Close Enough to See Shuttle Launch??

We will be sailing out of Jacksonville next Saturday, July 11 and according to the NASA website, a shuttle launch is scheduled for that evening a little after 730. Does anyone know if we will be able to see anything? Will we be close enough to land to experience this?

We live a little west of Orlando and we usually see all the launches if it isn't too cloudy. I would think JAX would be about the same distance. We don't really see the shuttle itself but we see the flames and the trail through the sky. It is pretty cool anyway. Cindy

Hmmm, normally I would say that you will have a FANTASTIC view of the launch but this time of year it might still be too bright to see it. In the dusk/darkness I can see it from my back yard and I am 180 miles to the west of the cape. You will definitely have a great vantage point and will be able to see the smoke trail and with a good set of binoculars you should be able to see the shuttle itself.

If you have an 8pm dinner I would just get ready in time for the 7:30 launch -- you can only really only see it for a couple of minutes and then it's over.

I've experienced one of these in person from Space View Park in Titusville -- just across the Indian River from the launch pad. It was one of the most amazing things I've experienced in my life. This was in June 2007.

P1000505.jpg

Knowing where to look is the hard part. When we first moved here we weren't sure but know we stand on our front porch and it goes right by. Last week my daughter called to see if there was a shuttle launch because she saw something in the sky and she lives in east orando( much closer). It was the satellite they sent up but she saw most of it. It is alot of fun.. maybe someday we will go to the cape and see the whole thing before they stop flying. Cindy

Archived