New San Diego Cruise Ship Terminal

LordSpain

Leaving from San Diego is always a nice experience! :) More power to the city for building a new terminal. That's only going to enhance their current position as the #1 cruise port in So Cal. The knuckleheads that run the port of L.A. can learn a lot from their neighbors down south!

Oh John: I am going to have to sail from L.A. this coming September, and believe me I, am not looking forward to that experience.

I lived in L.A. for about 10 years many, many moons ago and loved it but then fate (and the U.S. Navy) sent me south to San Diego, where I found out just how wonderful Southern California can be - lucky me!

Valerie:D

Oh John: I am going to have to sail from L.A. this coming September, and believe me I, am not looking forward to that experience.

I lived in L.A. for about 10 years many, many moons ago and loved it but then fate (and the U.S. Navy) sent me south to San Diego, where I found out just how wonderful Southern California can be - lucky me!

Valerie:D

Are you leaving from San Pedro or Long Beach, Val? The Navy (and to a smaller extent, the Corps) used to be here at Naval Station Long Beach/Long Beach Naval Shipyard but that was a while back. That space is pretty much all Chinese-owned now

Are you leaving from San Pedro or Long Beach, Val? The Navy (and to a smaller extent, the Corps) used to be here at Naval Station Long Beach/Long Beach Naval Shipyard but that was a while back. That space is pretty much all Chinese-owned now

Hi John - I'm not sure if we are leaving from San Pedro or Long Beach but I will check it out.

As far as the U.S. Navy (and to a smaller extent, the Corps) being at Naval Station Long Beach - where do you think I met my husband? (in 1972) - oh happy, happy day:D! I was invited to a party at the Officers' Club in Long Beach and there he was - the man of my dreams. Actually, I wasn't overly impressed with him the night we met but after our first "real date" I was definitely in love, and it was a love affair that lasted for 31 years.

Valerie:)

Oh you will still be able to do that - never fear.

I have never had to use that awful "tent" thingie, but a couple of years ago I was leaving on a Zaandam cruise (turned out to be a fantastic cruise by the way) and arrived at my usual 2:30 p.m. in order to avoid the crowds. OMG - there was some huge Carnival ship in port also and the port personnel had absolutely no idea of how to handle the crowds (mostly for the huuuuuge Carnival ship). We were all directed into the same line, which seemed to stretch for miles.

Despite the fact that I stood in that line in the sun for at least an hour (and I avoid the sun as much as is possible) I did have a ton of fun chatting with the family in front of me (mom, dad and 4 kids) and a couple of wonderfully funny and nice gay guys behind me. I hate standing in line, but if one has to stand in line then these would be the people I would want to be with. Loooong story stort: finally some man exited the terminal and started shouting "Zaandam passengers?" I was having so much fun with my in line neighbors that I missed it until one of the guys said "hey Valerie, they are calling your name". We all exchanged hugs and wishes for a great cruise and then I was on my way to board the Zaandam.

Once inside the terminal it was very easy to go through the HAL line (for one thing we were a much smaller ship) but the Carnival passengers were also going through the same terminal (so what was the tent thingie being used for?).

This is honestly the only time I have ever had to wait in line in San Diego, but it wasn't nearly as bad as one would think, thanks to the fun, kind and patient people I was in line with.

Once again, San Diego is a great port to visit - almost downtown with so many attractions close by; really friendly "natives" and the weather is almost always wonderful. The new port facilities are long overdue and will not only add to the local economy but will be appreciated by all the cruise ship visitors to our fair city. Have a wonderful time here and know that we are truly happy to welcome you. When we say "have a nice day" take it seriously, we really mean it. We do, so why wouldn't wish the same thing for you?

Valerie:

I love your city, it is ideal place to live after retirement.

We have visited your city many times. We will do it again in coming January when we take a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Having saying all the nice things about your city, I want to tell you that my brother lives there too. :D

Ricky

Valerie:

I love your city, it is ideal place to live after retirement.

We have visited your city many times. We will do it again in coming January when we take a Mexican Riviera cruise.

Having saying all the nice things about your city, I want to tell you that my brother lives there too. :D

Ricky

Hi Ricky:

It seems that I have become a one-woman champion of our fair city - but what's not to love? Great weather, friendly people, 70 miles of beaches (San Diego County) and lots going on all the time.

The downside? Those darned wildfires (and they are scary - I have been mandatorily evacuated from my home twice in the last six years, but I did have a home to come back to); real estate incredibly high, although the prices have dropped during the past year.

I honestly can't think of a better place to retire to: for one thing, we don't have the humidity that Florida has and we are not nearly as dry as Arizona is. I'm sure that your brother would agree with me that this is a great place to live.

I hope that you have a wonderful visit here next January and that your cruise is one to remember (in the best possible way of course:D).

Hi Ricky:

It seems that I have become a one-woman champion of our fair city - but what's not to love? Great weather, friendly people, 70 miles of beaches (San Diego County) and lots going on all the time.

The downside? Those darned wildfires (and they are scary - I have been mandatorily evacuated from my home twice in the last six years, but I did have a home to come back to); real estate incredibly high, although the prices have dropped during the past year.

I honestly can't think of a better place to retire to: for one thing, we don't have the humidity that Florida has and we are not nearly as dry as Arizona is. I'm sure that your brother would agree with me that this is a great place to live.

I hope that you have a wonderful visit here next January and that your cruise is one to remember (in the best possible way of course:D).

