No more free drinks at Captain's Party?

Froufie

From a recent Valor review/thread posted here:

The Captains reception on Monday was nice. My husband and I danced. The drinks were $1 off, not free. We met the Captain. He was charming.

On Saturday night they had a farewell party in the Aft Lounges of deck 5. From 5pm to 6pm they served free drinks. The waitstaff made sure you kept a drink in your hand. The kids were served punch. DH and I tried whiskey sours, yummm. There weren't very many people in the lounge we were in

Anyone else experienced this? I know they have done away with the appetizers but is it possible they no longer serve free drinks? And I have never heard of a 'farewell party'? Something new? or just on the Valor?:confused:

We were on the Valor on 5/31 and did not even attend the captain's reception because we found out there would be no free drinks :mad: It was very disappointing. They do have that one hour farewell party with drinks on the last night. It is very smart of Carnival to do that - by the last night, people are so busy packing, AND they have had quite enough to drink and eat. The idea of free booze just did not seem as appetizing on the last night as it seemed on the second night of the cruise. I bet we'll soon be seeing this on all the ships. :(

For US, the Captain's Party is one of the things that makes our cruise enjoyable - it's definitely in the top ten reasons we choose Carnival. Frankly, if they eliminate the free drinks at the party, we'd be more likely to try out some of the other cruise lines in the future. May seem silly, but it's the truth. The Captain's Cocktail party has always been a highlight of our cruise, and it's something we would definitely miss.

I think no free drinks is a great idea, I was shocked to see all the passengers sitting around the bar with only napkins in front of them and they were waiting. They get ready and sit at the bar and wait for the exact minute and then drink as many as possible just like the OP stated. I find this to be an awful site of gluttony. I see all these folks in tuxedos and gowns and waiting for thier free drinks. They sit and wait until it's free. I had folks complain becasue they see me with a drink and then yell to the bartender this guy has a drink and so does his wife. I look at the guy and tell him the bar is open. I hope this goes fleetwide for the entire industry. It would be nice to restore some class like the good old days, when folks had a drink becasue they wanted one and not becasue it was free.

I think no free drinks is a great idea, I was shocked to see all the passengers sitting around the bar with only napkins in front of them and they were waiting. They get ready and sit at the bar and wait for the exact minute and then drink as many as possible just like the OP stated. I find this to be an awful site of gluttony. I see all these folks in tuxedos and gowns and waiting for thier free drinks. They sit and wait until it's free. I had folks complain becasue they see me with a drink and then yell to the bartender this guy has a drink and so does his wife. I look at the guy and tell him the bar is open. I hope this goes fleetwide for the entire industry. It would be nice to restore some class like the good old days, when folks had a drink becasue they wanted one and not becasue it was free.

Well then, I guess you'd also like to see Carnival eliminate the buffet, the pizza, and the sushi - you must be absolutely HORRIFIED at all those poor slobs waiting in line for FREE plates of food. Oh, the horror!

There are some of us who APPRECIATE the free drink(s) and who are not gluttons. We buy our drinks all week but graciously accept the one or two free drinks provided at the captain's party.

From a recent Valor review/thread posted here:

Anyone else experienced this? I know they have done away with the appetizers but is it possible they no longer serve free drinks? And I have never heard of a 'farewell party'? Something new? or just on the Valor?:confused:

Wouldn't surprise me a bit....and I say good for them. I'd up the price....that would week out the freeloaders and attract only those who have an interest in this lovely reception.

What used to be a special event has turned into a pig trough the last several years. Grabbing as many appetizers as possible, chasing the waiters down to get "one more", drinking as many free beverages as possible.

Next to go will be the Past Guest party...thanks to those who feel entitled to bring the entire family and friends and to others who simply crash it to drink and eat free.

As usual, it's those who take advantage of things who ruin it for the rest of us.....

There are some of us who APPRECIATE the free drink(s) and who are not gluttons. We buy our drinks all week but graciously accept the one or two free drinks provided at the captain's party.

