old according to his Mom). James does not really care cradle to the grave as long as the person is female he is in love. LOL:eek::eek::eek:

Usually I agree 100% with this, absolutely. Because this had been our experience as well.

UNTIL, we got to Carnival Triumph. ;)

The crew grabbed us when we arrived early and told us to stand against the wall, then just kept piling more and more people up against us. Twenty minutes later, they finally sounded the alarm to start the drill. :eek:

And of course some people on the CCL board said it was my fault because we arrived early. :rolleyes:

Oh my gosh. That's terrible. They have always been great on RCI. I use a scooter on cruises and RCI has always been the best with those of us with scooters and people with strollers.

The muster drill and the lines at embarkation are the two things I find most difficult when we travel with our Grandson, he is 2 now. It seems like when he is in a crowded space and hot he gets cranky. I know it takes less then half an hour, but it feels like forever when you have a hot, sticky little crabapple with you. My daughter and I alway's tell each other thank goodness that's over with now we can enjoy our vacation. I know you are probably dreading it like I am for the next cruise, but it's smooth sailing after that.

I don't know which ship you are on, but I've been on several where you do not have to go on deck and stand in lines but go to another destination, such as a certain lounge or dining room. This is much better, as there are usually places to sit down and you are not so smooshed. Kids have a little space to move around.

After a couple of bad experiences being stuck in the back row for a long time, we try to be among the last to arrive, if muster drill is on deck rather than a lounge. This has always worked for us. I would not want to be stuck against the wall for 20 minutes with a squirmy, fussy baby or toddler.

I always go at the very last minute and I always bring my stroller to keep toddlers comfortable and contained. But our cruises have mostly been on Princess, where muster is always in one of the lounges. On Carnival, we were allowed to wait inside with those who had mobility problems. I'm surprised that there are still some archaic-seeming muster drills going on out there - like the ones of my youth, but back then ships didn't have thousands of passengers on board.

Seems like the Triumph has fogotten that it's supposed to be a pleasure cruise. Instead of "time-outs" we can start threatening time on the Triumph for bad behavior. :rolleyes:

Best,

Mia

Archived