New San Diego Cruise Ship Terminal

LordSpain

Forgive me if this is old news but I just ran into it and though it may be of interest to some.

Port Awards Contract for New Cruise Terminal Construction

In less than two years, Broadway Pier on San Diego Bay will be home to a new, modern cruise ship terminal. A construction contract was awarded last week to Jaynes Corporation, a construction company with offices throughout the southwest.

Jaynes Corporation, which received the go-ahead by the Board of Port Commissioners, will begin construction on the 52,000-square foot cruise ship building early next month. The construction contract also includes a mobile passenger gangway and seismic improvements to the pier.

Designed by Bermello Ajamil and Partners, Inc., the new cruise ship terminal will be a Leadership in Energy & Environmental Design (LEED) - certified building. The certification is a national recognition, which means it will be designed to use less water, less energy and produce fewer pollutants. The design features a unique "sawtooth" roofline and glass roll-up doors. The façade of the building will be all glass, giving the structure an airy, open feel. The estimated construction cost for the project is $21.1 million.

The terminal building will be set back from Harbor Drive approximately 400 feet. On days when there are no cruise ships in port, the public can access the pier and the terminal. A public space will be open in the back of the building, with an open pavilion providing views of the bay. On the second floor of the building, another area will be available for special events.

The new cruise ship terminal will assist the Port of San Diego with its growing cruise business. In fiscal year 2008, 297 ships called on the Port. The Port's main cruise ship terminal, located at the B Street Pier, can accommodate two cruise ships at a time. On days where three or four ships are in port, Broadway Pier was utilized as a temporary terminal. Passengers were processed in a tent structure set up on the back of the pier. The additional terminal will allow the Port to accommodate more cruise customers and remain competitive with other cruise ports.

The entire article can be found at http://www.portofsandiego.org/maritime/1615-port-awards-contract-for-new-cruise-terminal-construction.html

Bruce

This is not news to me since I live in San Diego but I do thank you for alerting future cruise passengers about what's to come.

San Diego is a favorite port for many passengers, and certainly crew and staff members aboard the HAL ships, since the cruise terminal is practically downtown and is an easy walk, or a short cab ride (depending on destination) to many of the wonderful attractions of our beautiful city.

Valerie:)

This is not news to me since I live in San Diego but I do thank you for alerting future cruise passengers about what's to come.

San Diego is a favorite port for many passengers, and certainly crew and staff members aboard the HAL ships, since the cruise terminal is practically downtown and is an easy walk, or a short cab ride (depending on destination) to many of the wonderful attractions of our beautiful city.

Sounds great, we will sail on HAL in January, 2010 from San Diego. We have to wait until next time to use the new terminal. :D

Thanks for the info.

Ricky

I believe you’re right – it’s the pier directly south of the one they’re using now. I think it’s referred to as the Broadway Pier. SDHALFAN would probably know for sure.

Bruce

Would that put the new pier between the current pier and the one where the USS Midway is docked?

Yes - It will be between the USS Midway and the old terminal dock! It is at the foot of Broadway, which is the main street downtown. My office overlooks the present terminal. The new terminal has been in the plan for years. Glad the Port District finally got moving on it. Laurie

The Broadway pier - between the existing cruise terminal and USS Midway - already exists and has for years. The port authority is building a new cruise terminal on the existing pier and it will be used by all cruise lines when there are only one or two ships here on the same day. If there are more than two, the intention is to use the current terminal for the third or fourth ship, just reversing the current situation. :)

Doesn't matter, as long as we can walk across the street from the Holiday Inn on the Bay! :D

Oh you will still be able to do that - never fear.

I have never had to use that awful "tent" thingie, but a couple of years ago I was leaving on a Zaandam cruise (turned out to be a fantastic cruise by the way) and arrived at my usual 2:30 p.m. in order to avoid the crowds. OMG - there was some huge Carnival ship in port also and the port personnel had absolutely no idea of how to handle the crowds (mostly for the huuuuuge Carnival ship). We were all directed into the same line, which seemed to stretch for miles.

Despite the fact that I stood in that line in the sun for at least an hour (and I avoid the sun as much as is possible) I did have a ton of fun chatting with the family in front of me (mom, dad and 4 kids) and a couple of wonderfully funny and nice gay guys behind me. I hate standing in line, but if one has to stand in line then these would be the people I would want to be with. Loooong story stort: finally some man exited the terminal and started shouting "Zaandam passengers?" I was having so much fun with my in line neighbors that I missed it until one of the guys said "hey Valerie, they are calling your name". We all exchanged hugs and wishes for a great cruise and then I was on my way to board the Zaandam.

Once inside the terminal it was very easy to go through the HAL line (for one thing we were a much smaller ship) but the Carnival passengers were also going through the same terminal (so what was the tent thingie being used for?).

This is honestly the only time I have ever had to wait in line in San Diego, but it wasn't nearly as bad as one would think, thanks to the fun, kind and patient people I was in line with.

Once again, San Diego is a great port to visit - almost downtown with so many attractions close by; really friendly "natives" and the weather is almost always wonderful. The new port facilities are long overdue and will not only add to the local economy but will be appreciated by all the cruise ship visitors to our fair city. Have a wonderful time here and know that we are truly happy to welcome you. When we say "have a nice day" take it seriously, we really mean it. We do, so why wouldn't wish the same thing for you?

Just wanted to say I have never sailed from San Diego but I have visited there and love the city. In fact I have said dozens of time that I could easily live in San Diego. It is so beautiful and plesant. I know my post has nothing to do with the thread but SDHALFAN is so proud of her city and from personal experience I want to say there is good reason. :)

Leaving from San Diego is always a nice experience! :) More power to the city for building a new terminal. That's only going to enhance their current position as the #1 cruise port in So Cal. The knuckleheads that run the port of L.A. can learn a lot from their neighbors down south!

Have sailed from San Diego several times and have always found the gangway very steep. Hope this will be corrected in the new terminal. Love the City but dislike that steep gangway.:)

Depends on which gangway you use. The large permanent gangway (north side of B Street Pier) is always kept level for passengers.

The gangway on the south side is moved into place by a crane, and rises and falls with the tide. Sorry you had to use that one all the time.

...a couple of years ago I was leaving on a Zaandam cruise (turned out to be a fantastic cruise by the way) and arrived at my usual 2:30 p.m. in order to avoid the crowds. OMG - there was some huge Carnival ship in port also and the port personnel had absolutely no idea of how to handle the crowds (mostly for the huuuuuge Carnival ship).

/quote]

Trust me, we knew how to handle it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

You can probably thank Carnvial Corp. for the new terminal.

They've ponied up millions.

I'm a proud San Diegan also. I'm orginally from "Winterpeg", Manitoba. I love this city. The people really, (for the most part) love our tourists. We are proud to show our city off. It also is great to live her, and leave on a ship from here.

...a couple of years ago I was leaving on a Zaandam cruise (turned out to be a fantastic cruise by the way) and arrived at my usual 2:30 p.m. in order to avoid the crowds. OMG - there was some huge Carnival ship in port also and the port personnel had absolutely no idea of how to handle the crowds (mostly for the huuuuuge Carnival ship).

/quote]

Trust me, we knew how to handle it.

Sorry for the inconvenience.

You can probably thank Carnvial Corp. for the new terminal.

They've ponied up millions.

Sorry if I offended you - it was not my intention, honestly. And to tell you the truth it wasn't that much of an inconvenience since I got to chat and laugh with those great people in line with me. Had they been a miserable bunch of whiners it would have been a whole different story, but most of us were already in a holiday mood.

Archived