Cutback Conversation..... I'm curious

sail7seas

[quote name='suse']Yeah. But you could order 16 lobster tails if you want. Who cares.
[/quote]
Good theory...but not reality. I've heard people say this and heard many were turned down. My experience has also been that the lobster are about as big as shrimp. Others have reported differently. It remains to be seen when I cruise again with HAL in Oct.

[quote name='suse']They are teeney tiny.[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Are they? The last time we were on a HAL ship they were regular sized lobster tails. When did you last sail? Just wondering when things changed.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Smooth Sailing! :):):)[/FONT]

This past December. But, I need to add that I live on the coast of Rhode Island and we eat big lobsters frequently, so it's not fair to compare the sizes really. It's not unusual for us to purchase 2 to 2 and one half pound lobsters for a meal. The ones on board are about one pound I would guess.

[quote name='lorekauf']Good theory...but not reality. I've heard people say this and heard many were turned down. My experience has also been that the lobster are about as big as shrimp. Others have reported differently. It remains to be seen when I cruise again with HAL in Oct.[/quote]

Nov/08 on the Ryndam, the lobster in the Pinnacle was SO small it should have been re-named "micro food". It was also covered with some gross cruddy salty sort-of spice. Disgusting! May/09 on the Ryndam, the lobster tails were LARGE, and perfectly prepared, both in the dining room and the Pinnacle. I hope you luck into the larger version :)

[quote name='CowPrincess']

So what I'm getting from this is that most lines ARE experiencing cutbacks to some degree. [B]S7S,[/B] did you post this same question on other boards?[/quote]

[B] No, CowPrincess.

I didn't post the question on other boards as I almost never go to any other cruise line board.

I think I might go take a look at a few of them to see if any are having this sort of conversation.

[/B]

Hi Sail
Sorry to hijack your thread but I remember you bemoaning the fact some time ago that whole grain foods were scarce on board. I'm doing a med cruise in two weeks and hope that the situation has changed somewhat. Do you have any recent news on the whole grains front? Thanks so much and sorry once again to post off topic...just saw your post and thought to ask you while you were "on-board"!
Susan

[quote name='BruceMuzz']A good topic for a CC Poll:

Who is cutting back the most, the Cruise Lines or the Passengers?[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="4"]Perhaps if the major cruiseline CEO's hadn't been playing "Who's Got The Biggest" amongst themselves like prepubescent schoolboys and overbuilt/supersized their fleets during the bubble economy - and had instead focused on the basics like service and customer satisfaction enabling them to consistently sell out their cruises without massive discounting or expensive advertising, there would be no need to cut back services now that the bubble has burst since there wouldn't be a surplus of ships and staterooms to fill every week.[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='shoresofsuperior']Hi Sail
Sorry to hijack your thread but I remember you bemoaning the fact some time ago that whole grain foods were scarce on board. I'm doing a med cruise in two weeks and hope that the situation has changed somewhat. Do you have any recent news on the whole grains front? Thanks so much and sorry once again to post off topic...just saw your post and thought to ask you while you were "on-board"!
Susan[/quote]

[B]Hi Susan.[/B]

[B]Sadly...... still no whole wheat pasta and no baked sweet potatoes. They served 'brown' rolls at dinner the steward said were wheat. I don't think they were whole wheat. [/B]

[B]On the other hand, they had high fiber cereals, the wonderful whole grain crackers (that come individually packaged two to a packet) in the cracker basket for lunch and dinner. [/B]

[B]I didn't notice any increase in whole grains/whole wheat.[/B]

[quote name='bepsf'][FONT=Garamond][SIZE=4]Perhaps if the major cruiseline CEO's hadn't been playing "Who's Got The Biggest" amongst themselves like prepubescent schoolboys and overbuilt/supersized their fleets during the bubble economy - and had instead focused on the basics like service and customer satisfaction enabling them to consistently sell out their cruises without massive discounting or expensive advertising, there would be no need to cut back services now that the bubble has burst since there wouldn't be a surplus of ships and staterooms to fill every week.[/SIZE][/FONT][/quote]

