First time cruiser

ANC

My wife and I are going on the Seabourne Odyssey starting in Athens and ending in Istanbul. Any tips on guides and plans for the trip will be greatly appreciated. Also, any others on the same trip is welcome to introduce yourselves.

Alan

My wife and I are going on the Seabourne Odyssey starting in Athens and ending in Istanbul. Any tips on guides and plans for the trip will be greatly appreciated. Also, any others on the same trip is welcome to introduce yourselves.

Alan

Dates and duration??

If you are staying overnight in Athens, I can recommend the Athens Gate Hotel. Very convenient for the sites, very friendly and reasonably priced.

Dear Alan,

Some people forget that not everybody is an old hand at message boards.

There is a sticky about Referral Coupons that you may want to check. Hopefully you booked thru a TA. They an advise you. If you paid for your cruise with Amex Platinum your TA will get a tracking number and get you a $300. per suite shipboard credit. Ask your TA if they belong to any consortium that gives shipboard credit or any other amenity. These are not combinable with Amex but if you do not have Amex Platinum (or Centurion) you may still be able to get something.

If you are staying in IST I recommend the Four Seasons and my favorite restaurant is Korfez. In Athens I love The Grande Bretagne. Can't beat the location.

I am sure you will love the Odyssey.

Bon voyage.

Alan - my wife and I also booked this cruise recently to celebrate our 25th anniversary. We are spending 2 nights in athens pre-cruise and 2 nights in Istanbul post-cruise. I will let you know about hotels/guides as we go. You do so as well.

As to the OBC, review the sticky on referral coupons and see if you can get one from someone on this board - it is good for $400.

We are spending one night in Athens and two in Istanbul. Considered the Ciragan Palace Kempinski in Istanbul but will probably stay at the Intercontinental.;)

We are spending one night in Athens and two in Istanbul. Considered the Ciragan Palace Kempinski in Istanbul but will probably stay at the Intercontinental.;)

We really enjoyed the CPK..very nice. Be certain to tour the palaces..really wonderful. And take Valium before boarding a taxi..:eek:

My wife and I are going on the Seabourne Odyssey starting in Athens and ending in Istanbul. Any tips on guides and plans for the trip will be greatly appreciated. Also, any others on the same trip are welcome to introduce yourselves.

Alan]

We finish up in Istanbul but get on the Odyssey in Venice the week before. We are going to stay in Istanbul this time at the new Four Seasons (Bosphorus) for a day -- it is getting rave reviews and is at a realtively reasonable price now. In the past we have stayed at the other Four Seasons (Sultanamet) there with good results. We much appreciate the Four Seasons transportation so taxis are not required -- one of the worst cities in the world for taxi transport.

I must be the only person who never had an issue with the taxis in Istanbul. We have been there twice --first time stayed in the Fours seasons Sultanhamet and the second time as a very charming place around the corner called Yesil Ev.I would never stay anywhere other than the Sultanhamet for the simple reason that most of the sights are right there within walking distance( then you can avoid the cabs except for trips to the ship or airport).

Our favorite restuarant is Devili(it means camel)-- not many toursits but great food and a wonderful rooftop dining room when the weather is nice( it is about a five minute cab ride). My best suggestions are avoid the Grand bazaar -- a lot of the same cheap stuff made in China and instead go to the Spice market or visit the few shops down below the Blue Mosque -- great high quality pashminas for next to nothing. The guys usually carries two qualities -- 80/20(cashmere/silk) and 90/20. Go for the better ones -- only a few dollars more and much softer.Make sure you visit the cisterns. Quite eerie and magical -- felt like I was in the lair of the phantom of the opera.

In Athens, if you like elegant,personal boutique hotels check out Andromeda. It is a short metro ride( great metro system) from the ket tourist areas but very quiet and safe(across from the American Embassy).

We once cruised from Istanbul (no several times) but this one time, we were travelling with another couple. We already had our suitcases in the taxi, when I - and not the men - decided we would NOT drive with this particular taxi driver! He was so rude! I let him take out the luggage and all the others were just flabbergasted!

But I do like Turkish people...

Marja

Archived