How early do you arrive for embarkation

tgptmp

I prefer to arrive as early as possible. So I am just interested as to when you arrive for embarkation and any stories surrounding that. What is the earliest you have ever arrived? What is the earliest that you boarded? I think that alot of people would find these stories interesting for their own planning. Anyone ever see some arrive too late either for embaration or at a port? Has anyone ever missed a ship at a port?

We always spend the night at the port we are leaving from so we can arrive early to the pier!! We are usually at the pier by 11:00 and on the ship by 11:20. I love it!! Even if you have to wait in line it moves quickly, well in my experiences anyway.

Michelle

DH and I usually fly in at least 3 days ahead to spend some time before the cruise, so the morning of the cruise we get up, have breakfast, go to laundromat and wash any clothes that we may have used, re-pack the suitcases, relax on the beach for a while (we stay at the Lago Mar, which is right next to the cruise port) and head over to the port around 10:30. We don't mind waiting in line if we have to, it's just fun knowing you are that close to that big beautiful ship. Last December we were actually the first ones on the ship right after 2 wedding parties. Cannot wait!! :D

Sandy

Our first cruise, we let TA do it all. We got a two-leg flight when a one-leggWer was available, and they booked it so we arrived at the airport just in time for the last shuttle. We were onboard fifteen minutes before muster drill.

We are do-it-yourselfers now.

My first cruise was booked through a TA who told us we could not arrive at the port before 12 noon. We learned very quickly that we can arrive earlier then that. I know do my own booking and choosing. Since we live an hour away from the port we leave our house by 9am stop off at the store for any list minute items, get to the port around 10:30am and have checked in and usually on the ship by 11:30am. I want to make the most of my cruise days.

always on the ship by 12...somehow...i prefer to be there earlier than later - check out the ship before it sails..get acquianted so to speak:)) we always try to get into the city few days ahead to experience the city and then move on to the ship....i am already invisioning next trip...:-)

We arrive around 11 and are usually on the ship before 11:30....I figure boarding day is the 1st day of the cruise I've PAID for...I may as well use that ship! I wear my bathing suit under clothes and head straight to the pool (if the room isn't ready!)

We usually arrive in the port city at least 5 days prior to sailing. Usually we have to fly in, so why not utilize the opportunity to have a land vacation. A few times we have arrived at the pier around 9:30 and stood in the heat of San Juan long enough to shed a pound or two. Now, we arrive around 11:00. Getting on the ship as early as possible is a must with us, since we view embarkment day as day one for the cruise. Why waste time being off the ship when you've paid to be on it?

• 2 weeks later...

We fly in a day early and enjoy the city where we are staying. We like to get to the port by noon.

The last time I flew in the day of the cruise, my flight was delayed by 4 hours. I grabbed a cab ($60.00) and I arrived at the port (Long Beach) 15 minutes prior to the sail away. They allowed me to board, but I was was the last passenger aboard. :eek:

Never Again!!!:cool:

My friend read somewhere that if you show up at the port around 7:30am, there is an hour window where they offer upgrades because they want to fill the empty suites and penthouses first. Is this true?

We live in Vermont and it's a seven hour drive to the port and we were thinking of going the day ahead and showing up there this early.

Has anyone had this experience?

We usually fly in a day early, stay at a hotel by the beach. The morning of the cruise we will sleep in, walk the beach, and pick up any necessary items we may have forgotten or wanted to purchase after flying. We usually arrive at 11:00 or 11:30 so we can eat lunch on the ship. We have never had a problem getting on board that early, and usually our rooms were available at 1:00, so it was perfect timing after exploring the ship and eating lunch. This also gives us time to make sure our dinner reservations are made at any specialty restaurants, find our table in the MDR, and make any other reservations we may need to, before the ship becomes too crowded.

For our cruises we are always at the port by 1030-1045 or so and are checked in and have to wait till they allow boarding around 1130. I like getting on, have lunch at WJ and are waiting around 1pm to go to our cabin.

I see passengers going in and out of the closed doors to their cabins and I am so tempted to see if I can get in early but always wait till 1pm.

Laura

• 3 weeks later...

Well since we live close to most of the ports in Florida , we like to arrive early, around 11am and we are usually aboard by 11:30. We go and eat( usally get a yummy cuban sandwich from the deli or mongolian grill) and then go straight to the serenity deck if they have one on the ship, plant ourselves in the hot tub and chill. We usally have just a small carryon backpack and before muster drill we go down to the room, put our luggage away in the room, go to muster , after muster we drop off our life vest and right back up to the serenity deck with a foo foo drink and ready for sail away!!!! We usually make a pit stop and book any excursions that we want to book through the ship (most of the time we book private excursions at home long before the cruise) AHHH perfect way to enjoy the first day on the cruise! Heck you pay for the day so you might as well get on the ship as soon as you can and start enjoying the amenities!!!!

My niece usually runs up to the spa to book her treatments and volunteer if they need one (free treatments)!!! smart girl she is!

:D

We are taking a taxi to the port for the very first time. Thought about arriving right at 11 a.m.

Nervous though that if there have been any delays w/ ship docking that morning........will they still let the taxi drop us off at the doors of the terminal? Even if we have to wait?

We love arriving around 10:30 or so on all our cruises.

I know sometimes in the past though, when there were delays they would make us park in a different holding parking lot until time to park in regular area. If we are there by taxi, will we be allowed a place to hang out at terminal?

We are departing from Mobile for the very first time, and have read some reviews where there are alot of delays because of the harbour being so crowded and or fog.

Any information on this would be greatly appreciated. :) I only ask on this thread because you all are experienced cruisers also, and seem to like to arrive early as we do.

My friend read somewhere that if you show up at the port around 7:30am, there is an hour window where they offer upgrades because they want to fill the empty suites and penthouses first. Is this true?

We live in Vermont and it's a seven hour drive to the port and we were thinking of going the day ahead and showing up there this early.

Has anyone had this experience?

I Would Like to know the answer to this question as well!!!! Anyone happen to know if this is true???? :eek:

Donna :D

Archived