Should I be responsible or cruise?

ManyMore

I have always wanted to do some sort of back to back cruise. I found what I think is the perfect one for us out of NO in September. We have friends doing another cruise on another line I don't really care for and their drink prices are much higher but they want us to join them. That cruise is from a port a half hour away. The B2B out of New Orleans would be $200 LESS with airfare for 9 days not 7 days and cheaper drinks. Now to me which to choose is a no brainer.... but now HERE is the catch! I am currently unemployed except for the hours I am allowed to work with my unemployment. At the moment I am actually making a tiny bit more then when I was employed. So.... now that I have the time to go should I since once I get a new job I probably won't have vacation for a year or... not go because I am unemployed?

Not really sure any of us would know the right answer, only you know your financial situation and if cruising will impact it negatively or not. If it were me I wouldn't cruise if I was unemployed but I tend to stress a lot so that might just be me :) Good luck in the job hunt :D

At first, I looked at the title of this thread and thought... wow... this is the wrong place to ask if you should be responsible!!

Well, after reading your post there's NO doubt that sailing from NOLA IS the responsible, and fun, thing to do...

GO FOR IT!!

:D

I think it depends on your savings? Do you have enough to cover the trip saved up and put away for a rainy day .... then this would be a good rainy day.

If you are living check to check, then I wouldnt. Hope you get to cruise, but do what you can afford if money is a issue.

I would probably cruise---I know I would:D especially since I would have a check waiting on me when I got back---you will get your unemployment check right?? If it wouldn't put the burden on bills being paid, etc. I would definately enjoy while you can. Like you said when you do get another job you would have to work awhile before you got a vacation----Go for it!!!:)

You could tell yourself it's the ultimate networking session. You might, just MIGHT meet someone on board who can find you a job.

(Not recommended that you network after having more than one DOD)

You never know...

CeleBrat

I am cleverly disguised as a responsible adult. :D

Look at my signature. Three trips booked within the next year. Not counting land based trips.

I always tell myself that I should enjoy life NOW! What if I dont live to be 65 and retire? I wont be one to lay on my death bed wishing I had done this or that.

If your budget allows then go for it!

Just remember that if you get a job, you will probably have to wait at least 6 months before taking a vacation. Can you wait that long? Will it cause a financial hardship that you won't easily recover from? If the amswer was "no" to both question then I say go for the NOLA cruise.

My DH and I both worked at the same place (a hospital) last year when we found out how in the hole we were, a group came and took us over and boy, did they ever clean house! I didnt get hit at all (work in Psych) but DH got laid off (carpenter). We already had a cruise planned for August (this was June). I made enough to pay all our house bills and our cruise was already paid for. I only had to pay for airfare and anything on the ship. Thanks to having such low bills (even with a mortgage) we had enough in savings that we went and had a blast!

We never know what the next day will bring - take care of your expenses and then if you have enough left - by all means CRUISE. Just because you are unemployed doesn't mean you have to stop living. Being responsible is important. Being responsible also means taking care of not only your financial obligations but the obligation to keep yourself healthy - physically and mentally. A cruise is a great way to de-stress and gear up for what tomorrow brings. Have a great time!

As long as you can meet your obligations with the unemployment folks why not? If you will not be able to do the required job searches then you might have to take care of business and wait. With that said, you stated that you were making slightly more money in your current situation, so go for it. The trip might just clear your head. Enjoy.

As long as doing the cruise will not cause you to lose your house or automobiles, I think you should go on the cruise. We only get to live once, it is up to us to make the best of what we have.

unemployment..my hubby had a problem with that, and could not collect the time he came to stay with me(from another state), as he reported his "not working" status, and they recognized the out of area phone #..it stopped, but was resumed, 2 weeks after he returned to his home base..be mindful of uncle!

Not sure what your state's rules are, but in many states, receiving unemployment has the obligation of being available for work. If that is the case for you, then I would think you would NOT be eligible for unemployment and would be subject to legal penalties if you claimed it while you were on a cruise.

I would suggest calling the state and telling them your plans and see what they say. Or you could just do what many posters seem to be advocating; Steal some money from the state and have a good ol' time at taxpayers expense.

Calling the local unemployment office to let them know you will be out of town for the given amount of time is a good idea. I wouldn't tell them why I was going to be gone, it's really none of their business. This way you are covering yourself legally if the benefits are not in order if you are out of town.If the benefits stop during that time, so be it.

Archived