Afternoon Tea

k9mama

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I think tea will be lots of fun for my mom, my daughter and me to try. Of course, we will invite "the boys", too.:p I can't see my dad, DH or brothers being too excited to try it, but one never knows! It sounds like plenty of the guys enjoyed themselves once they gave tea a try. That's one of the best aspects of cruising for me: trying lots of new things.

Wow, thanks for all the responses! I think tea will be lots of fun for my mom, my daughter and me to try. Of course, we will invite "the boys", too.:p I can't see my dad, DH or brothers being too excited to try it, but one never knows! It sounds like plenty of the guys enjoyed themselves once they gave tea a try. That's one of the best aspects of cruising for me: trying lots of new things.

Get there a little early as it can be very busy. ;)

Afternoon Tea is a lovely experience.

Not many go, unfortunately.

You get to sample finger sandwiches, scones, pastries and cookies, sugar-free cakes, and fruit salad, while white-gloved waiters stroll around pouring tea or coffee.

Nice to try.

DD, granddaughter (5) and I went on our last cruise on Star and loved it. My granddaughter loves tea parties and she felt just like a princess. Our next cruise is DH and myself and he said he would go - I hope he likes it. Just an enjoyable experience.

Like the other poster my wife and I make it a point to get to tea. We found the princess food/service better then on Carnival, but Carnival had live music.

On most of our cruises, we've had live music at tea. :)

Afternoon Tea is a lovely experience.

Not many go, unfortunately.

You get to sample finger sandwiches, scones, pastries and cookies, sugar-free cakes, and fruit salad, while white-gloved waiters stroll around pouring tea or coffee.

Nice to try.

I've noticed a few people mentioning coffee or tea being served...is there a chance they would have water or lemonade? I don't drink coffee or tea (or beer or wine or...). :)

Besides tea and not the proper English way of serving this..

Nobody has said nor mentioned the social aspects for which this High Tea Time was created.

Meeting other Ship-Mates is great.

We love tea also, do it almost everyday of our cruises, and agree to only have TWO items of goodies of our choice NOT plates full (my fav's are a cucumber sandwich and a cookie)....but more tea if we want...if our table mates are fun...... if not we excuse our self and leave :D

do they offer Darjeeling? I like tea in London where each person can have their own

choice of teas. I can't drink Earl Grey, Breakfast Tea is ok, but I love Darjeeling.

And, is the cream with the scones real Devon cream?

If it is, sounds like the next best thing to Brown's Hotel.

Funny story. Was on the Golden in Feb. At tea everyone was wondering what kind of tea it was. I said, Lipton, but they all got bent out of shape. I asked one of the servers. He said "Lipton", I just smiled

I would venture a gross generalization (sorry, guys!) and say that once men realize there's actual food involved and not just tea, that's when their enjoyment really kicks in.

I've noticed a few people mentioning coffee or tea being served...is there a chance they would have water or lemonade? I don't drink coffee or tea (or beer or wine or...). :)

Oh definitely.

Afternoon tea is not just serving coffee or tea.

Ask for whatever you heart desires, I am sure they will be eager to please.

I would venture a gross generalization (sorry, guys!) and say that once men realize there's actual food involved and not just tea, that's when their enjoyment really kicks in.

LOL I was thinking the same thing - just need to tell my boys there will be food and they will be willing to go. :)

Oh definitely.

Afternoon tea is not just serving coffee or tea.

Ask for whatever you heart desires, I am sure they will be eager to please.

Thanks! I'm thinking I could get used to being pampered.....

I loved the afternoon tea, my husband and I dragged our daughter (age 12) and son (age 21) the second time we went and they enjoyed just as much as we did. By the third day my son was asking if we were going to join him at tea time! The scones were the best we ever had! Make sure you ask for at least 2. My daughter doesn't drink tea and asked for a glass of milk which wasn't a problem.

On a cruise, my kids and I always try to do at least one (as we call it) "Grandpa Memorial Tea". We drink with our pinkies in the air, and enjoy the various delicacies (however delicate they may or may not be). We have also done high teas in London... and at Disneyworld, which serves a great high tea in their Grand Floridian resort!!

My late father was a great aficionado of the finer things in life, and definitely would have enjoyed a formal tea at sea. It is our way of remembering him together.

I recall when we ate at home when I was a child, he would never allow us to put packaged foods on the table; everything had to be "decanted" into a serving dish (i.e., sour cream, ketchup, salad dressing, etc.). When he would travel, my mom and I would eat, standing up, in the kitchen, out of containers -- trying to break as many "rules" as possible, I guess!! (Not to worry, we do follow the guidelines at sea... I'm not one of those 'it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want, eat when I want' kind of people...)

My dad made at least one Atlantic crossing in the days when ships were the main means of travel, and even though he undoubtedly was at one of the lower service levels, I remember his stories of ocean travel as being nearly hobbit-like in the number of meals served... barely giving one enough time to rise from one's deck chair to get to them all: early breakfast, late breakfast, elevenses (yes, elevenses, to hold you until...) early lunch, late lunch, afternoon tea, early dinner, late dinner, and of course the midnight buffet... hmm, I wonder if he went to both seatings of the meals?!?!

