How hard is it to get through security and board at Port Canaveral?

My wife and I will be travelling with our three kids. Our only other cruise experience was with Carnival out of Miami. The whole experience made me feel like we were a bunch of cattle being forced into a corral. Can anyone also help me prepare for the new ID rules since June 6th? Everything I'm reading says we have to have "certified" copies of birth certificates. I usually keep those in a safe. Has anyone gotten by with a photo-copy? Thanks. Can't wait. I'm just a worry-wart trying to make sure everything is perfect. I look forward to trying RC.

No photo copies accepted.

As for boarding at PC, depends on what time you arrive. We get there about 10:30am and are on board and eating lunch by 11:30am. There is usually a rush when they first open the doors to board.

passports, so we plan to use "certified" copies (I would rather use photo-copies). My wife's and my passports expired in '07, but I understand that is OK. We have our marriage license as well. Me are only travelling to the Bahamas - July 31st.

If Royal Caribbean is not satisfied with your certified or photocopied birth certificates, I hope you realize that they can refuse you entry to the ship. Seems like you're tempting fate to carry just copies. Are you able to throw away the money you have already spent on the cruise because you don't want to carry original documents? Birth certificates can be replaced if lost ... I absolutely would NOT tempt fate!!!!

And Port Canaveral is a very easy port to travel through ... they are polite and friendly, although if you arrive at peak time you can expect a wait. When we boarded Monarch 3 weeks ago we arrived at 1:30 pm and the regular wait was probably 30-40 minutes.

Hope you enjoy your cruise ... but please be prepared with the right documents!!!!

through Port Canaveral since the rule changes June 6. Can you give me a step by step account of how many gates we'll go through? Like I said, we'll have three kids to control, and one is a baby who is a handful at times (I've begged the wife to leave him home, but no luck). I get the message on the documents. We'll bring them the certified copies plus everything we have for my wife and I. I was wondering - does RC inspect the documents or does the Department of Homeland Security? I've read conflicting things on that.

through Port Canaveral since the rule changes June 6. Can you give me a step by step account of how many gates we'll go through? Like I said, we'll have three kids to control, and one is a baby who is a handful at times (I've begged the wife to leave him home, but no luck). I get the message on the documents. We'll bring them the certified copies plus everything we have for my wife and I. I was wondering - does RC inspect the documents or does the Department of Homeland Security? I've read conflicting things on that.

When you enter the facility there will be a security person checking your documents (tickets, passports and Birth Certificates). That leads to the x-ray machines where they do the obvious. Then it is up the escalator or elevator to the second floor where the actual processing is done by an RCCL contractor. They will need to check your documents again and swipe the credit card you will be using. From there you will go through another checkpoint where your sea passes which you were just issued will be checked. From there you walk to the RCCL contractor photographer station where you will have your souvenir photo taken and then up the escalators to the Monarch security station where they take your picture with your sea pass just prior to boarding. I believe you can register your kids at this point so they will have their ID wristbands issued. There will be lines so you should get to the port before 11:30 and you will be on board by 12:30 -1:00 PM. Have a great time!!!

When you enter the facility there will be a security person checking your documents (tickets, passports and Birth Certificates). That leads to the x-ray machines where they do the obvious. Then it is up the escalator or elevator to the second floor where the actual processing is done by an RCCL contractor. They will need to check your documents again and swipe the credit card you will be using. From there you will go through another checkpoint where your sea passes which you were just issued will be checked. From there you walk to the RCCL contractor photographer station where you will have your souvenir photo taken and then up the escalators to the Monarch security station where they take your picture with your sea pass just prior to boarding. I believe you can register your kids at this point so they will have their ID wristbands issued. There will be lines so you should get to the port before 11:30 and you will be on board by 12:30 -1:00 PM. Have a great time!!!

We were just at Port Canaveral and this is just what the procedure is. Everyone should have their passports by now (but certified BC's will do). Port Canaveral is one of the nicest, easiest ports we've every encountered...organized, and pleasant.

