Land Sickness-Post Cruise

rinkyd

After our cruise I really had trouble with re-adjusting to the land. This was not just sea legs - I was not sick at my stomach, but had a "brain fog", like it was very difficult to concentrate, and I felt like the room was off balance. This lasted a good 5 - 7 days - I am still feeling movement at times, and especially when driving. The rest of the family was perfectly fine. I have researched and read about the "mal de debarquement syndrome", but I would really like to hear from people who have experienced this - and I don't mean just sea legs after a cruise (and please don't tell me the cure is to take another cruise:rolleyes:). If you have experienced this have you gone on another cruise?....and what did you take or do differently, so as not to have this problem again?

My family would really like to cruise again and so would I - we had a wonderful time, but I am just afraid I would go through this again! Any help would be appreciated!

I've always suffered a TINY bit for a couple of days back on land. When we got back in May/08 from an Alaska cruise, I was a COMPLETE WRECK for about 10 days. It was intermittent, not ongoing. I was afraid to use the stairs, having fallen on them once and given myself some pretty serious bruising. About 10 days into this not so delightful souvenir, I was making the bed, got WHAMMED with it again, and fell onto the bed, where I stayed for about 1/2 hour. And that was the end of the problem for me.

The next cruise, I was VERY concerned about another long "hangover" but had almost no effects. The last cruise I did, I had only one (brief) episode when I was standing on a sloping floor.

After analyzing what was different about the cruises, the one cruise where I had what you have been experiencing, we had about 24 hours of exceptionally rough seas. So I think that it affected my inner ear/balance mechanism.

I've heard (but did not try) that decongestants can work on this problem.

rinkyd-did you take any bonine or dramamine before cruising? I'm curious as leave on an Alaskan cruise 7/25 and then land tour and am nervous about getting dizzy on land after cruise. I've only been on one cruise (mex riv) and did experience a little land dizzy after getting home and it was a short cruise. I plan on taking something before I go cruising however, probably bonine but not every day unless of course I need it. Thx for any reply.

I have also suffered from this. One time when I got home I stood up to go out the room and just fell over as I felt the floor had moved. Also when I go on shore at a place if I stand still I find myself swaying, as if on a boat. Strange isnt it.!

I almost always suffer from it for at least a few days after a cruise, and sometimes for weeks. What helps me somewhat: wearing sea bands during waking hours, focusing on the horizon, and driving (not riding in) the car.

Caro

Molly7 - I'm sorry, I don't want to make anyone nervous about sailing - we had such a wonderful time and no one in the family felt ill at all. No, I didn't take anything while on the ship. I wanted to see whether or not I would need it - I hate to take any meds unless absolutely necessary. We did have somewhat rough seas the second/third night, it rained with some thunder & lightening, but it didn't bother me at all and after that the rest was smooth. I thought I had it made...until I got home.:(

CowPrincess - Thank you for sharing your experience. We also did have somewhat rough seas the second/third night, but it was smooth the rest of the week. I too think it's affected my inner ear/balance mechanism. I was more concerned about that "foggy head" feeling - it was awful!! As far as the decongestant - is that to take while sailing or after returning home? I did try taking a decongestant, but that wasn't until day 6 after getting home, as my one ear felt a little funny and I felt like it might be moving to my sinuses. Don't know if it did any good or if it was just time that helped.

I was thinking that if I do give a cruise another try, I will definately try taking bonine starting the day prior and lasting until a few days after I am home!

Supposedly you take the decongestant once back on land. I too had some brain fog, but I more or less blamed it on not being able to trust the solidness of anywhere I stood :) I was SO bad that all I could think about was "am I going to tilt? am I going to fall?" so I didn't get into any complex logic problems until it had gone.

Definitely talk to your health care provider before your next cruise, and get their input, too.

I will definately talk to the doctor before another cruise. My brain fog was more trouble concentrating. We got back on a Friday, and I had ALOT of trouble starting back to work on Monday and for most of the week! I use a computer alot at work and I don't think that helped any either. Also driving, I felt like I really had to concentrate! The balance thing was not so much things moving, as when I sat or stood I felt like the floor was leaning and I could've fallen right off the chair!

My family really wants to go on another cruise in the next year or so. Hopefully it'll be like childbirth - I'll forget all the pain and just remember all the joy!!:D

My DW has similar symptons (movement) following our cruises (16 going on 17th in Sept) which last up to two weeks. She's fine before and during and doesn't suffer for motion sickness (in fact on our last excursion taking the 'vomit comet' from Cozumel to Playa De Carmen she was the only one in our group who didn't make friends with the baggies they passed out). Does nothing for the post cruise as it does go away.

I was hit with the same thing after my first cruise - it hit me whilst I was waiting for my bags to come off the plane.

I didn't know what it was I just had to put up with it but it wasn't a pleasant feeling. Just so happened I was at an apt with my nurse and mentioned it - she told me I had vertigo.

I was ready for the next cruise - armed with a PX from my GP..............but I didn't need it.

The first cruise was a small Thomson's ship, the second one Brilliance of the seas which was much bigger. I have done other cruises since and touch wood never suffered again. I honestly think my pr.obelm lay with being on a small old ship

rinkyd - sounds like vertigo - inner ear balance is off. This can be why it seems as if things are tilting. One tip I got from cruise critic board was to take Bonine after you debark for a few days to help with the symptoms of vertigo. I did this after my last cruise and it made a big difference. For an unrelated episode of vertigo, my doctor also prescribed the drug anitvert which is meclizine the same ingredient in Bonine, so it appears to be a treatment for inner ear balance issues.

