Avignon or Aix?

goaliemom66

goaliemom66,

We just returned from a land trip in Provence. We were based about 45 minutes from Avignon, but drove to Marseilles, Aix en Provence, and Cassis.

I really love Aix en Provence. It's a delightful city for strolling--great restaurants and cafes, very pretty markets, and beautiful fountains. It's a university town and quite lively.

It is also much closer to Marseilles than Avignon.

In Avignon, it was neat to visit the Palais des Papes, and see the bridge. Avignon is also a very beautiful city. I’m not sure I'd spend the significantly longer trip to reach it though.

I may be a bit traumatized--on the day we were driving from Marseilles (actually Cassis next door) back in the direction of Avignon to return to our rental, traffic was pretty intense on the A7 motorway. A trip that should have taken 90 minutes took 4 hours. This was a weekday in late June.

Hi Mpb43: Thanks for this great advice. Thinking that we would take the cruise tour to Aix or Avignon then spend the rest of the day walking around Marseille. Does this sound too ambitious? Maybe Aix & Marseille are better options?

You can definitely do both Aix and Marseilles. If you go to Avignon, you will have less time in Marseille, but it is still doable. Really, both Avignon and Aix are lovely towns, and so long as you don't run into traffic, Avignon should be just maybe 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes away. You will love this part of France!

Archived