Does it matter who inspects what? :confused:

Neither photocopies of birth certificates, nor expired passports will be accepted.

The "certified copy" rule on birth certificates has been in place a long time before this year. The difference this year is that the birth certificates are now only accepted for "closed loop" cruises (depart and return to same US port), they are no longer good at land borders or any other kind of cruise, like they were before.

You'll need the marriage license to confirm change of name, but you'll still need the birth certificate, too. Marriage license alone won't do it, as it does nothing to confirm citizenship.

Note that these are all US regulations, not Royal Caribbean rules and they are certainly not local to Port Canaveral.

When ordering birth certificates, it is always a good idea to order two copies. The charge for the second is nominal if ordered at the same time. That way, if you travel with one, or have to part with one (like getting a passport -- hint, hint) you'll always have another one safe and available.

Make sure it is in fact the certified copy of the official birth certificate and not the cute one from the hospital as they will not let you board.

There is a safe in the room to stash the BC's after you board.

Make sure it is in fact the certified copy of the official birth certificate and not the cute one from the hospital as they will not let you board.

There is a safe in the room to stash the BC's after you board.

There are no safes from deck 7 down. We were just on in June and that is the case. We had to use a safe deposit box. We were on deck 7.

There are no safes from deck 7 down. We were just on in June and that is the case. We had to use a safe deposit box. We were on deck 7.

I didn't see the OP say which ship, if it is Freedom then all rooms have a safe.

one of those "last minute cruises" so we are scrambling. We didn't need a lot of this stuff four years ago, when we took or last cruise. My two biggest concerns are 1) losing our documents - we live in another state than where the kids were born and we are travelling a lot before the time of our trip. 2) Our baby getting cranky and causing an unpleasant experience for others around us plus raising our stress level. We are driving down from SC. (We'll be the rednecks with the very cute but loud toddler.)

one of those "last minute cruises" so we are scrambling. We didn't need a lot of this stuff four years ago, when we took or last cruise. My two biggest concerns are 1) losing our documents - we live in another state than where the kids were born and we are travelling a lot before the time of our trip. 2) Our baby getting cranky and causing an unpleasant experience for others around us plus raising our stress level. We are driving down from SC. (We'll be the rednecks with the very cute but loud toddler.)

did you see the statement that you can NOT travel with the expired passports so you and your wife will need YOUR certified BC's and photo ID.

There are no safes on Deck 8, either. Only 9 and 10. You can rent a safe deposit box at Guest Services if you're concerned about your valuables.

Two weeks ago I found PC to be very easy and quick at noon - you go through the bag screen as you enter the terminal, and it was only about 5 minutes to get through. Then it was up the escalator to check in, which was another 5 minutes (it would have been quicker, but the woman checking me in was helping another person with a problem just as I approached her). After that, you can wait in line for a boarding photo or bypass that and be on the ship in another 2 minutes. The cabins are ready at 1:00, so if you time it right, you board the ship, drop your bags in your cabin and then can explore or eat lunch, whichever you choose.:)

But bring original birth certificates or certified copies thereof and current passports to make it all flow smoothly.

Don't forget to keep the birth certificates with you when you disembark -- you will also need these for re-entry into the States.

Besides the advice getting duplicate copies when you order them, I would also take a photocopy besides the originals with you. It is often recommended to take a photocopy of your passport too when travelling.

I wouldn't waste energy worrying about losing the documents any more than you worry about losing your credit card or car keys!

Have a great time!

OK, got the passport thing. Also sailing from PC in Sept. Will a certificate of naturalization work? My understanding is that an actual certificate will be accepted as proof of citizenship. (for those not born in the U.S.)

OK, got the passport thing. Also sailing from PC in Sept. Will a certificate of naturalization work? My understanding is that an actual certificate will be accepted as proof of citizenship. (for those not born in the U.S.)

Yes along with a photo id

Archived