I also remember him telling me that one could order multiple dishes, one of everything, or two or more of something one particularly liked. I believe that this is actually expected in cruising, not something to be frowned upon as gluttony or excess. I suppose if EVERYONE did it there might be a problem of supply, but I doubt that everyone has that kind of interest in food!

I will note one problem with afternoon tea: it always seems to conflict with the afternoon gym class offering (usually Spin class, my favorite) -- so I either have to forego this favorite cruise event, or rush in late and sweaty (or fresh out of the shower), with the waiters anxious to set up for early dinner... rather than enjoy tea at leisure, dressed nicely (yes, I like to dress up for tea) and relaxing before I stroll about the ship, perhaps taking in a show before my late seating dinner...

On a cruise, my kids and I always try to do at least one (as we call it) "Grandpa Memorial Tea". We drink with our pinkies in the air, and enjoy the various delicacies (however delicate they may or may not be). We have also done high teas in London... and at Disneyworld, which serves a great high tea in their Grand Floridian resort!!

My late father was a great aficionado of the finer things in life, and definitely would have enjoyed a formal tea at sea. It is our way of remembering him together.

I recall when we ate at home when I was a child, he would never allow us to put packaged foods on the table; everything had to be "decanted" into a serving dish (i.e., sour cream, ketchup, salad dressing, etc.). When he would travel, my mom and I would eat, standing up, in the kitchen, out of containers -- trying to break as many "rules" as possible, I guess!! (Not to worry, we do follow the guidelines at sea... I'm not one of those 'it's my vacation and I'll wear what I want, eat when I want' kind of people...)

My dad made at least one Atlantic crossing in the days when ships were the main means of travel, and even though he undoubtedly was at one of the lower service levels, I remember his stories of ocean travel as being nearly hobbit-like in the number of meals served... barely giving one enough time to rise from one's deck chair to get to them all: early breakfast, late breakfast, elevenses (yes, elevenses, to hold you until...) early lunch, late lunch, afternoon tea, early dinner, late dinner, and of course the midnight buffet... hmm, I wonder if he went to both seatings of the meals?!?!

I also remember him telling me that one could order multiple dishes, one of everything, or two or more of something one particularly liked. I believe that this is actually expected in cruising, not something to be frowned upon as gluttony or excess. I suppose if EVERYONE did it there might be a problem of supply, but I doubt that everyone has that kind of interest in food!

I will note one problem with afternoon tea: it always seems to conflict with the afternoon gym class offering (usually Spin class, my favorite) -- so I either have to forego this favorite cruise event, or rush in late and sweaty (or fresh out of the shower), with the waiters anxious to set up for early dinner... rather than enjoy tea at leisure, dressed nicely (yes, I like to dress up for tea) and relaxing before I stroll about the ship, perhaps taking in a show before my late seating dinner...

Your story is worthy of kicking off a thread all of its own. We have some cruise stories that link the generations of our family too. There are four generations of us now who share some very wonderful memories.

My late father was a great aficionado of the finer things in life, and definitely would have enjoyed a formal tea at sea. It is our way of remembering him together. /quote]

What a wonderful idea! Your post was just lovely. I am lucky enough to have cruised (and to be cruising again) as part of three generations of my family. The memories will always be priceless.

Besides tea and not the proper English way of serving this..

Nobody has said nor mentioned the social aspects for which this High Tea Time was created.

Meeting other Ship-Mates is great.;)

Though it sounds like a creation of the irrepressable Hyacinth Bucket (of the BBC's Keeping Up Appearances), High Tea originated as a British working class tradition. "High" refered to the way it was taken, sitting atop stools in a tea shop or standing at a counter or buffet table. It was a cross between afternoon tea and supper, and for many it was the main meal of the day.

High tea

High tea (also known as meat tea[5]) is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 6pm in the evening. It would be eaten as a substitute for both afternoon tea and the evening meal. It is now largely replaced by a later evening meal.

It would usually consist of cold meats, eggs or fish, cakes and sandwiches. In a family, it tends to be less formal and is an informal snack (featuring sandwiches, biscuits, pastry, fruit and the like) or else it is the main evening meal.

On farms or other working class environments, "high tea" would be the traditional, substantial meal eaten by the workers immediately after nightfall, and would combine afternoon tea with the main evening meal. See also The UK Tea Council Definition

Afternoon Tea

Afternoon tea was introduced in England by Anna, the seventh Duchess of Bedford, in the year 1840. The Duchess would become hungry around four o'clock in the afternoon. The evening meal in her household was served fashionably late at eight o'clock, thus leaving a long period of time between lunch and dinner. The Duchess asked that a tray of tea, bread and butter (some time earlier, the Earl of Sandwich had had the idea of putting a filling between two slices of bread) and cake be brought to her room during the late afternoon. This became a habit of hers and she began inviting friends to join her.

This pause for tea became a fashionable social event. During the 1880's upper-class and society women would change into long gowns, gloves and hats for their afternoon tea which was usually served in the drawing room between four and five o'clock.

Traditional afternoon tea consists of a selection of dainty sandwiches (including of course thinly sliced cucumber sandwiches), scones served with clotted cream and preserves. Cakes and pastries are also served. Tea grown in India or Ceylon is poured from silver tea pots into delicate bone china cups.

They will also deliver it to your stateroom if you're Elite too...

On our last voyage on the CB, I was a bit disappointed tho... We went on the day that we missed Bermuda and the dining room was packed. I think they had to bring in extra staff because alot of them didn't have white gloves on and seemed to be befuddled by the whole process. It took forever to get our scones. We didn't manage to get back to tea the rest of the voyage, so I don't know if service improved.

We were on that same cruise and I agree the dining room was really packed. I guess because we missed Bermuda everyone decided to go to tea. We were able to get our tea right away but everything else took forever. I was a little dissappointed but then I realized that it was just the circumstances and not really Princess's fault.

Jim..

thanks,Donna......I have tried to explain to my friends that afternoon tea is what we

go to at our local Ritz Carlton. Of course, one friend thought she would have lunch and

was horrified by what we were served. Now if anyone suggests lunch at a tearoom she

won't go. She has a somewhat hard head and won't listen to the difference between

afternoon tea and a tearoom. If it has the word tea she turns off.

Afternoon tea is one of the most relaxing and enjoyable occasions there are.

Looking forward to tea on Emerald Princess.

I just wanted to add in the tidbit that, for those that want to try the scones but are not that into the whole "tea thing," you can get the scones along with cream and jam at the buffet between 3pm and 4pm. Personally, I loved the whole tea experience. It was very laid back, and I really enjoyed the company and conversation. Since my DH had no interest in going, and that seemed to be a time when I could more easily grab a lounger by the pool, I only made it to tea once on my last cruise, but I stopped at the buffet for scones every day.

Michelle

My, "Mr. Macho", husband thinks that the "tea time" onboard a cruise ship is the best thing ever. He wouldn't miss one!!!!

There are two places that serve the very best High Tea's we've ever been to; one is the Ritz Carlton Hotel, in Laguna Beach, California and the other is the Beverly Hills Hotel!

Maam,

Thank you for the expansion of facts.

A lot do not know Lord Sandwich has the State of Hawaii named for him.. Sandwich Islands.

Here is something you may well appreciate and enjoy giving to others as well.

This is something of a different kind of Ship Trip. But made in America!

FREE:Gratis:

NASA Sends your name to Mars on a mission!

This is your chance to go to Mars (for free)!

Fill in your information below and your name will be included with others on a

Micro Chip on the Mars Science Laboratory rover heading to Mars in 2011 A.D.!

IMHO for your families and children. The schools and classes will benefit from/with this and all on an American Micro Chip aboard the ship.

http://mars9.jpl.nasa.gov/msl/participate/sendyourname/index.cfm

After you enter it you can print a Full Color ( Colour ) Print of it too!

:cool:

Though it sounds like a creation of the irrepressable Hyacinth Bucket (of the BBC's Keeping Up Appearances), High Tea originated as a British working class tradition. "High" refered to the way it was taken, sitting atop stools in a tea shop or standing at a counter or buffet table. It was a cross between afternoon tea and supper, and for many it was the main meal of the day.

High tea

High tea (also known as meat tea[5]) is an early evening meal, typically eaten between 5pm and 6pm in the evening. It would be eaten as a substitute for both afternoon tea and the evening meal. It is now largely replaced by a later evening meal.

It would usually consist of cold meats, eggs or fish, cakes and sandwiches. In a family, it tends to be less formal and is an informal snack (featuring sandwiches, biscuits, pastry, fruit and the like) or else it is the main evening meal.

On farms or other working class environments, "high tea" would be the traditional, substantial meal eaten by the workers immediately after nightfall, and would combine afternoon tea with the main evening meal. See also The UK Tea Council Definition

Afternoon Tea

Afternoon tea was introduced in England by Anna, the seventh Duchess of Bedford, in the year 1840. The Duchess would become hungry around four o'clock in the afternoon. The evening meal in her household was served fashionably late at eight o'clock, thus leaving a long period of time between lunch and dinner. The Duchess asked that a tray of tea, bread and butter (some time earlier, the Earl of Sandwich had had the idea of putting a filling between two slices of bread) and cake be brought to her room during the late afternoon. This became a habit of hers and she began inviting friends to join her.

This pause for tea became a fashionable social event. During the 1880's upper-class and society women would change into long gowns, gloves and hats for their afternoon tea which was usually served in the drawing room between four and five o'clock.

Traditional afternoon tea consists of a selection of dainty sandwiches (including of course thinly sliced cucumber sandwiches), scones served with clotted cream and preserves. Cakes and pastries are also served. Tea grown in India or Ceylon is poured from silver tea pots into delicate bone china cups.

Archived