Size of Safe on (Star) Princess for Camera

Sailing in two weeks to Alaska on Star Princess. A member of our group has a Nikon F700 DSLR Camera with extra lenses. He's worried about being able to lock up the camera and all the lenses in the safe while he is not taking it out on an excursion with us. Anyone have experience on the inside dimensions of the safes and if you've been able to fit your camera with extra lenses in it?

Thanks and have a happy holiday!

That's a pretty hefty camera. While I don't know the exact dimensions of the safe, they are made for jewelry and small things. I am going to guess that the camera without a lens could be squeezed in and maybe a small lens.

I personally wouldn't bother. On a cruise I keep my camera stuff in a drab case in the closet. I have never had any problems. Others here will report the same experience.

But, not taking it on excursions? We go on excursions to take photos.

Larry

Thanks Larry. BTW--read it again--maybe I worded a little funny. I meant that he's worried what to do with the camera when it's not out with us on an excursion!

I just told him to lock it in his empty luggage under the bed, but he's worried--does the front desk have some sort of arrangement for locking up valuables?

Agree with Larry on the size. I think dropping it with the purser would draw more attention than just leaving it in the room. I leave my stuff under the bed.

Another option is some of the PacSafe. I have their backpack, which I can lock up or lock to something. However, though I had it with, I did not use it on our last 14 day.

At some point you have to accept some minimal level of risk, or make traveling much more difficult.

Robin,

I did kind of read it wrong :o

I have never heard of a service to check valuables at the purser's desk. Even if there was I wouldn't be inclined to hand over my nice expensive camera.

Here is a thread from several weeks ago. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=985558&highlight=

The consensus is that one should take reasonable care, not leave the equipment in full view, but that theft isn't a problem.

Have a great cruise.

Larry

Thanks Larry. I concur, but our friend for some reason is really nervous about this. I've left laptops out in the open in hotel rooms, which probably isn't too bright, but I'll agree--a cabin steward would not last too long if things were disappearing from cabins! Thanks for your help.

Sailing in two weeks to Alaska on Star Princess. A member of our group has a Nikon F700 DSLR Camera with extra lenses. He's worried about being able to lock up the camera and all the lenses in the safe while he is not taking it out on an excursion with us. Anyone have experience on the inside dimensions of the safes and if you've been able to fit your camera with extra lenses in it?

F700, more likely D700 :D A fine camera, if he is taking his 2.8 lenses, forget it it won't fit in most safes I've seen in hotels or on ships.

Sorry if this sounds harsh, but isn't the point of that camera to BRING ON excursion so you can take those "kodak" moments :confused: If he ain't taking it on excursions why is he even bringing it at all. Perhaps he'd be better off taking a superzoom or a D5000 with 18-200 instead. The thing is bulit like a tank ( weighs like one too ) but he shouldn't worry about taking it on excursions. I've lugged my D300/D700 thru 100% humidty shot in light rain, not a problem at all.

I'm not a terribly paranoid person and have pretty much felt safe leaving my camera tucked into my empty luggage when I'm out for dinner or somewhere I really don't plan to shot, but on vacation that is very very rarely I don't have it even at a waterpark... :D

Chipmaster, thanks for the advice on the size of the safe, but you really should have read my post and following discussion with Larry more closely. He is BRINGING it on excursions and is worried about what to do with it when he does not have it with us when we are ON the ship and not taking pictures! It'll be around his neck on excursions!

Chipmaster, thanks for the advice on the size of the safe, but you really should have read my post and following discussion with Larry more closely. He is BRINGING it on excursions and is worried about what to do with it when he does not have it with us when we are ON the ship and not taking pictures! It'll be around his neck on excursions!

Me bad :mad:

I've actually found it fun maybe even more so shooting around the ship and lugged it around most places on the boat too. But I'm more a capture the moments versus the scenics.

You're forgiven.....:)

Personally, I think my friend is a bit over concerned about this--I'd just hide it in the cabin also. I guess it's our NY mentality, to over worry about theft!

It would be interesting to know how many people have ever had photo equipment stolen from a camera. I just leave my stuff wherever I drop it and have never had a problem.

IMHO, if someone was going to steal something from a cabin, it would more likely be either jewelry or your passport, not photo equipment.

I would say the the OP has a severe case of paranoia.

Don

I would say the the OP has a severe case of paranoia.

I am the OP, and was not asking for myself, but for a friend. Saying I have a severe case of paranoia is a bit extreme, wouldn't you say? If you BOTHERED to read the entire thread, you would have seen that I also felt the friend may have been overreacting. But I personally would never leave an expensive camera "just lying around," and you'll note the other posters do take some sort of care in where it is left--under the bed; behind some clothes. And in defense of my friend, he has not been on a cruise in 8 years, and it was somewhat of a reasonable question.

• 5 weeks later...

I have been on 7 princess cruises including the Star and I bring a D50 along with two lenses. The Tamron 18-250 and the Tokina 11-16. We are able to stuff this along with walets, jewelry and a bunch of other things into the safe. I know the D700 is a bigger camera than the D50, but if you keep a lens on the camera and stand the other lens up we could stuff everything else into the safe.

I am a photographer by trade and I made sure that all my equiptment was insured anywhere in the world. I have a roll camera bag that looks like your typical carry on luggage. For extra equiptment I did not take to ports or for formal nights I didn't take the big camera (I also had a simple point and shoot that I slipped into my husbands pocket on formal nights) I just put them in the suitcase and slid it under the bed with the other empty luggage.

Lots of stewards and cruise members knew I had the camera because I had lots of questions about it and some were very envious (not that was my intent) but there is a trust you put into something like that. As a previous poster said....their jobs are at stake if something shows up missing from a cabin during a cruise.

Your friend should really consider insuring his equiptment. Its a good investement.

Archived