Do you need advice about Stockholm?

acjb

I have been reading about the rioting in Stockholm. We are traveling with small children on our baltics cruise. Is it safe? Are there areas to avoid? What can you recommend for children (6 and 7)?

the riots are in the suburbs and in areas that tourists normally don't go.

What is the closest bus station to Stadsgården? Londonviadukten, Folkungagatan, or Sofiaskolan? I tried to do a search on the SL journey planner and it doesn't actually mention taking the ferry at Slussen. It suggests that you take a bus and then tram, or a bus, the metro, and tram.

Edited by Piyley

What is the closest bus station to Stadsgården? Londonviadukten, Folkungagatan, or Sofiaskolan? I tried to do a search on the SL journey planner and it doesn't actually mention taking the ferry at Slussen. It suggests that you take a bus and then tram, or a bus, the metro, and tram.

Londonviadukten i the closest stop.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=Londonviadukten&ll=59.314482,18.098119&spn=0.001283,0.003699&hnear=Londonviadukten,+116+30+Stockholm&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=59.314603,18.09786&panoid=MNb1SV9LO44MIKPxiDZwRw&cbp=12,46.42,,0,-4.31

Edited by Desdichado62

Stockholm felt as the safest place on earth. The old city (Gamlastan) is traffic free, it's a walking area, so safe for children. Depends on how many hours you are spending in Stockholm and how children-oriented you would like your stay to be, but consider visiting Skansen http://www.skansen.se and Junibacken http://www.junibacken.se.

Perfect, Thanks!!

Thanks, Desdischado62! The SL planner is telling me to take bus 425 towards Slussen, then metro green line to Gamla Stan, then City tram 7 to Djurgårdsbron. Is this easy to manage? Will it be easy to find all these transfers?

Thanks, Desdischado62! The SL planner is telling me to take bus 425 towards Slussen, then metro green line to Gamla Stan, then City tram 7 to Djurgårdsbron. Is this easy to manage? Will it be easy to find all these transfers?

It shouldn't be too difficult, Slussen is more of a terminal though with multiple stops.

However this does not seems as the most optimal route.

When are you arriving? I am sure that there are better routes if you want to go by bus.

As you mentioned there is also the possibility of going with the ferry from Slussen or with the HoHo boats from Stadsgården.

We're arriving on Friday, June 28th at 8am. I searched the planner and it recommends the route I talked about before, or take bus 53 and switch to city tram 7. But the first bus we could take is at 8:03, which I'm not sure we'll make it and the next one is at 8:30. So I thought we could try the other route with the bus, metro, and tram.

It shouldn't be too difficult, Slussen is more of a terminal though with multiple stops.

However this does not seems as the most optimal route.

When are you arriving? I am sure that there are better routes if you want to go by bus.

As you mentioned there is also the possibility of going with the ferry from Slussen or with the HoHo boats from Stadsgården.

We're arriving on Friday, June 28th at 8am. I searched the planner and it recommends the route I talked about before, or take bus 53 and switch to city tram 7. But the first bus we could take is at 8:03, which I'm not sure we'll make it and the next one is at 8:30. So I thought we could try the other route with the bus, metro, and tram.

Yes the thing is though since 28th isn't available for search yet, I assume you searched for the 21st instead, am I right?

Normally that wouldn't make a difference BUT the third Friday in June every year is a holiday.

This means that public transportation are not using the normal schedule but Saturday schedule

for Midsummer eve and Sunday schedule for Midsummer day.

So do a new search and search from Londonviadukten to Djurgårdsbron and choose Thursday, June 20th as a date.

Not that many buses passes by Vasa so its usually a much better option to search for connections to

Djurgårdsbron stop and walk the remaining 400m. Its just across the bridge and the follow then signs.

Edited by Desdichado62

You're absolutely right, I used the 21st to search. I did the search now on the 20th and the suggested routes are all buses and trams. That's perfect, thank you so much! You've been super helpful!

Yes the thing is though since 28th isn't available for search yet, I assume you searched for the 21st instead, am I right?

Normally that wouldn't make a difference BUT the third Friday in June every year is a holiday.

This means that public transportation are not using the normal schedule but Saturday schedule

for Midsummer eve and Sunday schedule for Midsummer day.

So do a new search and search from Londonviadukten to Djurgårdsbron and choose Thursday, June 20th as a date.

Not that many buses passes by Vasa so its usually a much better option to search for connections to

Djurgårdsbron stop and walk the remaining 400m. Its just across the bridge and the follow then signs.

