Carry-on luggage for flight to 7 night cruise

saileeney

I think it would be so awesome not to have to check any luggage for our flight to Barcelona. Has anyone done this?

I figure summer clothes are smaller and light weight so we have that working in our favor. The only thing I'm worried about is toiletries because of the restrictions on liquids in carry-ons, but most products come in airline friendly sizes, right?

We've had some bad luck with the airlines losing our luggage and it would really suck to deal with that while on a cruise. (There was a recient post about this happening to someone on CC, although their suitcase was misplaced by the cruise line and then found a few days later in someone's closet!!)

Anyway, for anyone who has done this, do you have any tips or tricks to make this work? Thanks!

~A

We recently did a 7 day cruise to Bermuda, and took only our carry-on bags. We were able to do this comfortably with one concession: No formal wear. No suit, dress shoes, nice dresses for dinner (with matching shoes), etc. This meant we had to forgo the Formal nights in the dining room, and eat at the buffet those nights. We were all about convenience, not fashion. We found we had everything we needed, even had room for hubby's snorkle stuff. We did bring one cloth tote bag, in case we bought souvenirs that wouldn't fit in the carry-ons. It can be done!

Oh! I didn't even think about souvenirs!We have three little girls , so I'm sure we'll coming home with more stuff than we left with ;). Good idea to bring an extra bag for the return flight.

We are the same way as far as fashion goes. Comfort is more of a priority than having a matching pair of shoes for every outfit. I wasn't even planning on bringing any dress clothes. That's the beauty of "freestyle", right?

I guess then I will have to check a suitcase on the way home which is no big deal. I would rather deal with lost luggage on the way home instead of during my vacation.

Thanks!

~A

Flying to Barcelona on Swiss Air (from the US) I did not have a problem with my carryon. Coming back from Barcelona I did - they said there was a weight limitation for carryons of I believe 7 kilos. I was 15 or so - so it went checked. So check with your carrier - for both ways.

I think it would be so awesome not to have to check any luggage for our flight to Barcelona. Has anyone done this?

I figure summer clothes are smaller and light weight so we have that working in our favor. The only thing I'm worried about is toiletries because of the restrictions on liquids in carry-ons, but most products come in airline friendly sizes, right?

We've had some bad luck with the airlines losing our luggage and it would really suck to deal with that while on a cruise. (There was a recient post about this happening to someone on CC, although their suitcase was misplaced by the cruise line and then found a few days later in someone's closet!!)

Anyway, for anyone who has done this, do you have any tips or tricks to make this work? Thanks!

~A

I have cruised 3 times with only a carry on for 7 day cruises to Mexico. My formal wear consists of slinky silky pants and sparkley sweater that do not wrinkle. Casual wear consists of 3 capri's or shorts, 4 tank/T tops, one pair of decent sandals, one nightgown..very lightweight, 4 pairs of unders that I wash in the sink, one jacket I wear on the plane. I'd much rather carry on than suffer having my luggage lost. The ships also have laundry service if you need it.

I do not carry a lot of make up or hair products and the products I do bring are in very small bottles.

Besides... NCL does not really have formal nights......so if you can bring khaki's and a decent shirt you're good to go!

It can easily be done. Have a great cruise!:)

The trick to packing all your belongings in carry-on luggage is to not only use the standard carry-on size roller bag, but use the largest tote the airline will allow you to take as your personal item. The advantage of taking a large tote is you can pack quite a bit more in one, than say a purse or backpack. I do slip a small purse in the side pocket of the tote to use thru out the trip. Between the carry-on size roller bag and the large tote you can easily pack enough clothes for a one week cruise.

Also you might want to buy some travel space bags. They help compress your clothes so you can fit more in your luggage. I bought mine at Target.

Before I begin, just as a reminder...you don't have any airline fees associated with checked bags on an international flight.

That said, I admire your desire to only take your carry-ons...and it can be done.

I have found a LOT of great advice on this from the website http://www.packinglight.net.

I would recommend that you start by watching their video on "how" to pack enough clothing in a carry-on. You can find it here: http://www.packinglight.net/plight/text_1.asp?tx_id=90&

The video can also be found on You Tube...just search for "Packing Method for Weeks of Travel in a Carry-On Suitcase"

Best of luck with your packing!

