Hotels in Hong Kong and Singapore

ScottToronto

Good evening from Toronto.

We have booked on our 14th Silversea Cruise for 2010. We need a recommendation for hotels pre/post cruise in Hong Kong and Singapore.

I would love to stay at the Peninsula in Hong Kong and Raffles in Singapore. Are they the best available? Does the Peninsula in Hong KOng offer free pick up at airport and drop off at cruise ship? A friend of mine recommended the Ritz Carlton Millenia in Singapore. I've always wanted to stay at the famous Raffles. It's between the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and Raffles.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

ScottToronto:)

The Four Seasons in Singapore has a great location right off of Orchard Road but doesn't seem as special to me as Raffles. My favorite in Singapore (and we can't afford it often!) is a harbourside, club room at the Mandarin Oriental. What a view! We stayed there for our 25th anniversary last fall and loved the champagne breakfast, afternoon tea, and cocktail hour. No need to go out to dinner, they treated us so well! Wish I was there right now sitting by the pool :)

The Peninsula in Hong Kong offers car service between the airport and hotel and hotel and the cruise ship terminal but they charge for it. It is a beautiful hotel located a few blocks from the cruise ship terminal. The rooms are very well appointed.

We happen to favor Ritz Carlton Hotels and stay at them often. We visited the one in Singapore while we were on a cruise last year. The only thing I wanted to note is that it is off the major path. We like to walk but it is for from the major areas. If I was staying in Singapore, I would look at other properties first.

Keith

The Merchant court in Singapore is worth a look its on clarke key and the metro.close to china town

give the Peninsular hotel singapore a miss it was called tarts are us.

Originally I was due to stay at the Merchant Court but there were no spaces left - guessing so close to Easter being the problem there (I arrive on Good Friday). So Costa shifted me to the Mandarin Oriental instead :)

• 2 weeks later...

ScottToronto, I can comment on both hotels.

The Pennisular is top notch, the service is the very best and the location is good for a first time visitor to HK. The hotel does have a fleet of Rolls Royces and they can arrange airport pickup for a hefy fee. Cruise ships can dock in one of two possible ports in HK, if the ship is docked at Ocean Terminal, it's very closeby. The other port is in an industrial area and is somewhat far from any area a tourist would stay.

The Raffles, sad to say, is one of the worst hotels I've stayed in. I've stayed in many luxury hotels worldwide. I found Raffles to be overpriced and overrated. Service was painfully slow. The buffet breakfast was nothing special, although it had a decent variety, the quality was quite poor. The grounds are well kept and delightful to walk around, our suite was a good size, the washroom was tiny. I've stayed in a few hotels in Singapore, I've have to say this was the worst. I was very disappointed with Raffles. It's location on Beach Rd isn't ideal either. I'd consider other hotels around Orchard Rd and Scotts Rd.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I agree with The Mandarin Oriental Hotel in Singapore, I loved that hotel, make sure you book a club room as the canapes and evening cocktails are well worth it. We booked afternoon tea at Raffles which was lovely but were glad we were staying at The Oriental:)

Good evening from Toronto.

We have booked on our 14th Silversea Cruise for 2010. We need a recommendation for hotels pre/post cruise in Hong Kong and Singapore.

I would love to stay at the Peninsula in Hong Kong and Raffles in Singapore. Are they the best available? Does the Peninsula in Hong KOng offer free pick up at airport and drop off at cruise ship? A friend of mine recommended the Ritz Carlton Millenia in Singapore. I've always wanted to stay at the famous Raffles. It's between the Four Seasons, Ritz Carlton and Raffles.

Recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Many thanks,

ScottToronto:)

Have you thought of the Langham Hotel in Hong Kong?

Good morning!

Thanks to all of you that sent me your recommendations for hotels in Hong Kong and Singapore.

Seems to have brought our choices down to 2 per city so far.

Hong Kong

Peninsula or Four Seasons

Singapore

Ritz Carlton Milenia or Mardarin Oriental (club room)

I understand the service at the Peninsula is the BEST but looking at the room pictures posted on tripadvisor.com, it seems a bit outdated. Have I just been looking at some bad pictures?

I appreciate your feedback.

Many thanks fellow CC's.

ScottToronto;)

countdown.pl?name=ScottToronto&date=3-4-2010&image=Beach-8&text=Hong Kong-Singapore, Voyage 4006.&ship=Silver Whisper

Have you thought of the Langham Hotel in Hong Kong?

http://hongkong.langhamhotels.com/en/photos/photo_gallery_rooms.htm

The location is great.

We have stayed on the club level of the Langham in Pasadena and it was amazing. They did 4 food presentations per day (breakfast, snack, afternoon tea and evening appetizers) and we had their pink champagne, pink lemonade, afternoon tea etc. They mainly buy historic properties but the rooms are all renovated. The California property used to be the Ritz Carlton.

On the Hong Kong web site:

"Few luxury hotels in Hong Kong offer travellers such convenience

The Langham Hong Kong is located in the heart of Tsimshatsui, Kowloon - one of the liveliest and most popular areas of the city with an outstanding choice of shopping and entertainment.

This Hong Kong hotel offers easy accessibility to all points of the city and China via links to important transport networks:

• 40 minutes from Hong Kong International Airport

• 5 minute walk to the historic Star Ferry, then a 10-minute harbour crossing to Hong Kong Island, the Central business district and the Hong Kong Convention & Exhibition Centre in Wanchai

• 5 minute walk to Tsimshatsui MTR Station with connections to all major urban areas, the airport and mainland China

• 10 minute walk to the China Ferry Terminal with ferry services to Pearl River Delta cities Macau, Zhuhai, Zhongshan, Shunde and Panyu

Among hotels in Hong Kong, only The Langham is a member of the prestigious Leading Hotels of the World and the perfect choice for leisure, business and events within luxury hotels in Hong Kong."

Archived