One or two? Oh man, you aren't doing it right! I don't overindulge on food on my cruise, but I DO enjoy getting as many drinks as I can at the cocktail party. And I'm not the least bit ashamed of that fact. :)

We like our free drinks too! I really hope they decide this is not a good idea and do not roll it out fleetwide! Honestly, I think it may help them to make more money. I have tried some drinks at the cocktail party only to discover I like them and I order them throughout the cruise... (example: those yummy Whiskey Sours..).. While I do enjoy meeting the captain, I think the drinks are just as much of a highlight! Trust me, we spend enough at the bar, I don't think our free drinks are going to hurt them (or anyone else for that matter) any. ;)

Wouldn't surprise me a bit....and I say good for them. I'd up the price....that would week out the freeloaders and attract only those who have an interest in this lovely reception.

What used to be a special event has turned into a pig trough the last several years. Grabbing as many appetizers as possible' date=' chasing the waiters down to get "one more", drinking as many free beverages as possible.

Next to go will be the Past Guest party...thanks to those who feel entitled to bring the entire family and friends and to others who simply crash it to drink and eat free.

As usual, it's those who take advantage of things who ruin it for the rest of us.....[/quote']

Great observation, G'ma, and I bet you are right. I do not want to sound like a "snob" but the "over-indulgers" will ruin it for the rest of us. How much can a person drink????? After you are drunk, how much more drunk can you get????? I guess, I just don't get it.

Great observation, G'ma, and I bet you are right. I do not want to sound like a "snob" but the "over-indulgers" will ruin it for the rest of us. How much can a person drink????? After you are drunk, how much more drunk can you get????? I guess, I just don't get it.

Have you seen the size of the drinks they serve? They're MAYBE 1/4 the size of a normal cocktail you would purchase, and they're pretty light on alcohol content. Unless you are a serious lightweight, I don't see how you could get that drunk at the party unless you somehow had 20 or so of the drinks in that 45 minute period.

I have never seen anyone acting in an unsuitable manner at the Captain's party.

Certainly not a "pig troth".

I don't doubt that there are people who act like they have no "home training", but I have yet to see it at the Captain's party.

Have you seen the size of the drinks they serve? They're MAYBE 1/4 the size of a normal cocktail you would purchase, and they're pretty light on alcohol content. Unless you are a serious lightweight, I don't see how you could get that drunk at the party unless you somehow had 20 or so of the drinks in that 45 minute period.

My main priority when I cruise is not getting drunk. I do not have to have 20 drinks to enjoy and/or appreciate the captain's party. I also do not need to be drunk 24/7.

Carnival is very much a non-elitist cruise line. Things such as Captain's parties, Past guest parties, and anything else that doesn't appeal to the majority of the passengers needs to be done away with. If you remove the alcohol, remove the rest.

There is really not enough information in the original post. Was there a limited selection of wine or something free and if you opted for something different, a $1 off?

I don't agree about the alcohol content. At the two receptions I was on (Freedom and Valor) many of the drinks were "all alcohol" - I distinctly recall having a couple of Manhattans on Freedom and red wine on Valor. I'm sure it's not top shelf liquor, but it wasn't light on alcohol.

I do agree on the number of drinks one could reasonably have. Unless you are following around the servers. ;)

I have never seen anyone acting in an unsuitable manner at the Captain's party.

Certainly not a "pig troth".

I don't doubt that there are people who act like they have no "home training", but I have yet to see it at the Captain's party.

I have seen people running after waiters and/or taking 5 or 6 drinks at a time of the waiter's tray :eek: This would count as a "pig troth" IMHO

My main priority when I cruise is not getting drunk. I do not have to have 20 drinks to enjoy and/or appreciate the captain's party. I also do not need to be drunk 24/7.

Nor do I, but the comment was made asking "how drunk" people need to get, and I was simply pointing out that you can consume quite a few of the free cocktails without even getting tipsy.

Archived