Best Way to See Santorini

narnia1

I have been reviewing these boards for several months and am wondering if renting a car is the best way to see Santorini? It seems like the bus and taxis go to Oia, but that's about it. Is it worthwhile to rent a car and see some of the other towns or the beaches? And how difficult is it to drive the island? I looked at a car rental site and they say that they will meet you at the pier and I guess it will cost about $100. Also, do they have auto transmissions? Thanks for the advice.:confused:

I have been reviewing these boards for several months and am wondering if renting a car is the best way to see Santorini? It seems like the bus and taxis go to Oia, but that's about it. Is it worthwhile to rent a car and see some of the other towns or the beaches? And how difficult is it to drive the island? I looked at a car rental site and they say that they will meet you at the pier and I guess it will cost about $100. Also, do they have auto transmissions? Thanks for the advice.:confused:

Hi dear fellow cruiser icon12.gif

If you click on the "search" button at the top of the page (2nd row, 3rd from right) and type in "Car rental in Santorini", you'll find all kinds of posts - with ideas, advice and car rental sites. I was going to paste them all here, but it'd be too long.

See ya! Sheila

Hi- we are going to Santorini next week and I, like you, have been researching the boards and trying to make plans. One site I found was a tourist bus on Santorini that I haven't seen any mention of on here

http://www.santorinismartbuses.com/

I don't think we'll use it ourselves as we intend just going to Oia and Thira, but it may come in useful,

kate

I liked the freedom our two car rentals on our two port days in Santorini (one last September and one just last month) afforded us. We paid 40 Euros (about $60) both times for an automatic. (I cannot drive a stick shift.)

If you need an automatic, I suggest you pre-book for the day.

It is very easy to drive on Santorini once you leave the traffic congestion of Fira. Also there is free and easy parking everywhere.

As others have said, just do a Search and you will get a lot of information about car rentals. I have posted several times on this topic just this past week since my return.

• 3 weeks later...

I would caution you about Santorini and going off on your own. The only real way up, the funicular, does not serve many people at all. We were on Santorini last November on a 2000 passenger ship. Many of the passengers never made it up to the top because of the long lines for the funicular. We were amongst the first passengers off the ship and waited in line for a bit over an hour. But those who came after us waited much longer. Some gave up because there would not have been time once they got up there. Then, of course, there are lines waiting to come down!! There's not much up there anyway. Some shops, nowhere near as good as those even on Mykonos, which we loved.

I would caution you about Santorini and going off on your own.

The situation with the cable car will depend on how many ships are in port, where your arrival/departure fits in with the other ships and when you get off the ship in relation to others on your ship. If you know in advance what competition you'll be faced with for the cable car from passengers from other ships, it's pretty easy to determine whether it's worth doing Santorini on your own. In our case it was well worth it.

We too were on a ship with approximately 2000 passengers and were off by about 8 a.m., after the tenders had taken those on shore excursions to the port of Athinios. Our wait at the cable car was only a few minutes, and our day of exploring the island in a rental car was one of our favorites of our 12 day cruise. Rather than spend time in Fira, we focussed on other areas of the island and enjoyed seeing a variety of places as well as some incredibly spectacular views!

I would caution you about Santorini and going off on your own. The only real way up, the funicular, does not serve many people at all. We were on Santorini last November on a 2000 passenger ship. Many of the passengers never made it up to the top because of the long lines for the funicular. We were amongst the first passengers off the ship and waited in line for a bit over an hour. But those who came after us waited much longer. Some gave up because there would not have been time once they got up there. Then, of course, there are lines waiting to come down!! There's not much up there anyway. Some shops, nowhere near as good as those even on Mykonos, which we loved.
Santorini is one of the most beautiful islands in the Med, and while Thira itself isn't as pretty as Oia, there were many interesting shops and restaurants at the top. Our ship tendered almost 2000 passengers ashore too, but we never had any wait for either a donkey or cable car up. We did however have to wait an hour for a taxi from Thira to Oia so I too recommend renting a car here (which we did in Corfu and Katakolo)!

We also had no difficulty taking the donkey up the hill (and cable car back). We like using public transportation so we can be with the locals. Once you get to the top of the hill to the street, turn right and walk a couple of blocks to the bus station. We asked directions a couple of times and found it -- no problem. Caught a bus to Oia -- cost was extremely inexpensive. You can probably get to any destination this way. As everyone else has said, this is an amazingly beautiful island!

We also had no difficulty taking the donkey up the hill (and cable car back). We like using public transportation so we can be with the locals. Once you get to the top of the hill to the street, turn right and walk a couple of blocks to the bus station. We asked directions a couple of times and found it -- no problem. Caught a bus to Oia -- cost was extremely inexpensive. You can probably get to any destination this way. As everyone else has said, this is an amazingly beautiful island!
My only word of caution to anyone planning to take the bus or taxi (the taxi stand is is right next door to the bus station) is that the buses can be full and the taxis can be scarce. We were the only cruise ship in town but it still took us 1 1/2 to get from Thira to Oia because the buses were always full and there were no taxis available. After waiting in line at the taxi stands for at least an hour, we finally got a taxi to take us to Oia. Fortunately we had a long port day and weren't in a rush.

Santorini is one of the most beautiful islands in the Med, and while Thira itself isn't as pretty as Oia, there were many interesting shops and restaurants at the top. Our ship tendered almost 2000 passengers ashore too, but we never had any wait for either a donkey or cable car up. We did however have to wait an hour for a taxi from Thira to Oia so I too recommend renting a car here (which we did in Corfu and Katakolo)!

Do you have to have an international drivers licenses to rent a car?

Do you have to have an international drivers licenses to rent a car?

No, rental car companies never ask to see it. But if you have any interaction with the police in Greece and cannot produce one, you will pay a hefty three-figure fine. You easily can buy one at your local AAA office for $15, and it is good for a year.

Archived