No more free drinks at Captain's Party?

Froufie

Carnival is very much a non-elitist cruise line. Things such as Captain's parties, Past guest parties, and anything else that doesn't appeal to the majority of the passengers needs to be done away with. If you remove the alcohol, remove the rest.

There is really not enough information in the original post. Was there a limited selection of wine or something free and if you opted for something different, a $1 off?

No. There was no free alcohol at all. You could buy drinks at a happy hour price which meant $1 off each drink you ordered.

I have seen people running after waiters and/or taking 5 or 6 drinks at a time of the waiter's tray :eek: This would count as a "pig troth" IMHO

As others have said, perhaps this is the reason the free drinks have been stopped as a trial - because they are costing too much because of "alcohol abuse".

No. There was no free alcohol at all. You could buy drinks at a happy hour price which meant $1 off each drink you ordered.

Wow, I'm glad $1 off is not considered "happy hour" in NOLA. Any bar who called that a happy hour would be closed within a month. What a joke.

Nor do I, but the comment was made asking "how drunk" people need to get, and I was simply pointing out that you can consume quite a few of the free cocktails without even getting tipsy.

I get it - thanks for clarifying.

As others have said, perhaps this is the reason the free drinks have been stopped as a trial - because they are costing too much because of "alcohol abuse".

I think "lobster abuse" costs them more money at dinner that night...Maybe they should do something about that too.

Wow, I'm glad $1 off is not considered "happy hour" in NOLA. Any bar who called that a happy hour would be closed within a month. What a joke.

I thought the same when I read it on the Capers. Our CD, Big Tex, made the announcement at the show on the first night. When he mentioned "Happy Hour" I immediately thought 2 for 1. I was quite disappointed to read that their happy hour meant $1 off each drink. :confused:

Although my wifey could care less, I look forward to the welcome aboard and past cruise parties w/drinks every cruise. I was on a Noewegain recently that offered the captians welcome aboard party w/o free drinks and was shocked at how cheap the were! Needless to say we travel mostly Carnival.

I think "lobster abuse" costs them more money at dinner that night...Maybe they should do something about that too.

Now that you mentioned it, they probably will. :eek: I have to admit, sometimes DH and I each ask for 2!

I have seen people running after waiters and/or taking 5 or 6 drinks at a time of the waiter's tray :eek: This would count as a "pig troth" IMHO

My husband will get drinks for my mother, me, and my sisters. This would count as "being a gentleman".

Now that you mentioned it, they probably will. :eek: I have to admit, sometimes DH and I each ask for 2!

We usually each have 6 or 8 tiny cocktails at the party, so by the time we go to dinner we're too full of liquid to eat much. We usually skip the appetizer and dessert and just get one entree. I guess we cost Carnival LESS money that night, because I bet those cocktails are considerably cheaper than lobster :)

Just sounds like cheapskates to me. Free drinks or not, if you tip, they will find you. ;)

The party also used to be a way for the servers to pick up some extra loot.

My husband will get drinks for my mother, me, and my sisters. This would count as "being a gentleman".

Yes, that would! There is a HUGE and OBVIOUS difference between a gentleman (or lady) and a pig.

Just sounds like cheapskates to me. Free drinks or not, if you tip, they will find you. ;)

Very good point. They very much appreciate a $5 or $10 tip and will make their way to you with trays full of drinks if you tip them up front!

Yep! We tip everyone all the time - beginning on the FIRST DAY. We are treated like royalty! It is so worth it.

We usually sit near the door that the waiters come out of. No warm left-over drinks for us! :D

We wouldn't bother attending a non-hosted Captain's cocktail party.

Celebrity changed theirs on our last trip to a "Captian's champagne toast" - pass

Although my wifey could care less, I look forward to the welcome aboard and past cruise parties w/drinks every cruise. I was on a Noewegain recently that offered the captians welcome aboard party w/o free drinks and was shocked at how cheap the were! Needless to say we travel mostly Carnival.

On my last NCL cruise, there were waiters standing around with trays of drinks at the past guest party and the Captain and staff spent a considerable amount of time there.

NCL also hands you a glass of wine when you board.

Truthfully, I only go to the Captain's party to get a free drink.

Somehow it makes watching people dance with their kids and their grandmothers a bit more interesting.

I agree. I'm sure the captain is a very charming gentleman, but I doubt I have anything in common with him, and after I shake his hand I seldom see him and never speak to him again. I go mainly for the drinks, and if there are no drinks, why bother?

Maybe Carnival could hand out lets say 3 or so free coupons for drinks for those who come to the the party. This way people can still get there free drinks and Carnival can maybe save a little money. I'm sure they know the main reason everyone goes is for the drinks. How many of you really do want to meet the Captain? The same with the Past Guest Party.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit....and I say good for them. I'd up the price....that would week out the freeloaders and attract only those who have an interest in this lovely reception.

Oh you must mean the freeloaders that paid $800 to be on the cruise.:rolleyes:

Give me a break. if you don't like us "freeloaders" showing up for the free drinks then YOU should not go to the party.

Dr. Jack

Archived