I think the previous poster had a good suggestion - check with your doctor, too.

This happened to me after a MWA cruise. I was fine until I got off the ship, and then after about thirty minutes on land, I felt like I had been drugged. I couldn't stand, couldn't think, it was sooo weird. I checked in early to our hotel and slept the whole day away. Got up in the evening, and was a little groggy, but not dizzy/ditzy. From this I did learn to stay an extra night after arriving at port, just to reaclimate myself to terra firma.

rinkyd - sounds like vertigo - inner ear balance is off. This can be why it seems as if things are tilting. One tip I got from cruise critic board was to take Bonine after you debark for a few days to help with the symptoms of vertigo. I did this after my last cruise and it made a big difference. For an unrelated episode of vertigo, my doctor also prescribed the drug anitvert which is meclizine the same ingredient in Bonine, so it appears to be a treatment for inner ear balance issues.

I think the previous poster had a good suggestion - check with your doctor, too.

I was going to say vertigo as well. My mother has this problem when she travels. She will be taking her first cruise in August and is really nervous about symptoms flaring up. She's going to have a lengthy talk with her doc. I'm hoping everything goes smoothly for her!

I'm in the middle of this right now myself, after having disembarked four days ago. While on the cruise I had some ear problems (felt like a mild infection with pain in cold air and when swallowing) and while I'm a bit better today, the last few days I've felt like I'm half-drunk, and not in a good way. It's better when I'm up and moving around, but sitting still is the worst. I can't wait for this to be over; I may try the decongestant route.

I was fine on the ship, but was diagnosed with Vertigo about a week after our cruise. When we left the ship, I felt like I was still on the ship and it was still moving. My husband felt the same way, so I thought this was normal. His worse off, however mine did not. Then I started having issues with my balance, so it was off to the dr.

Dr. told me to take Bonine for about a week and this cleared it up. My game plan for next cruise is to take Bonine every night (it makes me drowsy) and take de-congestants every day.

I was fine on the ship, but was diagnosed with Vertigo about a week after our cruise. When we left the ship, I felt like I was still on the ship and it was still moving. My husband felt the same way, so I thought this was normal. His worse off, however mine did not. Then I started having issues with my balance, so it was off to the dr.

Dr. told me to take Bonine for about a week and this cleared it up. My game plan for next cruise is to take Bonine every night (it makes me drowsy) and take de-congestants every day.

oops, meant wore, not worse

It's a medical condition called "mal de embarquement" syndrome and many folks suffer from it. It can be cause by something as simple as a long flight or extended driving over a few days.

It is usually gone within a week.

Google it and you'll see everything you ever wanted to know about it, for sure.....:)

I had this after our first cruise for about a week. Didn't know what it was til I did more reading on CC. For our 2nd cruise, I tood Ginger Capsules. I took one in the morning & 1 at bedtime starting 2 days prior to our cruise. I continued to take it for about 5 days after our cruise. I did still have that "foggy" feeling sitting at my desk at work every so often but it was nothing like the first cruise. I was never sea-sick on either cruise & we had rough seas our last night. Some have mentioned the Ginger candy. I believe in the capsules.

MicksMom

It's a medical condition called "mal de embarquement" syndrome and many folks suffer from it. It can be cause by something as simple as a long flight or extended driving over a few days.

It is usually gone within a week.

Google it and you'll see everything you ever wanted to know about it' date=' for sure.....:)[/quote']

....yea and much more than you want to know! I had googled it while I wasn't feeling well - it only made me more anxious, as some people claim to have it for years!! I'm doing fine now, but it lasted for 7-10 days for me!

I'm in the middle of this right now myself, after having disembarked four days ago. While on the cruise I had some ear problems (felt like a mild infection with pain in cold air and when swallowing) and while I'm a bit better today, the last few days I've felt like I'm half-drunk, and not in a good way. It's better when I'm up and moving around, but sitting still is the worst. I can't wait for this to be over; I may try the decongestant route.

Hi Nizzie,

Not posted on here before but yOur symptoms are exactly the same as mine. I am nearly 3 days on from getting off the boat... I still feel a little 'rocky' when sitting still, a bit of ear pressure etc. Forst night was horrenous, was all over the place... are you over your now and how long did it last????? I have scared myself into a state on more than one occassion reading that this can last forever...

Anybody else with advice is much appreciated.

Louise x

As I suppose it has to do with you inner-ear being off-balance, causing thus that strange feeling, has anyone ever tried taking Betaserc? I had an inner-ear problem once, couldn't walk for days (had to crawl to the restroom) and had to take Betaserc three times a day. It did wonders for me and since the mal de embarquement symptoms seem to be the same as the symptoms for the disease of Meuniere. Maybe you should talk to your doctor about taking Betaserc (I think it's also called that in the USA). I'm taking my first cruise in september and I plan on combining Meclazine and Betaserc before/during and after the cruise

Cindy

I had "land-sickness" on our first cruise. I don't get seasick, so didn't use any thing like patches and such. I go on a lot of whale watching ships, boats, etc. and never had this land sickness problem. I didn't know what was wrong with me! I had to keep walking, every time I stopped I felt ill. On all our subsequent cruises, I didn't have that problem at all.