Yes but look at the rewards they reaped. They now have people paying $289 for a 7 night Alaskan cruise,and reporting back to us,that the food wasn't Ritz Carlton standard.:rolleyes:

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Hi Susan.[/B]

[B]Sadly...... still no whole wheat pasta and no baked sweet potatoes. They served 'brown' rolls at dinner the steward said were wheat. I don't think they were whole wheat. [/B]

[B]On the other hand, they had high fiber cereals, the wonderful whole grain crackers (that come individually packaged two to a packet) in the cracker basket for lunch and dinner. [/B]

[B]I didn't notice any increase in whole grains/whole wheat.[/B][/quote]

Thanks, Sail, I'll be sure to look for the crackers, anyway!

[quote name='sail7seas'][B]Seeing as we are (again) having a conversation about cutbacks people are reporting they have experienced on HAL ships, I am curious to hear from those who cruise other lines in addition to HAL if they have seen cutbacks on other cruise lines as well? [/B]

[B]We now sail HAL exclusively and fully intend to continue doing so. I'm interested to hear from those who sail "X" and RCI and Princess and Cunard etc to report if they have seen cutback on those cruise lines.[/B]

[B]It's hard for me to imagine any of them can offer prices people are willing to pay in this economy and not have changes.[/B]

[B]Thanks.[/B][/quote]

Good question sail,

Since my wife and I have been alternating between Celebrity and Holland America as of late I've noticed a different approach to the economic down turn.
HAL has made some cuts; less workers in the Lido, no trays, less food, open seating..., Small stuff, but you can "feel" the difference.
Celebrity seems to be on a real up-swing with these new Solstice class ships. They have a real special feel, with great food and super service.

My concern is really the bottom line; I'm not sure Celebrity can weather this economic storm as well as HAL. Celebrity seems to be going all out to grab market share. I must say, the best experience I've had so far in 34 cruises was this past March on the Solstice. Five alternative restaurants, superior cuisine, all on an open spectacular ship!:)

By the way, I don't think you can compare ships based on Lobster size:rolleyes:!
If you need more, just order more. Neither line offers the great Lobster anyway. Just had a Lobster Roll in Bar Harbor a couple of weeks ago -- YUM!:D

Enjoy!
Kel

Were going on HAL in October to Hawaii because were boycotting RCI in protest of their cutbacks. We have been on HAL before but prefered RCI. Their cutbacks are over the top. Another cruise line gets business because of it.

Guest Ivenia
We primarily cruise with HAL, Celebrity and - after a three year lapse - Princess. Did the 27 day Ft. Lauderdale/Lima/Ft. Lauderdale Nov/Dec on the Statendam. Whilst many might nitpick about cosmetic defects on this older ship, we loved her. Had a wonderful trio in the Ocean Bar. We are booked on the Volendam, 41 days Hong Kong/Sydney end of October. Wonderful itinerary.

We love Celebrity. Unfortunately, they do not do the itineraries we enjoy. Had a wonderful cruise on the Mercury, Hawaii/Sydney, a couple of years ago on their maiden voyage to that part of the world. Regrettably, they pulled out of that market the next year.

Princess - loved it before Carnival took it over, and then found major declines in all areas of that product. The 3-yr. ago cruise was on the Pacific Princess, Singapore/Capetown. Fabulous Indian Ocean itinerary. The food was terrible. I could go on and on about what else was wrong. Suffice it to say we were done with Princess after that cruise. UNTIL we got a deal this April/May on the Emerald Princess translantic, followed by the 10 day Baltic. We were nervous about it, but happily found that Princess is back. The food was as good as any HAL experience or Celebrity (couldn't tell you about the lobster). We felt the finish throughout the ship was outstanding, and our mini-suite the nicest stateroom we have ever had. Include the perks (we are Elite) - and yes they do matter to us - more free minutes than we could use on the internet (1000 I think - considered two cruises), all laundry and dry cleaning free (and they do a very good job with it), two free mini-bar setups, etc. We are eagerly looking forward to cruising again with Princess, probably in the Spring.

In summation, we are enjoying cruising as much as ever. Non attention to birthdays & anniversaries are of no consequence to us - do not affect the overall cruise experience.

Archived