Our cruise concludes in Stockholm on Saturday, June 22. I believe that's Midsommer Day in Sweden - yes? What do I need to be prepared for in terms of attractions and so forth that will be closed, as well as limitations on public transport?

That cannot be correct. :eek:

If you plan to use bus-subway-tram then you shall NOT get off the subway at Gamla Stan BUT at T-Centralen (2nd stop from Slussen). And it doesnt matter if you take the green or red line from Slussen as long as it goes towards north. The Slussen station is built so that all trains going north starts from (both sides of) one platform, and those going south from another platform so you can just select first train that comes to the platform.

Exiting the train at T-Centralen turn LEFT, up the escalators towards Sergels Torg. Locate the Sergel Fountain with the high pillar. Locate the Malmskillnadsgatan bridge behind the fountain. The tram will start under the bridge.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=59.332355,18.062929&spn=0.002482,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=59.332355,18.062929&panoid=jvx4XJEP4kJywyaqMa5wuA&cbp=12,97.66,,0,-10.47

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=sv&ll=59.332587,18.065783&spn=0.002493,0.008256&t=m&z=18&layer=c&cbll=59.33249,18.065853&panoid=wY-qPY-om5ZV7LIqSNYdkQ&cbp=12,51.46,,0,0.47

Our cruise concludes in Stockholm on Saturday, June 22. I believe that's Midsommer Day in Sweden - yes? What do I need to be prepared for in terms of attractions and so forth that will be closed, as well as limitations on public transport?

It depends on what you want to do/see. Wasa is open as usual, Skansen is open, The Royal Palace is open.

Most other museums are likely closed. Shops and department stores are usually closed.

Public transport uses a Sunday schedule

Thanks for info - Hope the suburban thugs calm down by mid August so we don't miss anything in Stockholm on our excursion.

The Royals will probably be on summer vacation then anyway, so maybe the suburban infighting will subside for a summer break too :--)

I think you will need more then 45 minutes at Vasa.

Also I would recommend using the Djurgården ferries rather then walking.

Walk from Vasa (A) to Allmänna Gränd (B) go with Djurgården ferries to to Slussen © and walk around in Gamla Stan (D).

https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Vasamuseet,+Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen+14,+115+21+Stockholm&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g+to:Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g+to:59.3254531,18.0689669+to:59.3258663,18.0697758+to:Stortorget&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.323601,18.074956&spn=0.007236,0.02959&sll=59.322703,18.074237&sspn=0.003618,0.014795&geocode=FQhHiQMdrQ4UASmvKYNtVJ1fRjFBMsG08Zrwzw%3BFcw2iQMdOxoUAQ%3BFYUuiQMdwssTAQ%3BFQ08iQMd5rUTASlRUlJs4ndfRjFenm5l_Q7pLQ%3BFao9iQMdD7kTASkFpsx24ndfRjGLDqO5btWv-A%3BFbE6iQMdbbwTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=17&via=3,4&z=16

To get to point A on the map above, exit Vasa and go to the right around the open dock: https://maps.google.se/maps?saddr=Vasamuseet,+Gal%C3%A4rvarvsv%C3%A4gen+14,+115+21+Stockholm&daddr=Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g+to:Ok%C3%A4nd+v%C3%A4g+to:59.3254531,18.0689669+to:59.3258663,18.0697758+to:Stortorget&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.328721,18.091641&spn=0.000643,0.001849&sll=59.322703,18.074237&sspn=0.003618,0.014795&geocode=FQhHiQMdrQ4UASmvKYNtVJ1fRjFBMsG08Zrwzw%3BFcw2iQMdOxoUAQ%3BFYUuiQMdwssTAQ%3BFQ08iQMd5rUTASlRUlJs4ndfRjFenm5l_Q7pLQ%3BFao9iQMdD7kTASkFpsx24ndfRjGLDqO5btWv-A%3BFbE6iQMdbbwTAQ&t=h&dirflg=w&mra=dme&mrsp=2&sz=17&via=3,4&z=20&layer=c&cbll=59.32872,18.091661&panoid=FOtcZVG2bN6jTKLgqf0MXg&cbp=12,141.34,,0,-0.36

Between April 27th and June 16th Djurgården ferries leaves every 15 minutes from Allmänna Gränd (XX.00, 15, 30, 45).

From June 16th and the rest of the summer departures are more frequent.

Tickets are bought at the quay either from a ticket machine or from a manned ticket kiosk.

http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=sv&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=sv&ie=UTF-8&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.waxholmsbolaget.se%2Fresa%2Fdjurgardsfarjan%2Fom-djurgardsfarjan%2F

A preview of the view from Durgårdsfärjan:

Regarding the HoHo bus, I don't recommend it, its quite pricey and imo don't really give you a good sightseeing tour.