The trick to packing all your belongings in carry-on luggage is to not only use the standard carry-on size roller bag, but use the largest tote the airline will allow you to take as your personal item. The advantage of taking a large tote is you can pack quite a bit more in one, than say a purse or backpack. I do slip a small purse in the side pocket of the tote to use thru out the trip. Between the carry-on size roller bag and the large tote you can easily pack enough clothes for a one week cruise.

Also you might want to buy some travel space bags. They help compress your clothes so you can fit more in your luggage. I bought mine at Target.

How do you compress these bags for the return trip? Are they vacuum packaging?

~A

I can tell you that my DW has done an 11 day trans Atlantic from the Canary Islands to FLL with only a carry on twice so I know it can be done.

I just love the people who bring gigantic-sized carry-on luggage down the isle of the plane, only to take up an entire overhead for their personal use. While it might sound great to do this, I personally think it is inconsiderate for someone to plan using all spare and available overhead space for their own junk, while other cannot even get a small, appropriately-sized bag into the overhead.

Remember, not only must the bag be of a certain size, it can only be of a certain weight, for safety. There is nothing like getting hit in the head with a heavy bag that someone has placed in an overhead.

When I travel, I am not alone. I must respect the others around me. Frankly -- and I know I will be flammed by this -- I find those who carry big duffle bag onto a plane to be selfish in this regard.

Here is what I do when I travel international for long vacations with my wife after dealing with lost luggage. We each pack a carry on with essentials (medicine, underwear 2 pairs of pants 4 shirts etc). She takes some makeup, in the carryon, but most goes into one common suitcase with the rest of our 'like to wear' clothes and items. This also gives us plenty of room for souvenirs on the way back. If the checked bag gets lost, then we have what we need and can pick up the lost luggage up on the way home. Any toiletries (minus my wife's favorite makeup) can be purchased on the vacation. We do only carry bags that are official carry on bags and have never had any trouble fitting necessities. I am also a large man, so my clothes aren't small :).

Also you are on NCL, so no formal attire or suits are necessary!.

Michael

Here is what I do when I travel international for long vacations with my wife after dealing with lost luggage. We each pack a carry on with essentials (medicine, underwear 2 pairs of pants 4 shirts etc). She takes some makeup, in the carryon, but most goes into one common suitcase with the rest of our 'like to wear' clothes and items. This also gives us plenty of room for souvenirs on the way back. If the checked bag gets lost, then we have what we need and can pick up the lost luggage up on the way home. Any toiletries (minus my wife's favorite makeup) can be purchased on the vacation. We do only carry bags that are official carry on bags and have never had any trouble fitting necessities. I am also a large man, so my clothes aren't small :).

Also you are on NCL, so no formal attire or suits are necessary!.

Michael

I just love the people who bring gigantic-sized carry-on luggage down the isle of the plane, only to take up an entire overhead for their personal use. While it might sound great to do this, I personally think it is inconsiderate for someone to plan using all spare and available overhead space for their own junk, while other cannot even get a small, appropriately-sized bag into the overhead.

Remember, not only must the bag be of a certain size, it can only be of a certain weight, for safety. There is nothing like getting hit in the head with a heavy bag that someone has placed in an overhead.

When I travel, I am not alone. I must respect the others around me. Frankly -- and I know I will be flammed by this -- I find those who carry big duffle bag onto a plane to be selfish in this regard.

Agreed...and with regards to the weight of carry-on baggage, there ARE limits...around 30 pounds. If everyone placed items in the overhead that exceeded those weights, the integrity of the overhead bins may be compromised. Just check the bag as thousands of others do. Insurance would cover any delay; and you are arriving one day in advance right? It will be fine...otherwise just pack a few lightweight items that you plan on repeating throughout.

Agreed...and with regards to the weight of carry-on baggage, there ARE limits...around 30 pounds. If everyone placed items in the overhead that exceeded those weights, the integrity of the overhead bins may be compromised. Just check the bag as thousands of others do. Insurance would cover any delay; and you are arriving one day in advance right? It will be fine...otherwise just pack a few lightweight items that you plan on repeating throughout.

Both posts make very good points.

~A

'The airlines have strict carry on luggage requirements now that you pay for luggage--check the airline about the rules--I think you probably will have to check a bag.

Big green

Archived