submarine excursion advice

mtnprotracy

Hello again:). Here I am again with another question!! Have any of you ever booked the submarine excursion on Grand Cayman? We have booked this excursion based on the advice of a friend of mine. But in all my readings on the forum, I haven't read much about the submarine excursion. I'd love to hear from some of you who have done the submarine ride.

Thanks so much for all your help:D!

Tracy in NC

It is a neat excursionand worth the money. They have a tourguide onboard explaining things as you go by them.It is not that long of an ordeal which will leave time for other things like shopping or getting a Taxi and going to "HELL" kind of a tourist trap but the next time someone tells you to go to hell, you can reply I already have been.

Going on the sub is the hightlight of my cruise. I thought it was a blast. We saw everything. There's a lot of fish and coral, and we even saw a stingray. The deepest it went down is 101 feet, but its certify for much deeper depth.

It is a neat excursionand worth the money. They have a tourguide onboard explaining things as you go by them.It is not that long of an ordeal which will leave time for other things like shopping or getting a Taxi and going to "HELL" kind of a tourist trap but the next time someone tells you to go to hell, you can reply I already have been.

lol....I hadn't thought about that....thought about sending a postcard from Hell....cute:D

I will agree with the other posters, I took that tour last may, and it was a blast, the guide is very good at explaining things, there is even cards that show all the fish you may see so you can identify them.

well worth it, we loved it and will do it again

Is the submarine ride suitable for an elderly person with degenerative arthritis in the ankle making it stiff and hard to move. I am wondering if I can climb the ladder (steps?)

You know your limitations. It's a typical submarine ladder. You go down like a normal ladder. There are abou 6-8 steps, a little steep, but there are rails to hold onto. You sit on a backless stool and lean into your own personal porthole window. We did this in St Thomas, but it is the same company.

my family went on the sub in cozumel and we all really enjoyed it. we went down 121 feet. The water was crystal clear and we were close enough to the reef where if the windows were not there you could reach out and touch it. We saw plenty of huge fish, a large sea turtle and some sort of lobster. I would definately recommend it to anyone.

I have done this excursion in both Cozumel & St Thomas, and thought that each was the highlight of that particular cruise. The guides are informative and the sights spectacular. As for accessibility, when you exit the "ferry" onto the deck of the sub, the sub will likely have some motion. The cabin is accessed via a steep ladder with rails. Seating is on a padded bench with no back, and you will most likely need to lean forward to get the best view from the circular windows.

We just did this. It was a great excursion, we really enjoyed it. The sub went down 100'. We saw the coral reef and lots of varieties of fish, big and little. The water was so clear, you could see everything easily. The guide was great about giving information and pointing out the various kinds of fish to you. One thing to be aware of, since you are down so deep, certain colors become washed out--red in particular-- so colors might not be as vivid as what you would see when you snorkle.

As far as accessibility, I have a bad knee but was able to climb up and down the ladder just fine. I just took one rung at a time to avoid any issue with my knee "giving way".

As a non - swimmer, it was great to see what swimmer/divers get to see!:)

The ladder is a bit narrow with the same incline as a six foot step ladder. The sub crew was there to help any and all who had difficulty either going down or up the ladder.

As far as excursions go, I rank this right next to the "helicopter glacier tour" (you actually take the chopper and land on the glacier) - Outstanding :):):)!

i did this in st. thomas with the same company using the same type of sub. it was very intresting and excieting. i would not do it again, but was good once. however, be aware, because of the thickness of the glass, everything you see has a bluish, greenish hue to it. the fish do not look as colorful as if you were looking into an aquarium. most people along with myself had the impression that everything would be bright and vivid. not the case, but worth the one in a lifetime experience.

We did it in Grand Cayman about two years ago. Really enjoyed it.

No reason to do it thru Carnival though.

Get off tender walk right about a block and you are right there.

Other than a Carnival rep possibly leading you there they have nothing to add to the tour.

I did one of these in Hawaii and would never do it again. I was expecting the fish to have their natural color but everything was sort of neutral or darkish in color. I didn't think it was worth the money and have heard it is the same way in all of these submarine type of things. I won't do another one anywhere. Perhaps it is different in the caymans...but I doublt it. I will do something else when I am there this Sept.:)

Archived