Use the time at Vasa and in Gamla Stan instead.

I'll take your advise, and re-schedule just as what you said, however, we found a problem with the bus schedule, since we will be stockholm on 23rd of June and its Sunday, seems like there dont have service for Bus 76 on that day, is it true? also, please advise if Djurgarden ferry is running on Sunday. Thanks.

I'll take your advise, and re-schedule just as what you said, however, we found a problem with the bus schedule, since we will be stockholm on 23rd of June and its Sunday, seems like there dont have service for Bus 76 on that day, is it true? also, please advise if Djurgarden ferry is running on Sunday. Thanks.

The Bus 76 do run on Sundays but not until 9am.

The best way for you would be to take Blue Bus #1 at 07:23 towards Stora Essingen. Get off at Värtavägen/Valhallavägen.

Then you have two options.

Either walk to Karlaplan and from there take buss 44 towards Skansen, get off at Nordiska museet and walk to Vasa.

This includes about 15 minutes waiting for bus 44 at Karlaplan.

Or you could walk the entire remaining distance to Vasa. It is about 1,4km and will take 15-20 minutes.

Both options will take about the same time.

Djurgårdsfärjan runs every day of the year. Until June 16th a ferry will depart every 20 minutes.

From June 17th and for the rest of the summer i would expect a slightly more frequent schedule.

every

Thanks so much for your quick reply, in this case I'll do as below, please let me know if its not workable.

1) Will start to take a morning walk on/around 07:30 from Frihamnen to Vasa, its around 3km and should be there within an hour.

2) spend one hour in Vasa till 09:30

3) Take Djurgarden ferry to Gamla Stan

4) spend the rest of our time in Gamla Stan till 13:00, and back to Frihamnen by 76 Bus.

Just one more question, in case we need a taxi, is it easy to get one in Gamla Stan, and whats the fare of it? Thanks.

Thanks so much for your quick reply, in this case I'll do as below, please let me know if its not workable.

1) Will start to take a morning walk on/around 07:30 from Frihamnen to Vasa, its around 3km and should be there within an hour.

2) spend one hour in Vasa till 09:30

3) Take Djurgarden ferry to Gamla Stan

4) spend the rest of our time in Gamla Stan till 13:00, and back to Frihamnen by 76 Bus.

Just one more question, in case we need a taxi, is it easy to get one in Gamla Stan, and whats the fare of it? Thanks.

It seems ok.

Regarding Taxi's I dont know how easy/hard they are to get one at Gamla Stan.

For more info se;

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=36367247&highlight=taxi#post36367247

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=34167478#post34167478

Finally I done with all the ports I'll dock for my 11 nights cruise start on 14th of June, and really like to thanks the people in CC which is really informative and helpful for my planning.

In return, I'll like to share some of my experience to all of you and hope its help.

An offline map App "CityMap2Go" is very helpful, I used to paint out all the Google map of my traveling route, and its a lot of paper and not clear enough when you use it. First time I used my Ipad with this App in last October of my East Europe trip, its fantastic, and very easy to handle.

You can down load the free one to try first (only allow for two maps), you can pin out all the attraction, hotel, restaurant, bus stop .... in the map, also can put your own notes in different points, try it and I'm sure you will like it. :)

I am confused. And I apologize, because I know you answer this question multiple times. I tried to read the docket for the ships in Stockholm and I cannot understand it. Where is the NCL Star docking in Stockholm on Monday June 10? Frihamnen??

Edited by jellygirl
spelling

I am confused. And I apologize, because I know you answer this question multiple times. I tried to read the docket for the ships in Stockholm and I cannot understand it. Where is the NCL Star docking in Stockholm on Monday June 10? Frihamnen??

NCL, that is Norwegian right? In that case your ship will dock at Berth: S167 STADSGÅRDEN which is Stadsgårdskajen and not Frihamnen.

https://maps.google.se/maps?q=Viking+Line,+Stadsg%C3%A5rden,+S%C3%B6dermalm,+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&hl=sv&ie=UTF8&ll=59.326578,18.108215&spn=0.028943,0.118361&geocode=FQUXiQMd4SMUAQ&hnear=Viking+Line,+Stadsg%C3%A5rden,+Stockholm,+Stockholms+l%C3%A4n&t=h&z=14

Berth: S167 STADSGÅRDEN

Based on the Stockholm cruise port website found in this forum, my cruise ship is docking at Stadsgarden on Jun 28. But someone from my roll call contacted NCL and they were told that we're docking at Frihamnen. Does anyone know from experience which one is correct?