Valerie:

Totally agree with what you said, I wish I can retire there if I am an American citizen.

One of the reasons that I choose to visit your lovely city in January is to GET AWAY FROM MISERABLE WINTER WEATHER IN VANCOUVER. ;)

Ricky

That's great Woody, we will be disembarking there at the end of Nov after doing the Panama Canal(on Celebrity this time;))

hope you and Anne are well.

Hope to see you back on HAL soon...

:D:D:D

Where will the new pier be in relation to the current pier?

It will be located just two short blocks south of the current B St. Pier.

The new terminal will also be a very short walk to Seaport Village as well as the main downtown shopping area, e.g. Horton Plaza, Gaslamp area, etc.

What may have gotten our city Fathers off their duffs to get this project finally started is that about six months ago, Disney was looking to put a ship on the west coast. San Diego and the L.A. area were the two sites under consideration. The lack of adequate pier facilities here in San Diego to acccomodate Disney disqualified San Diego. So Disney signed a two year contract (I think, or something close to that time frame) to cruise from L.A. The rumor here is that Disney may relocate here in S.D. after we get the new cruise terminal built (hopefully within 18 months).

What got us started cruising was when San Diego finally had a regularly scheduled Mexican Riviera cruise every week. Six years ago we did the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam ...and we were hooked. This Nov. we will be doing our second Panama Canal cruise (19 day) on the Oosterdam terminating in San Diego. Our previous P.C. cruise was about 4 years ago on Royal Caribbean also terminating in San Diego. I guess we are spoiled only cruising on ships that terminate here (at least so far). Since one of our kids picks us up when the ship arrives at the terminal, we are home in 20 minutes and thinking about our next cruise. Hey isn't that what retirement is all about?

Bob

It will be located just two short blocks south of the current B St. Pier.

The new terminal will also be a very short walk to Seaport Village as well as the main downtown shopping area, e.g. Horton Plaza, Gaslamp area, etc.

What may have gotten our city Fathers off their duffs to get this project finally started is that about six months ago, Disney was looking to put a ship on the west coast. San Diego and the L.A. area were the two sites under consideration. The lack of adequate pier facilities here in San Diego to acccomodate Disney disqualified San Diego. So Disney signed a two year contract (I think, or something close to that time frame) to cruise from L.A. The rumor here is that Disney may relocate here in S.D. after we get the new cruise terminal built (hopefully within 18 months).

What got us started cruising was when San Diego finally had a regularly scheduled Mexican Riviera cruise every week. Six years ago we did the Sea of Cortez on the Ryndam ...and we were hooked. This Nov. we will be doing our second Panama Canal cruise (19 day) on the Oosterdam terminating in San Diego. Our previous P.C. cruise was about 4 years ago on Royal Caribbean also terminating in San Diego. I guess we are spoiled only cruising on ships that terminate here (at least so far). Since one of our kids picks us up when the ship arrives at the terminal, we are home in 20 minutes and thinking about our next cruise. Hey isn't that what retirement is all about?

Bob

I think you're right on with the Disney contract, Bob. When that two yr contract is up, your new terminal will be calling and Disney will be listening! Where San Diego will always have L.A. is that in L.A. (San Pedro & Long Beach) there is absolutely nothing to do within walking distance of the cruise terminals (besides maybe a visit to the Queen Mary in LB).

The L.A. City council/Dept. of Harbors has been dragging their feet for more than ten years to get their caca together and to get funding and develop the cruise terminal area in Pedro. All they've done in that time is some cosmetic landscaping. In order to 'see the sights' in L.A., cruise ship pax need to get on a bus. In San Diego, you can walk (or get on a trolley) to all kinds of stuff to see and do. L.A. won't learn! Now, there are grandiose plans in some vault to built a new cruise terminal in the 'outer harbor' so no where near Ports 'o Call village (which, btw, has been near vacant for the same ten yrs)

................. Now, there are grandiose plans in some vault to built a new cruise terminal in the 'outer harbor' so no where near Ports 'o Call village (which, btw, has been near vacant for the same ten yrs)

Wow, I had no ideas that Ports 'o Call village was in such bad shape. I used to love going there back in the day and it was always bustling with people.

When my best friend got married she had her wedding reception there. I seem to recall that it was aboard a small vessel that did harbor cruises but we never set sail - just had a grand old time without ever leaving the dock.:D

Valerie

I forgot to mention John, that you are so right about there being absolutely nothing to do around the ports of Long Beach and San Pedro. I always warn people who tell me that are excited about ending their cruise there that they are going to have to go at least 20 miles before they see anything worth seeing.

Wow, I had no ideas that Ports 'o Call village was in such bad shape. I used to love going there back in the day and it was always bustling with people.

When my best friend got married she had her wedding reception there. I seem to recall that it was aboard a small vessel that did harbor cruises but we never set sail - just had a grand old time without ever leaving the dock.:D

Valerie

I forgot to mention John, that you are so right about there being absolutely nothing to do around the ports of Long Beach and San Pedro. I always warn people who tell me that are excited about ending their cruise there that they are going to have to go at least 20 miles before they see anything worth seeing.

Ports 'o Call has been in a downward spiral for a while now. You're right, it used to be a fun place to spend some time

I too did not know that Port of Call in San Pedro had pretty much become a Ghost Town. How sad, I remember some 25 years ago it being very similiar to Sea Port Village and it was fun to spend the evening at. Go on a little Boat Excursion and have dinner.:)

Archived