Carnival to make a bid for Royal?

I was having a simple discussion of the issue with all due respect to your opinions. Make no mistake, your opinions are neither better nor more accurate than ayone elses & you have just as much right to express them as anyone else - no more no less.

I think you are over simplyfying ths issue. Whether Carnival Corp. will one day take over RCL is open for speculation and nobody can know with 100% certainty whether or not this will occur. People certainly have equal right to express whether or not they might think this would one day happen. However some people's opinions on this issue would definitely be more informed than others.

The point I have been making is specifically about the article (if you can even call it that) that the OP linked (that rapidly was removed). My point is that that particular article was 100% bogus/erroneous. I do not think the author was acting malciously, but clearly they misunderstood something they heard. Fortunately the article was taken down. It is not an opinion that the article was fiction.

The $35 share price mentioned in and of itself was enough for people with a good understanding of the market and RCL and CCL to realize that most likely the person writing that article accidentally took a joke someone made seriously and then wrote up an article thinking that what they were writing was actually being considered. Furthermore just look at RCL's debt-to-equity-ratio and (if you understand the signifiance of this) you would know that RCL is a very unattractive company in current market conditions as a candidate to be taken over. The "article" also referenced RCL's 52 week trading range as justification for the $35 price which no reliable source would ever do. The 52-week range, when a stock is well off that range for significant reasons, has no bearing on the current value of the stock. That would be like saying that Toyota might buy out General Motors for $15 per share because they traded as high as $16.35 earlier this year. It is nonsensical. Then throw in the anti trust issues. Then throw in that the stock price of RCL went down the first couple of days after this "rumor" (whereas if there was a whiff of truth about the rumor people in the know would have been buying up RCL with enough fervor to at least bump it up a few percent)! Then factor in that the article was removed shortly after it was posted. Then factor in that no business sources/investor sources have made any speculation about CCL considering a takeover of RCL.

When you consider all this it is not an opinion that the article was untrue, but there is no other reasonable/rational conclusion. Again this is not to say that people are not free to speculate all they want about what a takeover would be like, or whether down the road something might happen to make it a reality. It is simply calling the article the OP linked out for it was - bunk. :cool:

Agreed, the G W Smith case and then the young guy that brought a bunch of booze aboard Mariner. He was refused service at two bars and went to his room and continued to drink. He wound up jumping overboard from deck 4. The cameras caught it. We were on board a week or two later and talked to one of the bartenders that had refused to serve him. She was really shook up about it and said that the company took it very seriously. They were really leaning on the bar tenders to try to control over consumption, contrary to what the news media may say.

Like DC20C says, the grocery store "champagne" that RCI serves at the captains gala is pretty rough. We usually take one and walk around & sip, but that is about all. Years ago, they had several types of drinks to choose from including a few cocktails. I do not recall anyone getting out of hand, but it was a different crowd in those days. We were in our 30's and were considered young. I guess it was a more mature group. Now that I am older, I realize that overindulging just makes me go to sleep....

I think the combo of both cases coupled with one of the expose TV shows focusing on drunk sping breakers played a big part in RCI's decision on booze.

I thought the young guy on Mariner climbed up on the rail to vomit but in any case, the Surveillance camera picked it up. When his parents first viewed it, they were not going to sue but then the International Cruise Victim Assn. worked on them and they did file suit on the premise that RCI should be monitoring the cameras.

Back on topic, are you familiar with the publication that published the original story (Daily Cruise News) and pulled it. Are they a pubication who is good at checking their sources and is credible? They are a different publication from Cruise News Daily even though the names are similiar. Cruise News Daily has not published anything about a potential merger. This is the first time that I have heard of Daily Cruise News.

Sorry pal, this old cruiser will cruise more than once on the Oasis, Allure, the size to me IS exciting! Our vacation this year was to Hersheypark, not bad for an old fart. Some people are just mentally old and hate change, not me. :rolleyes:
We might cruise on Oasis or Allure also especially as it will be good for multi-generational. And we like cruising with Captain Johnny who is one of the 2 Allure captains. The pictures from the sea trials showing how open the aft and part of the middle of the ship look intriguing.

I think you are over simplyfying ths issue. Whether Carnival Corp. will one day take over RCL is open for speculation and nobody can know with 100% certainty whether or not this will occur. People certainly have equal right to express whether or not they might think this would one day happen. However some people's opinions on this issue would definitely be more informed than others.

The point I have been making is specifically about the article (if you can even call it that) that the OP linked (that rapidly was removed). My point is that that particular article was 100% bogus/erroneous. I do not think the author was acting malciously, but clearly they misunderstood something they heard. Fortunately the article was taken down. It is not an opinion that the article was fiction.

