Southampton pre Cruise

Cosmic Rays

Has anybody stayed overnight in Southampton pre cruise in a hotel and also been able to park their car there for the duration of the cruise? Is the cost comparable to Cunard's coach from the north or their own parking at the quayside?

Has anybody stayed overnight in Southampton pre cruise in a hotel and also been able to park their car there for the duration of the cruise? Is the cost comparable to Cunard's coach from the north or their own parking at the quayside?

I am going down by train from Manchester and staying overnight at the Ibis, which is very close to the station. I know there are hotels that offer free parking, but they are not cheap and also the only ones i have heard of are in Eastleigh, which is a long way out of town.

I got a good deal on the train (£65.00 return) and the hotel so it worked out cheaper than the Cunard coach and I get an extra day's holiday.

The coach is ok, but last time I got it the pick up was 7.15 at Preston so I had to leave home before 7. By the time I got to Southampton at about 1.30pm I looked half asleep. The good thing about a pre-cruise hotel is you don't need to get up early and from one of the Southampton Hotels you might even be able to see the ship. You could even walk from the hotel to the ship if your had to.

You may (or may not) consider the Devere Grand hotel cruise and stay package..

http://www.devere-hotels.com/offers/promotions/now-you-re-sailing

Myles, we stayed there last August and it was, despite some not so good reviews, very nice and the staff was both helpful and friendly. Friends on the cruise who were driving to Soton stayed at the Hilton where they could leave their car (at the time DeVere was not offering the cruise and stay package).

As a member of both de vere and hilton groups I would say both are very good, hilton is for the better deal, I think you will also find that holiday inn do a deal as well, there are hotel/airport/port sites who do an amazing price as well, google them.

We stayed at the Novotel, which was good value, and would probably stay there again. It was an easy walk to shops and restaurants. They have parking, but I don't know if they have a special cruise deal.

Lesley

We've stayed at the Devere, but don't use their cruise package, however, they've recently increased their car parking charges to £10 per day when not staying at the hotel. I'm just considering what to do for our next trip - it would be £127 for the cheapest room (inc breakfast) and parking will be £125 for 12 days.

Holiday Inn across the road is £228 including breakfast, parking and transfers.

Dockside parking is £106 for 12 days.

We like to stay over to make sure we are there on time and to see the ship arrive early morning. Hope this helps with your decision.

Regards

Sharon

We've stayed at the Devere, but don't use their cruise package, however, they've recently increased their car parking charges to £10 per day when not staying at the hotel. I'm just considering what to do for our next trip - it would be £127 for the cheapest room (inc breakfast) and parking will be £125 for 12 days.

Holiday Inn across the road is £228 including breakfast, parking and transfers.

Dockside parking is £106 for 12 days.

We like to stay over to make sure we are there on time and to see the ship arrive early morning. Hope this helps with your decision.

Regards

Sharon

Thanks Sharon,

It's a fine dividing line with petrol c£50 from Blackpool return + overnight hotel + parking as opposed to CruiseConnect costing £164 for both of us. Our experience of this last August was not good and we didn't get to Southampton until 3pm!! The coach used was old and the driver poor which I reported to them. Parking costs £109 at the port and that's the rub!! Don't mind a cost but not £100+!!!

We'd like to be in Southampton the night before really......................

My Boss and her Husband stayed at the Hilton before their QV Southampton-Venice cruise last summer...

...she said the staff were rude, they made her wait for their rooms while allowing other guests to check in, and the rooms in poor shape - and they're Hilton Gold Members (Or whatever Hilton's top status is)

My Boss and her Husband stayed at the Hilton before their QV Southampton-Venice cruise last summer...

...she said the staff were rude, they made her wait for their rooms while allowing other guests to check in, and the rooms in poor shape - and they're Hilton Gold Members (Or whatever Hilton's top status is)

One to avoid then perhaps!!

Hi,

we travelled from Knutsford on Cruise Connect and it was really good- a new coach at that time (2006) and we were in Southampton in plenty of time.

I was trying to persuade my husband to do the drive/hotel/parking etc but we have now decided to do Cruise Connect from Bolton ( a bit easier that Knusford).

The decision is based on cost mainly- we would need to park for more than 14 days but also the drive.

We enjoyed the coach last time so hope that we don't get the old one with a poor driver- in fact we had two jolly drivers I recall before. When I phone to pay I'll make a specific request that we travel in comfort with a good driver. :D

heywood

Just noticed De Vere Grand harbour rooms (2 people) with breakfast for £59 book by 29th July travel to 30th September no Saturdays (with some blackout dates) just put your night in and see with code (tzo) i just wish it was for October as i would have booked it in a shot.. Just thought i would mention this if it helps anyone sailing from Southampton...Hope this does nt break any rules. Good luck.

Fred & Sian

Thanks Sharon,

It's a fine dividing line with petrol c£50 from Blackpool return + overnight hotel + parking as opposed to CruiseConnect costing £164 for both of us. Our experience of this last August was not good and we didn't get to Southampton until 3pm!! The coach used was old and the driver poor which I reported to them. Parking costs £109 at the port and that's the rub!! Don't mind a cost but not £100+!!!

We'd like to be in Southampton the night before really......................

We travelled back from Soton to Blackpool with Cruiseconnect in April and also found the coach clean, modern and fine (we'd flown out to NYC so can't comment on the journey down). I know it may be a bit of a pain by train, but there can be some great deals. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

We travelled back from Soton to Blackpool with Cruiseconnect in April and also found the coach clean, modern and fine (we'd flown out to NYC so can't comment on the journey down). I know it may be a bit of a pain by train, but there can be some great deals. Good luck and enjoy your cruise.

So where are you in Bispham, Boo? We are too!

Hi

I have stayed at the Elizabeth House Hotel (http://www.elizabethhousehotel.com/) twice now, and intend to stay there again in the future.

It is a relatively small family run hotel. The rooms are very reasonable. They do charge for car parking - £4 night - and you have to pay for a taxi to the ship - around £7 each way.

They have a small bar/restaurant that does really excellent meals. The menu(s) can be seen on their web site.

The only downside is that it is away from the city centre. That doesn't bother me. If I did wish to hit the town, then I would have to drive there or try and catch a bus! Some fit people might actually be able to walk there.

There are two floors (ground and first) but they don't have a lift, but the owner/manager will help you (or your luggage!) up the stairs if you wish. Alternatively, you could ask for a ground floor room. A good breakfast is included in the price of a room.

Mark in London.

Archived