The $35 share price mentioned in and of itself was enough for people with a good understanding of the market and RCL and CCL to realize that most likely the person writing that article accidentally took a joke someone made seriously and then wrote up an article thinking that what they were writing was actually being considered. Furthermore just look at RCL's debt-to-equity-ratio and (if you understand the signifiance of this) you would know that RCL is a very unattractive company in current market conditions as a candidate to be taken over. The "article" also referenced RCL's 52 week trading range as justification for the $35 price which no reliable source would ever do. The 52-week range, when a stock is well off that range for significant reasons, has no bearing on the current value of the stock. That would be like saying that Toyota might buy out General Motors for $15 per share because they traded as high as $16.35 earlier this year. It is nonsensical. Then throw in the anti trust issues. Then throw in that the stock price of RCL went down the first couple of days after this "rumor" (whereas if there was a whiff of truth about the rumor people in the know would have been buying up RCL with enough fervor to at least bump it up a few percent)! Then factor in that the article was removed shortly after it was posted. Then factor in that no business sources/investor sources have made any speculation about CCL considering a takeover of RCL.

When you consider all this it is not an opinion that the article was untrue, but there is no other reasonable/rational conclusion. Again this is not to say that people are not free to speculate all they want about what a takeover would be like, or whether down the road something might happen to make it a reality. It is simply calling the article the OP linked out for it was - bunk. :cool:

Well written.

Yeah whatever...Point you seem to be missing is that everyone is entitled to their opinion and you ,at times,come accross as thinking those who don;t agree with you are idiots

Yeah whatever...Point you seem to be missing is that everyone is entitled to their opinion and you ,at times,come accross as thinking those who don;t agree with you are idiots

Curious what he thinks is the lesser of two evils.......bankruptcy, or a buy out. And how he takes either of these personally.

We will find out in moments. :rolleyes:

SIGH!!!!

I don't use enough flowery verbs and adjectives' date=' I guess.....nor do I fall prey to every sad story, implied injustice, complainer. I don't buy into "they are out to get me and my money" theories, or "it's my vacation and I can do what I want" statements, etc.

I can't seem to get the point across that it's impossible to hate an inanimate object and, therefore, I don't hate Oasis.....I simply think it's a huge folly that's going to cause a lot of problems forRCCL...and shove them closer to bankruptcy.....

It's equally impossible to hate a company.......therefore, I don't hate RCCL....I've cruised on them many, many times......I simply think that I can find a better cruise experience elsewhere.

Anyway, it's of no matter to me..... CC isn't my life, these are not my friends. We are all participants in an open forum where we are free to discuss, debate, disagree. It's fun...so I say "blaze away". It can't be that bad or I'd be on everyones "ignore" list and there'd never be any responses at all.........HA!!!!

There are a few others on here who are likewise plain spoken, to-the-point, sometimes blunt....so, I'm in good company.

Must be a Jersey thing.[/quote']

G'ma....Ignore the rude comments. You have as much right to your opinion on this board as anyone else! You have obviously cruised many different lines. I'm sure many on these boards value your opinion.

Mary

Regardless of anyone's personal opinion of Carnival, there is one thing that must recognized which is it that is a well run company financially speaking.

I agree with you...sorta. My opinion of Carnival Corp is vastly different than Carnival Cruise Line.

The Carnival people are up in arms that free booze has been removed from the Captain's welcome-back party.

That's because they don't realize it's (the free booze) been moved to the farewell party.

And then they added on a drink discount at ALL bars on the ship for the Captains gala, not just in the show lounge, and extended it from one hour to two hours.

That's because they don't realize it's (the free booze) been moved to the farewell party.

And then they added on a drink discount at ALL bars on the ship for the Captains gala, not just in the show lounge, and extended it from one hour to two hours.

When did Carnival start a farewell party? My last Carnival cruise was Dec. 2008. A farewell party sounds like FUN! I cruise on the Dream in Oct./Nov. so I'm looking forward to that!:D

You're kidding' date=' right?

Oasis and Allure are two of the biggest mistakes Royal ever made. While Oasis might enjoy a few good seasons because of peoples curiosity...no serious cruiser would do it more than once. Not many cruise vets are interesting in a floating shopping mall/amusement park....filled with "for-fee" venues.

Perhaps Dubai will buy 'em and dock them somewhere for a hotel resort.... They sure have nothing to do with cruising..other than that they float.[/quote']

Some one sounds bitter...

Where is this written? Because I have the "Serious Cruisers Manual, 3rd edition", and nowhere does it state the limit for restaurants.

Well said Sir.

And to quote G-Ma

"Could be....

But, I have the cruising history to be able to make an "educated" guess which is about all anyone can make at this time anyway...... "

Hmmm... Did you sail on the Titanic too?

Look, if you dont like the concept of Oasis then fine. Thats your opinion. Dont go on the damn ship then. The rest of us will, and will enjoy not having your pissy attitude aboard bringing us down!

Well said Sir.

And to quote G-Ma

"Could be....

But, I have the cruising history to be able to make an "educated" guess which is about all anyone can make at this time anyway...... "

Hmmm... Did you sail on the Titanic too?

Look, if you dont like the concept of Oasis then fine. Thats your opinion. Dont go on the damn ship then. The rest of us will, and will enjoy not having your pissy attitude aboard bringing us down!

well said. Oasis is getting more intriguing by the day!!

I will possibly cruise on the Oasis when the price drops. I won't pay $1000 to $1200 (inside cabin) for a 7 day cruise to ports I've already been to many times. Hopefully, after a year or so, the prices will drop to a reasonable (to me) price.:)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived